996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

New Center Console mods

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-26-2010, 07:55 PM
jr1966 is just really nicejr1966 is just really nicejr1966 is just really nicejr1966 is just really nicejr1966 is just really nice
New Center Console mods

Got my car back yesterday and this is just a part of the stuff that was done on the car.

Silver-painted center console up to the aircon vents, new shift ****, B&M SSK with Agency Shifter Linkage.

The B&M is really short and stiff. Needs a lot of effort to shift but it is way better than the stock 996 shifter. A bit of notchiness going into first, but that's about it. There was some notchiness with the stock shifter anyway going into first. But, yes, the "extra effort". I just have to emphasize on that. Am I happy? Yes I am. I go to the gym for weight training so the extra effort is a non-issue.

The silver trimming is not yet complete. I am still waiting for the driver and passenger side vents to come in.

Next up for the interior.........e-brake handle with silver trimming (which is around $450) and possibly a 3-spoke steering wheel (much more $$$).

Here's a couple of "before" shots.

Old 02-27-2010, 01:17 AM
tarzancoe is infamous around these parts
I really like it. Was it hard to change AC to lower?

Old 02-27-2010, 06:09 AM
nijoma has much to be proud ofnijoma has much to be proud ofnijoma has much to be proud ofnijoma has much to be proud ofnijoma has much to be proud ofnijoma has much to be proud ofnijoma has much to be proud ofnijoma has much to be proud ofnijoma has much to be proud of
Looks great

I like the silver and black. I am doing the same upgrades and it is nice to see the sea a plastic changed out. I like the shifter and boot also.

Old 02-27-2010, 08:23 AM
Banned
jstrat85 is a name known to alljstrat85 is a name known to alljstrat85 is a name known to alljstrat85 is a name known to alljstrat85 is a name known to alljstrat85 is a name known to all
very nice! glad you like the b&m shifter.

Old 02-27-2010, 08:52 AM
3-spoke, with some luck, about $700 with airbag. Sometimes even better. Or, you can go with a fdv.com wheel... very cool... more $$$$$. Gemballa uses this wheels in their cars for example.

Old 02-27-2010, 10:12 AM
bavorak is a name known to allbavorak is a name known to allbavorak is a name known to allbavorak is a name known to allbavorak is a name known to allbavorak is a name known to all
Very nice upgrade, I really like the relocation of the temp controls and the clean install of the NAV screen. The shifter is a nice touch also, so basically everything you did looks well worth the time and money:-)

Old 02-27-2010, 11:10 AM
bjarne996 is infamous around these parts
Very good upgrade! Looks awesome!!

Did you paint the original parts? If so, can you provide a description on how you managed to get the professional looking results?

Thanks,
Bjarne

Old 02-27-2010, 02:02 PM
Omarcoolguy has a brilliant futureOmarcoolguy has a brilliant futureOmarcoolguy has a brilliant futureOmarcoolguy has a brilliant futureOmarcoolguy has a brilliant futureOmarcoolguy has a brilliant futureOmarcoolguy has a brilliant futureOmarcoolguy has a brilliant futureOmarcoolguy has a brilliant futureOmarcoolguy has a brilliant futureOmarcoolguy has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by tarzancoe

real simple to do ...u just need the new a/c trim

Old 02-27-2010, 02:07 PM
Omarcoolguy has a brilliant futureOmarcoolguy has a brilliant futureOmarcoolguy has a brilliant futureOmarcoolguy has a brilliant futureOmarcoolguy has a brilliant futureOmarcoolguy has a brilliant futureOmarcoolguy has a brilliant futureOmarcoolguy has a brilliant futureOmarcoolguy has a brilliant futureOmarcoolguy has a brilliant futureOmarcoolguy has a brilliant future
looks good .they sell a wheel cover that acctually looks decent, i have one. but i still plan on getting a new wheel soon

u sew it on

Old 02-27-2010, 03:06 PM
Basic Sponsor
PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by jr1966
Got my car back yesterday and this is just a part of the stuff that was done on the car.

Silver-painted center console up to the aircon vents, new shift ****, B&M SSK with Agency Shifter Linkage.

The B&M is really short and stiff. Needs a lot of effort to shift but it is way better than the stock 996 shifter. A bit of notchiness going into first, but that's about it. There was some notchiness with the stock shifter anyway going into first. But, yes, the "extra effort". I just have to emphasize on that. Am I happy? Yes I am. I go to the gym for weight training so the extra effort is a non-issue.

The silver trimming is not yet complete. I am still waiting for the driver and passenger side vents to come in.

Next up for the interior.........e-brake handle with silver trimming (which is around $450) and possibly a 3-spoke steering wheel (much more $$$).
very nice jr. I am selling my three spoke steering wheel with airbag if you're interested.

Edwin

Old 02-27-2010, 06:31 PM
150shot is infamous around these parts
10x better, congrats on the good work!

Old 02-27-2010, 06:32 PM
jr1966 is just really nicejr1966 is just really nicejr1966 is just really nicejr1966 is just really nicejr1966 is just really nice
Not really even though I didn't do it myself as I don't have time to DIY. Like Omar said, you just need the a/c trim. It is an OEM part.

Originally Posted by nijoma
I like the silver and black. I am doing the same upgrades and it is nice to see the sea a plastic changed out. I like the shifter and boot also.
I believe you are basically doing something similar but in your blue color?

Originally Posted by jstrat85
very nice! glad you like the b&m shifter.
It needs getting used to. The first time I drove it off the indy's shop, I was telling myself that I should've gotten the 997 shifter . But the more I drive it, the more I like it . It is definitely a LOT shorter even compared to the UUC Evo SSK I had in my BMW roadster (but that shifted very smoothly & a bit longer throw so I would assume the 997 shifter feel is closer to the UUC's BMW SSK). So, it will stay. One thing I noticed is if it is in the neutral position, moving it left (between 1st & 2nd) doesn't take much effort but moving it right (between 5th & 6th) requires a bit more effort.....something like there is a stronger spring. Is this normal?

3-spoke, with some luck, about $700 with airbag. Sometimes even better. Or, you can go with a fdv.com wheel... very cool... more $$$$$. Gemballa uses this wheels in their cars for example.
I'm wondering if anyone have any knowledge about this ebay seller and the product.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...#ht_1138wt_939

Originally Posted by bjarne996
Did you paint the original parts? If so, can you provide a description on how you managed to get the professional looking results?
I had it painted by the same guy that sells the double-DIN kit. Ebay seller euromotorspeed. I bought the silver center console from him, so just to make sure everything matches, I ordered the rest of the center pieces from him and asked to paint them for me.

Originally Posted by Omarcoolguy
looks good .they sell a wheel cover that acctually looks decent, i have one. but i still plan on getting a new wheel soon

u sew it on

Yes, I've seen this product in a BMW catalog. It is actually a good option if I decide that a 3-spoke wheel would be out of my budget.

Originally Posted by PrecisionPorsch
very nice jr. I am selling my three spoke steering wheel with airbag if you're interested.

Edwin
PM sent.

Old 02-28-2010, 06:53 AM
FLY996 has much to be proud ofFLY996 has much to be proud ofFLY996 has much to be proud ofFLY996 has much to be proud ofFLY996 has much to be proud ofFLY996 has much to be proud ofFLY996 has much to be proud ofFLY996 has much to be proud ofFLY996 has much to be proud of
Nice job. Are you going to paint the horizontal strips (to tie together the air vents)?

Old 02-28-2010, 03:26 PM
Originally Posted by Psycho Sid
Hey guys,

Nice mods!

Just had a lot of interior pieces painted red and re-upholstered some others myself.
It was easier than I thought (the re-upholstering) will post some pics when the car is put back together again (I think I need to have 10 post before I can attach pics though).

Again congrats!

Cheers,

Sid.
i'd like details on reupholstering the dash. I wonder if no need to take it off (a pain).

Old 02-28-2010, 05:53 PM
Originally Posted by FLY996
Nice job. Are you going to paint the horizontal strips (to tie together the air vents)?
I thought about it. But when I found out the process of removing the dash to access the rear clips behind the strip, I thought it may not be worth the effort. Another way to do this is to destroy what is currently there, remove the mounting clips behind the new painted strips and just glue them on. However, I don't like the idea of hacking up the dash. Therefore, until I see some pics of this painted strip and how they contribute to the overall look of the dash, I don't think I would do it.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: New Center Console mods