996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Noobie to the Porsche family

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-14-2010, 09:53 AM
asialors996 has a spectacular aura aboutasialors996 has a spectacular aura aboutasialors996 has a spectacular aura about
the clutch spring is an easy DIY repair, there is an AC duct that runs under the dash by the pedal, it slides off from the outside of the car in. then at the top of the clutch petal you can see the spring in a plastic hat. i will take some pictures.

it took her a few weeks to get "ok" at it...now she is a lunitic....

Old 04-14-2010, 10:41 AM
alpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by radgirl
Asia, please explain this clutch spring. Where under the dash do I look and should I be doing this or the dealer? I'm telling you, that clutch takes all my might to push to the floor. How long did it take your wife to learn? I really think the clutch is my issue. If I can find the engage point of the clutch, then I can get moving.
Something doesn't sound right here. Have you driven other Porsches to compare it to? Maybe you should take it to the dealer to make sure the clutch isn't worn. The clutch can get really heavy to engage as it wears out. Another possibility is that you might have an aftermarket clutch installed with stiffer pressure plate.

My pedal pressure is pretty light on my 2k miles old clutch, just a tad stiffer than BMW's.

Old 04-14-2010, 12:23 PM
radgirl is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by alpine003
Something doesn't sound right here. Have you driven other Porsches to compare it to? Maybe you should take it to the dealer to make sure the clutch isn't worn. The clutch can get really heavy to engage as it wears out. Another possibility is that you might have an aftermarket clutch installed with stiffer pressure plate.

My pedal pressure is pretty light on my 2k miles old clutch, just a tad stiffer than BMW's.
Yes, I drove the Cayman and that clutch was even more difficult to depress. So, if I could loosen up that clutch a little bit, it might help.

Old 04-14-2010, 12:25 PM
asialors996 has a spectacular aura aboutasialors996 has a spectacular aura aboutasialors996 has a spectacular aura about
The clutch pressure plate does get much harder to push when the clutch wears but there is an additional spring that assists the driver in depressing the clutch when driving.

check out the part...it just helps the petal travel

http://www.pcars.com/porsche_parts/s.../p_137937.html

go to the dealer and ask them to sit in the new 997, you petal should be around the same to use when the new car is off

Old 04-14-2010, 03:46 PM
johnd87 is infamous around these parts
When i bought my porsche two years ago i had just learned how to drive stick off a mazda 3. The biggest difference was that the clutch on the porsche was so much heavier but after some practice it came natural. if i were you i would practice stop and go on a cheaper car. I am sure after that you will have no problem with the porsche.

Old 04-14-2010, 03:53 PM
Good news everyone! I drove to my massage appointment and back. I stalled out and bucked only once! Woo hoo for me!! I'll keep up the practice.

And yes, the clutch of the Porsche is much heavier. One little trick I thought of, so I can start feeling the sweet spot, was to go bare foot on the clutch. We'll see how that keeps working out.

Old 04-14-2010, 04:58 PM
thats awesome....

practice makes perfect!!!!

can you hear your motor when you are starting from a complete stop...i guess my question should state are you watching the tach or listening and feeling??

Old 04-14-2010, 05:09 PM
I listened and felt for the sweet spot. I tried paying attention to the car moving and then gave it enough gas. That's one thing I need to get over is the fear of giving the thing gas. I looked at my tach when I went to change gears from 1st to 2nd and so on. So, hopefully I'm on my way. More practice soon.

Old 04-14-2010, 08:43 PM
alpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond repute
That's one thing I need to get over is the fear of giving the thing gas.
I noticed that this might be a more gender related somewhat, as most girls I've seen are afraid to give it gas and more guys give more gas as needed so they don't stall out the car and look like a ****** bag and hurt their ego.

In the mean time:

Old 04-15-2010, 08:20 AM
I noticed that this might be a more gender related somewhat, as most girls I've seen are afraid to give it gas and more guys give more gas as needed so they don't stall out the car and look like a ****** bag and hurt their ego.

In the mean time:
Well, I'm all for the heavy lifting in the gym. But I actually had to tell myself to give the car gas. So stupid. Duh, I feel the sweet spot of the clutch, GO!!!!!

Old 04-15-2010, 03:25 PM
Ok, back out went today. Did a couple of errands and did pretty good. 2 stall outs, but that 2nd stall out was on a hill. So I started up again, felt the car roll back and gave it gas and off I went. Probably a little to fast, but I did it. More to come later!

Old 04-15-2010, 04:23 PM
Ok, back out went today. Did a couple of errands and did pretty good. 2 stall outs, but that 2nd stall out was on a hill. So I started up again, felt the car roll back and gave it gas and off I went. Probably a little to fast, but I did it. More to come later!
Good for you. I didn't notice til now that you live in Colorado. Another advice would be to practice uphill starting too. Really important in bumper to bumper situations so you don't have to worry about running into someone behind you. When you get good enough, you'll be able to rock the car back and forth easily on an uphill in a very controlled fashion.

BTW, the older and the newest Subaru's had a "hill holder" feature that did just that and prevented you from rolling backward on inclines on manual cars. Just a tidbit of info...

Old 04-15-2010, 04:59 PM
Good for you. I didn't notice til now that you live in Colorado. Another advice would be to practice uphill starting too. Really important in bumper to bumper situations so you don't have to worry about running into someone behind you. When you get good enough, you'll be able to rock the car back and forth easily on an uphill in a very controlled fashion.

BTW, the older and the newest Subaru's had a "hill holder" feature that did just that and prevented you from rolling backward on inclines on manual cars. Just a tidbit of info...
Well, I was on a hill and stalled the car out. Then I started back up, let the car slowly roll back, felt the sweet spot, and took off. Of course, all my practicing is happening with limited traffic on the roads. Hills and starting off from a stop light or stop sign are my most difficult areas.

Old 04-15-2010, 09:02 PM
GT3Gavin is infamous around these parts
Not the best thing for the wear and tear items on your car but if you are in heavy traffic and didn't mean to be, you can give the e-brake a few clicks up so the car shouldn't roll back but you can still drive forward with enough gas. I would only recommend doing this if you ABSOLUTELY HAVE to but at least if you need it you know its an option.

Old 04-16-2010, 03:05 PM
Go me everyone! I did about 26 miles round trip driving into the next down. Hills, stops, you name it, I did it! I'm oh so proud of myself. But let me tell you, this car requires so much of my attention, it's not even funny. I have to think ahead, plan ahead, watch for everyone else (including myself). Tons of concentration to drive a vehicle like this. I never knew it would be so difficult. But wow, what a TRIP!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Noobie to the Porsche family