996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

GT2 Style Wing installed on my C4S

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-16-2004, 02:55 PM
keoni1978 is infamous around these parts
WOW...its a home run with that wing Tim!!! Great job Misha for the new hottest spoiler

Old 12-16-2004, 02:57 PM
TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !
The problem with these cars(996) is that as you increase the downforce on the back of the car air tends to get under the front. This is why porsche sells aero kits as a whole front and rear for road use. The aero kit for a C4S consists of a rear spoiler with similar aerodynamic characteristics as Misha's(a short GT2) and a front splitter to eliminate air under the car at speed. It's generally ok to add a front chin by itself, but when you add the wing, ypou really need the splitter for high speed stability.
If you look at the turbo peice, there are other subtle differences laterally and anteriorly. These minor tweeks are wind-tunnel tested in Stuttgart, and give high speed stability. Otherwise porsche would have the same notched peice for both the c4s and tt, much cheaper.If you just drive it on the street, probably won't make a difference, but take it to the track and you'll see.
just look at any 996 rce car/cup car, they will have a massive wing and an equally radical splitter.
Racing 101 dismissed.

Old 12-16-2004, 04:10 PM
Banned
Tim W. is infamous around these parts
Chris:

Did you get the Aero lip or just a stock TT lip?

And as for the bumperetts I am going to get the whole lower trim painted at that time to So that is coming

And thanks again for the feedback. Like I said before I was not 100% sure of the wing. I did not want a ricer wing on the car.

Old 12-16-2004, 07:37 PM
oalvarez is infamous around these parts
that wing is tremendous, it fits the wide bodies just perfectly (seems just a touch too big for a narrow body). the red and the techarts just set it off as a real "one of a kind."

enjoy that ride, one of the prettiest on the board.

Old 12-16-2004, 10:05 PM
TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !
TT lip, almost identicle, fraction of the price.

Old 12-16-2004, 10:46 PM
Mowateriology is infamous around these partsMowateriology is infamous around these parts
very wise move, great mod
the color itself adds a lot to the overall look

you have a winner, enjoy it well

Old 12-17-2004, 11:51 AM
Captain Tal is infamous around these parts
Tim,

I have almost pulled the trigger on this wing twice but each time backed out because I am concerned about aeroydynamic instability from a wing that has not undergone any testing.

The buffeting you are experiencing above 80MPH is disconcerting. I run my car very fast and on the track and cannot bolt on a piece that will affect car stability. Do you have any further observations and do you plan to put on a Turbo Lip?

Old 12-17-2004, 09:24 PM
Tal,
I did note the same kind of thing, that's why I went with the turbo lip, it seems perfect now. I track mine alot and drive it hard/fast, so far 115mph steady and firm.
I had/have the same concern, remember any kit out there, unless it's the porsche aerokit has undergone zero wind tunnel testing. Misha's is copied from a gt2 and lowered, gaining the same effect as the porsche aero wing. The lip porsche adds is nearly identical to the tt lip.Porsche makes a big stink about the fact that you must change out the lip as well as thespoiler. The tt lip is designed for that body with a wing.
I'll let you know how it is on the track. Remember Tim's car is slightly different than ours in that it is lowered and runs 19's. That may play a role as well. The buffeting that I experienced was very slight, almost un-noticable, almost.
Just to add salt to the wound, there was a c4s aerokit on ebay, went for 600$!! I missed out on that.
Chris

Last edited by TT Surgeon; 12-17-2004 at 09:28 PM.
Old 12-17-2004, 10:43 PM
Captain Tal is infamous around these parts
Thanks for the feedback. I think it will be necessary to replace the lip spoiler as well. Any idea what a TT lip spolier costs?

Old 12-17-2004, 10:51 PM
Suncoast porsche has it for 219$, Pelican 279$, dealer 319$.
Used 100$(got a great deal on mine).
I think you gotta have it if you do a wing and take it to the track, any wing. At least his is copied from a gt2, not some strange looking eurotrash creation with no WT testing.