996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Rear Wing Removal Process 996

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-25-2010, 07:53 PM
Rthomson is infamous around these partsRthomson is infamous around these parts
Rear Wing Removal Process 996

Ok, I've looked and looked on the 6speed and Renntech sites and can't seem to find the instructions on how to remove the stock rear wing (retractable). Does anyone know of where I might be able to find the info?

Much appreciated!

Old 02-25-2010, 09:07 PM
psusteve is infamous around these parts
wing removal...

The entire deck unit is held in by 4 bolts only. The wing unit inside the deck is held in place by a hinged mechanism contained inside the black housing that is attached to the bottom side of the deck lid. All of it is fairly easy to unbolt. But you will need to remove the wiring harness for the unit that is attached to the deck lid and replace it with an alternate harness to avoid the light that will illuminate on your dash. If you want directions, I'd start by looking on websites for aftermarket wing sellers. They usually post some instructions. Steve

Old 02-25-2010, 11:21 PM
gentileprs is infamous around these parts
It is an easy job if you have the right tool . At Porsche dealer they can take it off in two minutes.
That is what I did with mine.

Old 02-26-2010, 09:33 PM
NOLA911 Is a GOD !NOLA911 Is a GOD !NOLA911 Is a GOD !NOLA911 Is a GOD !NOLA911 Is a GOD !NOLA911 Is a GOD !NOLA911 Is a GOD !NOLA911 Is a GOD !NOLA911 Is a GOD !NOLA911 Is a GOD !NOLA911 Is a GOD !
The right tool.. an allen wrench? I couldnt find the instructions either and searched all the sites tonight before I started taking it all apart

What are you trying to accomplish, taking JUST the retractable part out or the entire decklid. The decklid is easy and quick, the retractable part takes longer but is pretty simple.

To take the lid off- two bolts on each side and your done.

To take the retractable part off only-
In my case, the wing I was installing went in the place of the lifting portion of the OEM lid. First, open the lid and look up at the bottom. There are "plugs" for the rubber that fills the gap between the wing and lid when open. They are held in by friction - to get them out, tap them from the bottom and catch the friction washers.

Next, there are 8 or so allen head bolts that hold the mechanisms and rams to the bottom of the lid. Take those all the way out.

Raise the wing with the switch and unplug the harness from the rear right of the engine bay. There are two small rods connecting the rams to the lid- held on by C-Clips. Take both off and remove the lid.

Now, everything should come loose from the top and the bottom of the lid. I took my fan off too, because now there is no wiring harness connecting it.