996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Lighting Upgrades

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-04-2010, 12:00 AM
rennwerkes is a splendid one to beholdrennwerkes is a splendid one to beholdrennwerkes is a splendid one to beholdrennwerkes is a splendid one to beholdrennwerkes is a splendid one to beholdrennwerkes is a splendid one to beholdrennwerkes is a splendid one to behold
Just installed a pair of Nokya H6W led parking lights.
I like the nice white light it puts out but FYI, they do not have the same light output as the original halogen. I thought it'd be a bit brighter but it's not.
I guess it's more of a cosmetic upgrade since the whiteness of the led will match the HID color better.
I'm guessing as LED technology improves we'll see brighter leds show up. Given the price of the Nokya bulbs you'd think they could use Lumineds (sp?) or Cree! LOL!

Old 06-08-2010, 10:53 AM
geetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by rennwerkes
Just installed a pair of Nokya H6W led parking lights.
I like the nice white light it puts out but FYI, they do not have the same light output as the original halogen. I thought it'd be a bit brighter but it's not.
I guess it's more of a cosmetic upgrade since the whiteness of the led will match the HID color better.
I'm guessing as LED technology improves we'll see brighter leds show up. Given the price of the Nokya bulbs you'd think they could use Lumineds (sp?) or Cree! LOL!
They're not brighter? My parking LED's are definately brighter than the halogens when compared at night in the garage. I got mine from superbright.

Old 06-08-2010, 01:40 PM
rennwerkes is a splendid one to beholdrennwerkes is a splendid one to beholdrennwerkes is a splendid one to beholdrennwerkes is a splendid one to beholdrennwerkes is a splendid one to beholdrennwerkes is a splendid one to beholdrennwerkes is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by geetee
They're not brighter? My parking LED's are definately brighter than the halogens when compared at night in the garage. I got mine from superbright.
Hmmm...I didn't think so.
They're definitely whiter but didn't think they were "brighter".
I'll have to double check.
I also ordered a pair of 1w led to see if they'll be better.

Old 06-08-2010, 01:46 PM
geetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant future
I'd have to double check but I think mine had 5 or 6 leds in each bulb.

Old 06-08-2010, 02:17 PM
Originally Posted by geetee
I'd have to double check but I think mine had 5 or 6 leds in each bulb.
Mine did too.
1 on top, 4 around the sides.

Old 06-08-2010, 07:21 PM
jr1966 is just really nicejr1966 is just really nicejr1966 is just really nicejr1966 is just really nicejr1966 is just really nice
My LEDs are very bright as you can see in my first pic. Some LEDs are brighter than the others. Can you post a pic of the LED bulb you used?

Old 10-22-2010, 08:42 AM
split is infamous around these partssplit is infamous around these partssplit is infamous around these partssplit is infamous around these parts
has anyone done the 3rd brake light LED strips? one of my bulbs is burned out so it gives me an excuse to replace the whole thing..

Old 10-22-2010, 11:05 AM
Sharky996 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by split
has anyone done the 3rd brake light LED strips? one of my bulbs is burned out so it gives me an excuse to replace the whole thing..
Yes, they're very bright. A real upgrade. I'd recommend them. But they'll easily be the brightest lights on your rear.

Old 10-22-2010, 08:24 PM
MkC2S has much to be proud ofMkC2S has much to be proud ofMkC2S has much to be proud ofMkC2S has much to be proud ofMkC2S has much to be proud ofMkC2S has much to be proud ofMkC2S has much to be proud ofMkC2S has much to be proud ofMkC2S has much to be proud of
got mine in smoke...look so much better than oem...IMO....here's a few pic 4 u: it look white b/c of the camera flash

if it's too bright than the other lights on the rear..than I would recommend getting the led tail lights also...great upgrade.

Last edited by MkC2S; 10-22-2010 at 08:29 PM.
Old 10-22-2010, 08:27 PM
jr1966 is just really nicejr1966 is just really nicejr1966 is just really nicejr1966 is just really nicejr1966 is just really nice
Originally Posted by Sharky996
Yes, they're very bright. A real upgrade. I'd recommend them. But they'll easily be the brightest lights on your rear.
Yeah, they look great. However, when I replaced my retractable wing with an aero wing and got a cover for the top one, I had to remove both. That is when I noticed that the one most frequently used (the one on the top cab cover), some of the LEDs were not lighting up. I never noticed this as I always drive the car and got to notice this only when my indy mechanic was moving it around inside his garage. So that kinda makes me skeptical about its long-term quality (and the LED 3rd brake light was only around 6 months old with only a few hundred miles).

Anyone else with failed LED 3rd brake lights here?

Old 04-09-2011, 08:08 PM
Since we're on lighting upgrades was wondering if anyone has tried a different D2S bulb and found they don't fit quite as well as the OEM one?
I wanted to try a 6000k bulb so ended up picking one up on Ebay.
When I tried installing, it just didn't fit as tightly as the OEM bulb.
Anyone else run into this problem? If so, what did you end up doing?
While it seems as though the electrical connector will keep everything in place, I'm just not happy knowing the bulb isn't as secure as it should be.

Old 04-10-2011, 12:21 AM
Stingray2006 has a spectacular aura aboutStingray2006 has a spectacular aura about
For front just buy this : Osram Cool Blue Intense D2S. These are original lamps which are also now fitted to Mercedes. There are very nice.

Kras

Old 04-10-2011, 05:15 PM
Originally Posted by Stingray2006
For front just buy this : Osram Cool Blue Intense D2S. These are original lamps which are also now fitted to Mercedes. There are very nice.

Kras
Thanks Kras, I'll check it out.

Old 04-13-2011, 10:34 AM
Long Islander has a spectacular aura aboutLong Islander has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by MkC2
I don't get it...mine uses the angle pin (BAX9S)..I think my car is US spec. or is it?? how do you tell ?......could it be just the headlight unit and not the spec cars.....maybe my headlight was order from Europe..
I replaced the front and rear signal bulbs on my car and they are all 7506 (as indicated in the manual), where the pins are "straight" or at the 9 o'clock and 3 o'clock positions. Some bulb charts specify 7507 and PY21W, which have pins at 9 o'clock and 4 o'clock positions. These are not the correct ones for a 2001 US-spec car like mine. It's possible that these are used outside the US, or that US models after 2001 use these -- I don't know which.

Old 04-16-2011, 12:44 PM
Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !
Thumbs up

Hey Jr. great thread! I'm definitely hitting the rep points button!
Looks awesome !