996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Noobie to the Porsche family

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-16-2010, 10:30 PM
GT3Gavin is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by radgirl
Go me everyone! I did about 26 miles round trip driving into the next down. Hills, stops, you name it, I did it! I'm oh so proud of myself. But let me tell you, this car requires so much of my attention, it's not even funny. I have to think ahead, plan ahead, watch for everyone else (including myself). Tons of concentration to drive a vehicle like this. I never knew it would be so difficult. But wow, what a TRIP!
CONGRATS!!! I promise everything will get easier eventually . Do you still have to think about the sweet spot?

Old 04-16-2010, 11:07 PM
FlipMo is a splendid one to beholdFlipMo is a splendid one to beholdFlipMo is a splendid one to beholdFlipMo is a splendid one to beholdFlipMo is a splendid one to beholdFlipMo is a splendid one to beholdFlipMo is a splendid one to behold
Welcome to the 6Speed Family, and congrats on your car! Have you found a name yet for your baby?

Old 04-17-2010, 09:48 AM
radgirl is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by FlipMo
Welcome to the 6Speed Family, and congrats on your car! Have you found a name yet for your baby?
Thanks FlipMo, for the warm welcome. I like this forum a lot and I hope to learn all I can from everyone here.

The more I drive the car, the more I think it's a damn GO KART. So, I'm thinking the name GO KART might be it and I'll put it on my plates. We'll see. Still trying to get a good, solid feel for the car though.

Old 04-17-2010, 09:51 AM
Originally Posted by GT3Gavin
CONGRATS!!! I promise everything will get easier eventually . Do you still have to think about the sweet spot?
I'm thinking about the sweet spot a lot less. Now when I start driving in heavy(ier) traffic, then I may have to "relearn" a few things. I noticed a bit of difficultly shifting from 4th to 5th, but did get it down. I did my tooling around this morning. I even took the highway back home. There was a fair amount of people on the roads this morning, so if anything, that provided me with some additional work/training. I was psyched to hop in the car this morning and go for a drive. I rarely do that. It was a good morning.

BTW, thanks for the encouragement.

Old 04-17-2010, 11:49 AM
I'm thinking about the sweet spot a lot less. Now when I start driving in heavy(ier) traffic, then I may have to "relearn" a few things. I noticed a bit of difficultly shifting from 4th to 5th, but did get it down. I did my tooling around this morning. I even took the highway back home. There was a fair amount of people on the roads this morning, so if anything, that provided me with some additional work/training. I was psyched to hop in the car this morning and go for a drive. I rarely do that. It was a good morning.

Haha good for you. Porsche is a family and we gotta look out for our own. Except maybe Boxter owners lol. For one reason or another Porsche AG chose not to include them in the family tree commercial for the Panamera.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YssFS...eature=channel

Old 04-18-2010, 09:59 AM
Originally Posted by GT3Gavin
Haha good for you. Porsche is a family and we gotta look out for our own. Except maybe Boxter owners lol. For one reason or another Porsche AG chose not to include them in the family tree commercial for the Panamera.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YssFS...eature=channel
Awww, poor Boxter and their owners (such snobs we are), LOL! Now, if I can get my little hands on a Panamera, well that would be just too much fun!

Another good run this morning. Hell, I got the car into 6th. But I love how there is always someone riding your ***, until you blow them away. Some guy wanted to race, so off we went. He get going toe to toe with me, so I finally blew him away. Not bad for a rookie.

Old 04-18-2010, 11:17 PM
harut is infamous around these parts
Good girl, then you must know how to shift quick.

Old 04-19-2010, 12:11 AM
Duane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond repute

Sound like you're ready for a road trip to San Francisco. The hills really test out your skills.

Old 04-19-2010, 11:41 AM
Originally Posted by harut
Good girl, then you must know how to shift quick.
I'm getting there.

Old 04-19-2010, 11:43 AM
Originally Posted by Duane996tt
Sound like you're ready for a road trip to San Francisco. The hills really test out your skills.
I'm not so sure about that. Boy, hills are not my friend. LOL!

Old 04-19-2010, 11:49 AM
torch frc is infamous around these parts
Hi all,

I am new to this forum. I have a very odd ball question (and you may all think I'm nuts), but here it goes. I got my new 911 and I'm having a hell of a time learning a manual tranny. Should I continue to learn a stick shift on my Porsche or should I go to a driving school. I've got the basics, but I can't find that sweet spot of letting go of the clutch and giving it gas. I can shift, I can stop, etc...., but I can't manage to actually GO when I'm stopped. Sorry if this sounds completely ridiculous, but any helpful suggestions would be most appreciated.

TIA!

I remember when I first learned on my Vette...very frustrating at times

Just keep practicing for a few days and you'll get it.

Old 04-19-2010, 01:33 PM
How's the progress coming? Did you find any more races?

Old 04-20-2010, 12:30 AM
FlipMo is a splendid one to beholdFlipMo is a splendid one to beholdFlipMo is a splendid one to beholdFlipMo is a splendid one to beholdFlipMo is a splendid one to beholdFlipMo is a splendid one to beholdFlipMo is a splendid one to behold
Speaking of racing cars on the street/highway... is it me or does every kid in an Infinity G-series think they can take me in my Porsche? What is it with these kids and their Infinity's?

Old 04-20-2010, 09:20 AM
alpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by FlipMo
Speaking of racing cars on the street/highway... is it me or does every kid in an Infinity G-series think they can take me in my Porsche? What is it with these kids and their Infinity's?
It's the Ferrari'esque exhaust note = Sound Performance.

I have to admit it is entoxicating whenever I'm in my friend's car.

Old 04-20-2010, 10:38 PM
Small Shrimp is a name known to allSmall Shrimp is a name known to allSmall Shrimp is a name known to allSmall Shrimp is a name known to allSmall Shrimp is a name known to allSmall Shrimp is a name known to all
Welcome to the group.

You going to come to any Colorado events? I am sure we can help

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Noobie to the Porsche family