996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Noobie to the Porsche family

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-13-2010, 10:03 AM
GT3Gavin is infamous around these parts
Yup, just throw the clutch all the way in and then you can start over. If you have a nice empty road to practice on. You should be able to drive the car with only your left foot. It takes practice but if you can drive the car and go through all gears (1-6) with clutch only and cruise around. After that, you should be fine to drive around without a problem. The hardest part will be getting the car to move with your left foot only.

Trust me, you are gonna feel like your leg/foot is not moving on the clutch but still go slower haha. Don't forget - if you get stuck in traffic and somebody honks at you just tell them to **** off and don't think about em. Good luck.

Last edited by GT3Gavin; 04-13-2010 at 10:10 AM.
Old 04-13-2010, 10:13 AM
radgirl is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by gt2rs6
im sure you will be fine ... no cat **** smell no grinding NOOOO problem lol.. only practice will help you..and every car is different so learning in a civic will not make you a pro in your car.. just stick to your car and you will get it for sure..
That's exactly why I didn't want to learn in any other vehicle. I will continue to practice in my 911. Sounds like the car can handle a little more abuse than what I thought.

Old 04-13-2010, 10:16 AM
Originally Posted by GT3Gavin
Yup, just throw the clutch all the way in and then you can start over. If you have a nice empty road to practice on. You should be able to drive the car with only your left foot. It takes practice but if you can drive the car and go through all gears (1-6) with clutch only and cruise around. After that, you should be fine to drive around without a problem. The hardest part will be getting the car to move with your left foot only.

Trust me, you are gonna feel like your leg/foot is not moving on the clutch but still go slower haha. Don't forget - if you get stuck in traffic and somebody honks at you just tell them to **** off and don't think about em. Good luck.
OMG, thank you! That's what I needed to hear. I've been practicing in empty lots and around my town when there is little traffic. Ok, this is going to sound really stupid, but how on earth do I drive with just the clutch and gear through all 6 gears? Yes, getting the car to move with only the slight release of the clutch is the hardest part. It's finding that sweet spot of the release and then giving it JUST enough gas to get going. I'm just happy that I'm not killing the poor thing.

Old 04-13-2010, 10:24 AM
You'll find that sweet spot and just know to get off the clutch completely, BUT in a slow fluid motion. If you can, it will help a bunch to learn to move with no gas at all but its not exactly the easiest thing to do. Then let the car get to normal idle rpms and put the clutch down and then shift to second gear to feel for that same sweet spot in the clutch and release. Then let the rpms settle again to about 800-900 and go to third. The bucking and stalling will be slightly more forgiving but if you don't use any gas at all then you will just start learning that sweet spot you've been looking for. BTW, what kind of 911 do you have?

Old 04-13-2010, 10:24 AM
Put it this way, the civic will cost you less after labor and everything. I also would consider upgrading the clutch if you plan on modding the car or playing with it like an animal if you have to replace it. What kind of 911 do you have?
I have a Carrera. I would eventually like to do some mods to get some top end performance out of it. Any inexpensive mods I can do to start cranking out more HP (after I can drive it on the road )?

Old 04-13-2010, 10:26 AM
You'll find that sweet spot and just know to get off the clutch completely, BUT in a slow fluid motion. If you can, it will help a bunch to learn to move with no gas at all but its not exactly the easiest thing to do. Then let the car get to normal idle rpms and put the clutch down and then shift to second gear to feel for that same sweet spot in the clutch and release. Then let the rpms settle again to about 800-900 and go to third. The bucking and stalling will be slightly more forgiving but if you don't use any gas at all then you will just start learning that sweet spot you've been looking for. BTW, what kind of 911 do you have?
Another question for you. When I'm at a complete stop, do I always have to go into neutral or can I get off on 1st gear? I see some that get off on 2nd gear. Thoughts? 911 Carrera.

Old 04-13-2010, 10:30 AM
Originally Posted by radgirl
I have a Carrera. I would eventually like to do some mods to get some top end performance out of it. Any inexpensive mods I can do to start cranking out more HP (after I can drive it on the road )?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/K-N-F...item1c118a6e8e
That is probably the cheapest mod and best bang for the buck before you start spending in increments of 1000. Once you are willing to spend 1000+ then you can get the plenum which I personally believe in, a chip from anybody really (all power gains seem about the same), then maybe exhaust for it. But all of those things are getting pricey. I am in your boat as well. I look for the least expensive mods with the best gains for the price. College is expensive

Old 04-13-2010, 10:33 AM
Another question for you. When I'm at a complete stop, do I always have to go into neutral or can I get off on 1st gear? I see some that get off on 2nd gear. Thoughts? 911 Carrera.
Yup, the car has to be in neutral when at a complete stop. However, the clutch being all the way to the floor but the shifter in 1st is the equivalent of being in neutral with the clutch up (untouched) or down (fully depressed).

I personally don't like starting the car in 2nd from a complete stop because I feel like it wears on things a bit more, such as the motor and clutch. Some people say otherwise but I only start my car in 2nd or 3rd if I HAVE to.

Old 04-13-2010, 10:35 AM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/K-N-F...item1c118a6e8e
That is probably the cheapest mod and best bang for the buck before you start spending in increments of 1000. Once you are willing to spend 1000+ then you can get the plenum which I personally believe in, a chip from anybody really (all power gains seem about the same), then maybe exhaust for it. But all of those things are getting pricey. I am in your boat as well. I look for the least expensive mods with the best gains for the price. College is expensive
How much extra HP did you get out of the cold air intake kit?

Do you think for $1K I can get a chip mod and a new exhaust kit?

Old 04-13-2010, 10:36 AM
Yup, the car has to be in neutral when at a complete stop. However, the clutch being all the way to the floor but the shifter in 1st is the equivalent of being in neutral with the clutch up (untouched) or down (fully depressed).

I personally don't like starting the car in 2nd from a complete stop because I feel like it wears on things a bit more, such as the motor and clutch. Some people say otherwise but I only start my car in 2nd or 3rd if I HAVE to.
Ok, see, I feel much more comfortable with clutch and brake to the floor and being in first, as opposed to being in neutral with clutch off the floor. If they are essentially the same, then should I do what I feel most comfortable with?

Old 04-13-2010, 11:15 AM
Airrik is infamous around these partsAirrik is infamous around these parts
Welcome to the Porsche Family radgirl, more specifically the 911 family Let's see some pics of that beauty. Congrats

Old 04-13-2010, 11:18 AM
Originally Posted by Airrik
Welcome to the Porsche Family radgirl, more specifically the 911 family Let's see some pics of that beauty. Congrats
Awww, you guys are the best. Any other ladies in here with a 911? If not, I'm used to hanging with the boys. This is an awesome forum and I have a million more questions. I'll get some pics up soon.

Old 04-13-2010, 11:21 AM
alpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond repute
Wow, I"m cringing just thinking about it.

Why not buy a $1k Honda to learn to drive a manual first instead of taking a chance of getting a new clutch job at $2k+. Just learn on a cheap car and sell it for a couple hundred dollars less to some High School kid that has time to replace a worn clutch.

BTW, welcome and before anyone says it, Pics or Ban.

Old 04-13-2010, 11:31 AM
Originally Posted by alpine003
Wow, I"m cringing just thinking about it.

Why not buy a $1k Honda to learn to drive a manual first instead of taking a chance of getting a new clutch job at $2k+. Just learn on a cheap car and sell it for a couple hundred dollars less to some High School kid that has time to replace a worn clutch.

BTW, welcome and before anyone says it, Pics or Ban.
Alpine, don't the others have a valid reason for not trying to learn a stick in a Honda? I like the idea, but will it transfer over. I'm not going to be driving the Honda, I will be driving the 911 (I need a name for this car). So that's kinda the rub. I'm not grinding gears and I'm not burning clutch. I just can't find that sweet spot. Grrrrr!

Ok, you can see her.

Attached Images  
Old 04-13-2010, 11:38 AM
alpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond repute
Alpine, don't the others have a valid reason for not trying to learn a stick in a Honda? I like the idea, but will it transfer over. I'm not going to be driving the Honda, I will be driving the 911 (I need a name for this car). So that's kinda the rub. I'm not grinding gears and I'm not burning clutch. I just can't find that sweet spot. Grrrrr!

Ok, you can see her.
Well everyone is different and have their preferences and strategies. Do whatever works for you. I can say however, that the older Honda clutch systems are more crude and less forgiving so if you've learned on one of those, you could safely drive many of the other manuals out there.

She's a beauty. Main thing is to hang in there and be persistent and not give up.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Noobie to the Porsche family