996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Noobie to the Porsche family

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-13-2010, 09:32 AM
radgirl is infamous around these parts
Unhappy Noobie to the Porsche family

Hi all,

I am new to this forum. I have a very odd ball question (and you may all think I'm nuts), but here it goes. I got my new 911 and I'm having a hell of a time learning a manual tranny. Should I continue to learn a stick shift on my Porsche or should I go to a driving school. I've got the basics, but I can't find that sweet spot of letting go of the clutch and giving it gas. I can shift, I can stop, etc...., but I can't manage to actually GO when I'm stopped. Sorry if this sounds completely ridiculous, but any helpful suggestions would be most appreciated.

TIA!

Old 04-13-2010, 09:43 AM
gt2rs6 has a spectacular aura aboutgt2rs6 has a spectacular aura about
as long as you arent grinding gears or burning the clutch keep it up... practice makes perfect you will be just fine im sure... try less gas and letting the clutch out very slowly to learn the point it grabs..i can take off in my car with no throttle at all.. good luck and have fun!

Mike

Old 04-13-2010, 09:44 AM
GT3Gavin is infamous around these parts
If your car smells funny, then just keep learning on that and starting putting money aside for a new clutch. Otherwise, you are probably alright to keep driving.

Old 04-13-2010, 09:46 AM
Originally Posted by gt2rs6
as long as you arent grinding gears or burning the clutch keep it up... practice makes perfect you will be just fine im sure... try less gas and letting the clutch out very slowly to learn the point it grabs..i can take off in my car with no throttle at all.. good luck and have fun!

Mike
Mike, are you sure? I'm not grinding gears and I don't smell clutch. I just have a hell of time getting off the line. Either I buck the car and fly like a bat outta hell or I stall it.

I've called several driving schools and no one teaches adult training for a stick shift and no car rental place rents out a manual tranny. I adore my car and I know it's not the most ideal place to learn a stick shift, but I don't have a choice at this point. I want to drive and enjoy my car. Like I said, I've got the basics, but I don't want to break a very expensive toy.

Old 04-13-2010, 09:47 AM
Oh and one more thing, the best advice I can give you is to try getting the car to move without any gas at all and clutch only. Go as slow as possible with the clutch and eventually you will be able to feel the car moving with only your left foot.

You could also go out and buy a civic for $500 to learn on then throw it away once its dead.

Old 04-13-2010, 09:48 AM
Originally Posted by GT3Gavin
If your car smells funny, then just keep learning on that and starting putting money aside for a new clutch. Otherwise, you are probably alright to keep driving.
No funny smells. I would hate to learn on some beer can of a car and still be stuck with my 911. BTW, how much would a new clutch cost and would you go OEM (just in case)?

Old 04-13-2010, 09:50 AM
Put it this way, the civic will cost you less after labor and everything. I also would consider upgrading the clutch if you plan on modding the car or playing with it like an animal if you have to replace it. What kind of 911 do you have?

Old 04-13-2010, 09:50 AM
Originally Posted by radgirl
Mike, are you sure? I'm not grinding gears and I don't smell clutch. I just have a hell of time getting off the line. Either I buck the car and fly like a bat outta hell or I stall it.

I've called several driving schools and no one teaches adult training for a stick shift and no car rental place rents out a manual tranny. I adore my car and I know it's not the most ideal place to learn a stick shift, but I don't have a choice at this point. I want to drive and enjoy my car. Like I said, I've got the basics, but I don't want to break a very expensive toy.
im sure you will be fine ... no cat **** smell no grinding NOOOO problem lol.. only practice will help you..and every car is different so learning in a civic will not make you a pro in your car.. just stick to your car and you will get it for sure..

Old 04-13-2010, 09:51 AM
Oh and one more thing, the best advice I can give you is to try getting the car to move without any gas at all and clutch only. Go as slow as possible with the clutch and eventually you will be able to feel the car moving with only your left foot.

You could also go out and buy a civic for $500 to learn on then throw it away once its dead.
Wow, just buy a junk car? Hmmm, I could do that. But yes, I've been practicing with just the clutch to get the feel of the car moving (on a hill, flat, etc.....). That clutch feels so tight that I have to give it all my might to engage the darn thing. Then I start to release and slowly give gas and again, either I'm bucking and flying like a bat outta hell or I stall out. I know this sounds sad, but I don't want to hurt/break the car. How much of a beating can that poor clutch take?

Old 04-13-2010, 09:53 AM
it can take a good beating and if it dosent smell you are not hurting it at all dont worry go drive stop typing lol

Old 04-13-2010, 09:53 AM
When in doubt, "clutch to the floor." That saying should fix a bunch of the bucking and stalling if you remember it.

Old 04-13-2010, 09:55 AM
Originally Posted by gt2rs6
it can take a good beating and if it dosent smell you are not hurting it at all dont worry go drive stop typing lol
There is no way I'm giving up on my dream car. I've got it and I want to drive it. Ok, so it can take a pretty good beating and as long as I'm not smelling clutch or who knows what else, I should be ok? The bucking and stalling are ok too? What should burning clutch smell like?

Thanks you guys. I appreciate the help.

Old 04-13-2010, 09:56 AM
When in doubt, "clutch to the floor." That saying should fix a bunch of the bucking and stalling if you remember it.
I am having trouble remember that. So, when I start to buck or start to feel the car stall out, clutch all the way in?

Old 04-13-2010, 09:58 AM
Hey gt2rs6, do you know greg@ssp? One of his friends has an rs6 and a gt2 in nassau. What events/meets do you go to around the tristate?

Old 04-13-2010, 09:59 AM
yeah hes saying clutch all the way in ..when you are scared of bucking or stalling the car cant buck or stall with the clutch all the way in...but just try some slow take offs no throttle releasing the clutch verrrrrrry slowly and you will learn where it starts to grab and when to apply throttle..

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Noobie to the Porsche family