996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Need 996 C4 Brake replacement help

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-21-2010, 09:38 PM
PassWithCare is infamous around these parts
Need 996 C4 Brake replacement help

Greetings.

In Costa Mesa, CA and would like to find someone with hands on brakepad replacement experience to guide me through an installation. I am pretty sure it's not rocket science but at the same time I really don't want to risk following a DIY myself. I have floorjack, jack stands, impact wrench etc.. pretty much ready to go (do need to order parts) but would like someone who's done this before to look over my shoulder.
I have beer and several bottles of fairly good wine (for you to depart with) for your trouble.. week days or weekends.

Thanks gang

Old 03-22-2010, 02:26 PM
trelomialo is infamous around these parts
youtube instructions, its actually very easy. just have to kno the basics.

Old 03-23-2010, 01:15 AM
uberpoop has a reputation beyond reputeuberpoop has a reputation beyond reputeuberpoop has a reputation beyond reputeuberpoop has a reputation beyond reputeuberpoop has a reputation beyond reputeuberpoop has a reputation beyond reputeuberpoop has a reputation beyond reputeuberpoop has a reputation beyond reputeuberpoop has a reputation beyond reputeuberpoop has a reputation beyond reputeuberpoop has a reputation beyond repute
I have done it once on my C4... very simple job. Well, just the pads, I didn't do the rotors.
There is a DIY on renntech that is great.
Check it out... if you still want a hand, let me know.

Oh, and a heads up: the parts desk at newport will give a break if you show your pca card.

Old 03-24-2010, 09:46 PM
Thanks to both who posted. I've ordered parts, located some great instruction on Rennlist and Youtube. Looking forward to tackling the job. The part I am most confused about is bleeding the lines. According to Loren at Rennlist - unless you have caliper piston damage, there's no need to bleed the line..

Of course I already bought the auto/power bleeder.

Old 03-24-2010, 10:27 PM
more brake replacement info

Found a tremendous link. Actually a Boxster brake system but almost identical in terms of parts and procedure. Clear step-by-step instructions with detailed photographs. Includes various bleeding techniques, rotor replacement etc.

http://www.bombaydigital.com/boxster/projects/brakes/

Old 03-24-2010, 10:30 PM
beegee is infamous around these parts
changing the rotors is actually easier than swapping the pads. all, in all, it's a pretty easy DIY job, even for the technically challenged. the bombaydigital link you found is what I followed and it's pretty straight-forward.

Old 03-25-2010, 09:35 AM
John L is infamous around these parts
+1 on it being very easy and straightforward. You can do it with those instructions and you'll be very pleased when you're finished.

Old 03-25-2010, 01:28 PM
uberpoop has a reputation beyond reputeuberpoop has a reputation beyond reputeuberpoop has a reputation beyond reputeuberpoop has a reputation beyond reputeuberpoop has a reputation beyond reputeuberpoop has a reputation beyond reputeuberpoop has a reputation beyond reputeuberpoop has a reputation beyond reputeuberpoop has a reputation beyond reputeuberpoop has a reputation beyond reputeuberpoop has a reputation beyond repute
PassWithCare- Let me know if you still want some one to pretend to help when you do this... I was too wimpy to try bleeding/flushing out my fluid, but want to try it sometime.

Old 03-25-2010, 01:29 PM
beegee is infamous around these parts
the Motive Power Bleeder makes the bleeding process super easy.

Old 03-26-2010, 03:00 PM
GriffC4S is infamous around these parts
If you don't know when the last time the brake fluid was replaced, it should be replaced every 2 years for normal driving. Get the best, Motul Brake Fluid, for a little more money. The process is the same for bleeding the brakes ( make sure you bleed ALL 4 corners), you bleed until new brake fluid shows up in the bottle. I would also use the MOTIVE system, it is automatically pulls the brake fluid thru the lines until you get fresh fluid in the bottle, always making sure that there is plenty of fluid in the brake fluid reservoir. However when replacing pads, if you need to remove the calipers, just hang up inside of the wheel well with strong wire, while not disconnecting the brake line) until you put them back (with new bolts). If you haven't broken thru to he sensors, you do not have to replace the sensors and save the 50 bucks. Replacing rotors is advised, and as pointed out, is really quite simple to do. With all the parts on hand, after jacking up the car, shouldn't take longer than an hour to do the fronts. You can do one side at a time if that is easier.But I usually jack up both sides and put stands under the car, but I have 2 floor jacks.

Old 03-28-2010, 11:24 AM
Originally Posted by uberpoop
PassWithCare- Let me know if you still want some one to pretend to help when you do this... I was too wimpy to try bleeding/flushing out my fluid, but want to try it sometime.
I will definitely let you know what my plans are.. you still have your 996?

Old 03-28-2010, 11:42 AM
Originally Posted by beegee
the Motive Power Bleeder makes the bleeding process super easy.
Yes.. I bought one. I am just hoping it's fairly intuitive.. sounds like the procedure is fairly straightforward.

1. add new fluid to reservoir
2. attach pump, pump pressure up
3. at caliper attach bleeder hose
4. bleed till fluid color changes

Jason at Pelican suggested I bleed them prior to installing new pads. His point being that i definitely don't want to spill fluid on the new pads and given I don't have any experience .. might be best to 'experiment ' before new pads are installed.

Old 03-28-2010, 11:46 AM
JB Lifeguard Is a GOD !JB Lifeguard Is a GOD !JB Lifeguard Is a GOD !JB Lifeguard Is a GOD !JB Lifeguard Is a GOD !JB Lifeguard Is a GOD !JB Lifeguard Is a GOD !JB Lifeguard Is a GOD !JB Lifeguard Is a GOD !JB Lifeguard Is a GOD !JB Lifeguard Is a GOD !
the hardest task i found replacing my pads was to separate the vibration dampeners from the back of the old pads. i could not get them out, unless i did this step. Finally, i had to use a 2" paint scraper.
otherwise, it was easy peasy.

jb

Old 03-28-2010, 07:00 PM
Originally Posted by PassWithCare
I will definitely let you know what my plans are.. you still have your 996?
sure do... '01 C4 daily driver.

Old 03-28-2010, 07:01 PM
geetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant future
Just changing the pads very easy. You should be able to change all 4 in an hour or so. In summary...
1. Loosen wheel bolts then jack car up. Then remove wheels.
2. Remove the pin with a plier that holds the bolt in.(the bolt is at the top of the caliper in the center. The small pins towards the inside. Just pull straight upward)
3. Tap the bolt inward and remove it. I used a a small bolt and lightly tapped it with a hammer
4. When you remove the bolt, the pad retainer will pop out.
5. Use a screw driver and move each pads in and out. You don't need that much pressure and you can feel the space open up. Expand it all the way so that there is enough space for the new pads.
6. Remove the pad sensors. I zip tied em as I didn't install them back.
6. Use an surgical blade or such to separate the vibration dampeners.
7. Take the old pads out and drop in the new pads. Make sure the vibration dampeners are still in the right location.
Just reinstall everything back and you're done.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Need 996 C4 Brake replacement help