996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Should I tint the windows on my 02 996 Coupe?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-06-2010, 11:46 PM
BallJee is infamous around these parts
Should I tint the windows on my 02 996 Coupe?

I recently bought an 02 996 Coupe in Silver/Gray. Thinking whether I should tint the windows or not. Smoke/Bronze? How dark? Legal tint or all windows with same shade? Any one has pictures for tinted xx Silver 996 Coupe to help me decide? Thanks.

Old 01-07-2010, 12:22 AM
kent996 is infamous around these parts
i would like to tint the rear windows if i have a silver 996. buddy, i like your 2002 996, nice color, is it black inside? i am in the market now for a 2002+ 996

Old 01-07-2010, 11:52 AM
150shot is infamous around these parts
Yes tint them. The darker windows will bring out the color of your car as sort of an opposite shade type effect.

At least a medium shade for me all around.

Old 01-07-2010, 12:40 PM
mathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond repute
Do it! At least something light all around.

Old 01-07-2010, 01:12 PM
Chickenplucker is infamous around these parts
Just like mine

I have an 02 coupe seal grey. The first thing I did was tint the windows - here in Houston, it's a must for the summertime. I put the darkest limo tint (2%?) on the back and sides with the darkest legal (35% I think) on the driver and passenger windows. I used the smoked heat-rejecting film and it lowers the temp significantly inside. Looks cool too with the back blacked-out and kills the glare from headlights at night without flipping the mirror. I think the bronze would clash, but that's just me.

Old 01-07-2010, 02:10 PM
M3Armand is infamous around these parts
No. If I had to do it over again I won't. Why? That's because the outer edges of the rear side windows and the rear window have these "little dots" that will prevent the tint from adhering to them properly. Thus, you will see unsightly "bubbles" around these edges. It looks messy. So my vote is "no". If I could take it off cleanly, I would.

Old 01-07-2010, 02:43 PM
L8braker is a name known to allL8braker is a name known to allL8braker is a name known to allL8braker is a name known to allL8braker is a name known to allL8braker is a name known to all
I tinted mine and it looks great....harder to see out of a night though.

Old 01-07-2010, 05:45 PM
FLY996 has much to be proud ofFLY996 has much to be proud ofFLY996 has much to be proud ofFLY996 has much to be proud ofFLY996 has much to be proud ofFLY996 has much to be proud ofFLY996 has much to be proud ofFLY996 has much to be proud ofFLY996 has much to be proud of
Escape the fishbowl!

30% Huper Optic
Name:  P6.jpg
Views: 2622
Size:  100.7 KB

Old 01-07-2010, 06:32 PM
jr1966 is just really nicejr1966 is just really nicejr1966 is just really nicejr1966 is just really nicejr1966 is just really nice
That is the first thing I did on my car. As my car is a cab of which I would not be able to tint the rear plastic window, I put in the lightest tint so as to keep the interior view out all the windows as balanced as possible. I would go a little bit darker for a Coupe. There are several advantages going with tint. It blocks a lot of heat, blocks most if not all UV rays so less UV damage on the interior, provides additional security when the car is parked as stuff inside the car would not be as visible as without tint, and it gives more privacy when driving around. Go with whatever is legal in where you live but, IMO, not bronze.

Old 01-07-2010, 08:48 PM
xquizitcustoms is a jewel in the roughxquizitcustoms is a jewel in the roughxquizitcustoms is a jewel in the roughxquizitcustoms is a jewel in the rough
Looks so much better tinted

Old 01-07-2010, 09:10 PM
jmla is just really nicejmla is just really nicejmla is just really nicejmla is just really nicejmla is just really nice
NO tint on sportscars, especially on contrasting light colors like white and silver. Here's cap'sx51's car, see how clean it looks without tint? I say add some coil-overs and wheel spacers instead of the film.

Attached Images  

Last edited by jmla; 01-07-2010 at 09:24 PM.
Old 01-07-2010, 11:22 PM
judgejon has a spectacular aura aboutjudgejon has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by jmla
NO tint on sportscars, especially on contrasting light colors like white and silver. Here's cap'sx51's car, see how clean it looks without tint? I say add some coil-overs and wheel spacers instead of the film.
agreed

Old 01-07-2010, 11:49 PM
RaphaelP has much to be proud ofRaphaelP has much to be proud ofRaphaelP has much to be proud ofRaphaelP has much to be proud ofRaphaelP has much to be proud ofRaphaelP has much to be proud ofRaphaelP has much to be proud ofRaphaelP has much to be proud ofRaphaelP has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by jmla
+996!!!

I bought my car used 2 years ago & it had tint already on it. I've never liked it but never got around to removing it. Last night while installing my rollbar I finally removed the rear tint & IMO the car looks a million times better. I'm waiting to find the best tint as far as UV protection goes so I can replace the sides with one that is practically clear but just has the UV protection (I live in SD, so I need it).

Tint is for luxury cars or SUVs. Sports cars should never use tint, chrome wheels, etc. The only exception is if you have an all out blacked out evil looking car. I'm talking black GT3 with CF RS wing, anodized black CCWs, yellow enduro style headlights, etc.

Last edited by RaphaelP; 01-07-2010 at 11:52 PM.
Old 01-08-2010, 12:20 AM
jr1966 is just really nicejr1966 is just really nicejr1966 is just really nicejr1966 is just really nicejr1966 is just really nice
Originally Posted by RaphaelP
+996!!!

I bought my car used 2 years ago & it had tint already on it. I've never liked it but never got around to removing it. Last night while installing my rollbar I finally removed the rear tint & IMO the car looks a million times better. I'm waiting to find the best tint as far as UV protection goes so I can replace the sides with one that is practically clear but just has the UV protection (I live in SD, so I need it).

Tint is for luxury cars or SUVs. Sports cars should never use tint, chrome wheels, etc. The only exception is if you have an all out blacked out evil looking car. I'm talking black GT3 with CF RS wing, anodized black CCWs, yellow enduro style headlights, etc.
Our tint shop here have a real-clear tint that blocks 99% UV rays and heat. I saw in the tint shop a vintage Beetle that has it and it is totally clear any person who doesn't know would bet hard that it isn't tinted at all. The tint came from Japan though so check with your tint shop if they have it.

But then, with the economy going the way it is, and car break-ins are getting to be very often, even a light tint would help darken the interior at night to make stuff less visible for petty thieves. It should help lower the chances of car break-ins, specially for a cabriolet. Just my opinion.

Old 01-08-2010, 12:34 AM
dfwerdoc has much to be proud ofdfwerdoc has much to be proud ofdfwerdoc has much to be proud ofdfwerdoc has much to be proud ofdfwerdoc has much to be proud ofdfwerdoc has much to be proud ofdfwerdoc has much to be proud ofdfwerdoc has much to be proud ofdfwerdoc has much to be proud ofdfwerdoc has much to be proud of
yes yes yes ..... i did a ton of research on this and i went with formula one pinnacle at 35 percent. it's the best money can buy

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Should I tint the windows on my 02 996 Coupe?