996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

PPI From 2000 miles away??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-19-2010, 11:00 AM
laxaholic33 is infamous around these parts
PPI From 2000 miles away??

Hi guys,

Brand new to these forums...I've been doing heavy research on cars for the past 8 weeks (including lots of fun test drives) and have decided to purchase a 996 over a 3 series and an A4. I have a buying budget of around $25,000...so that limits the amount of viable 996's that i can purchase. I've been pressed hard by a few dealers to buy, but im holding out for that perfect 911. (Been driving my 01 hyundai elantra since i was 16). Now to the point.

The 996 that i WOULD LOVE to buy is 2000 miles away. The dealer has all of the service records, and the carfax checks out. (RMS was fixed at 30000) How should I go about getting a PPI? I dont want to fly out there and then have the mechanic tell me its gonna be a hassle to upkeep. I live in PA, and theres really no other 996s within 250 miles that have caught my attention.

I have a ton more questions regarding the whole buying process, but thanks for your help on this! My roommate just bought a 06 3 series...and i cant wait for him to get a good view of my taillights.

Last edited by laxaholic33; 04-19-2010 at 11:12 AM.
Old 04-19-2010, 11:07 AM
911xpress has a reputation beyond repute911xpress has a reputation beyond repute911xpress has a reputation beyond repute911xpress has a reputation beyond repute911xpress has a reputation beyond repute911xpress has a reputation beyond repute911xpress has a reputation beyond repute911xpress has a reputation beyond repute911xpress has a reputation beyond repute911xpress has a reputation beyond repute911xpress has a reputation beyond repute
You can certainly have the PPI done without flying out there. The dealer can send you a complete list of what they check on 'their' PPI as they are not all identical even at P dealers. It's a great plus that the dealer has all the service records, make sure you look at them before you commit. I would also recommend a private party inspection.

Read the forums to get more details. I bought my 2002 996TT from a Porsche dealer 3000 miles away, sight unseen and I love the car.

Good Luck.

Old 04-19-2010, 01:26 PM
GT3Gavin is infamous around these parts
Where is the car? I would suggest having a PPI done by a performance shop that is familiar with Porsches instead of a dealer. They will generally have a finer eye than regular techs at a dealer. If the car is in souther Cali I would suggest Black Forest. They did a PPI on my first 996 and took pictures of every blemish. They found a ding on the body that I couldn't seem to find when I finally got the car. Total cost was $300 give or take and it included a compression test on the block and everything. Besides, they don't call it the stealership for nothing.

Old 04-19-2010, 02:10 PM
Originally Posted by GT3Gavin
Where is the car? I would suggest having a PPI done by a performance shop that is familiar with Porsches instead of a dealer. They will generally have a finer eye than regular techs at a dealer. If the car is in souther Cali I would suggest Black Forest. They did a PPI on my first 996 and took pictures of every blemish. They found a ding on the body that I couldn't seem to find when I finally got the car. Total cost was $300 give or take and it included a compression test on the block and everything. Besides, they don't call it the stealership for nothing.
The car is in burbank...I was without a doubt planning on going to a private shop to get the PPI done. I definitely feel that if the car isnt sound, the $300 spent wont be wasted. I'm just wondering if shops like Black Forest will do a PPI on their own...with me wiring them the money beforehand or something.

GT3-is the black forest you're talking about in the SD/ La Jolla area? If so, thats probably a bit too far of a drive. Anyone have suggestions for who to go to in the greater LA region?

Old 04-19-2010, 02:26 PM
Yup, www.blackforestautomotive.com is the one I am talking about. Even if it costs a bit more, I would go to GMG. They are in the LA area and are an amazing shop. "Do it right the first time."

Old 04-19-2010, 06:20 PM
fourempties has a reputation beyond reputefourempties has a reputation beyond reputefourempties has a reputation beyond reputefourempties has a reputation beyond reputefourempties has a reputation beyond reputefourempties has a reputation beyond reputefourempties has a reputation beyond reputefourempties has a reputation beyond reputefourempties has a reputation beyond reputefourempties has a reputation beyond reputefourempties has a reputation beyond repute
Be patient. I live right outside of Philly and I got my 2001 2 months ago for $5000 less than asking at a Honda dealer in New Jersey. PM me if you want details. These cars are out there and you will be able to get one for your price.

Old 04-20-2010, 07:54 AM
KAZ911 is infamous around these parts
Definitely have the PPI done by a different dealership or shop than the one you're purchasing from to make sure it's unbiased

Old 04-20-2010, 09:57 AM
fourempties has a reputation beyond reputefourempties has a reputation beyond reputefourempties has a reputation beyond reputefourempties has a reputation beyond reputefourempties has a reputation beyond reputefourempties has a reputation beyond reputefourempties has a reputation beyond reputefourempties has a reputation beyond reputefourempties has a reputation beyond reputefourempties has a reputation beyond reputefourempties has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by laxaholic33
Hi guys,

Brand new to these forums...I've been doing heavy research on cars for the past 8 weeks (including lots of fun test drives) and have decided to purchase a 996 over a 3 series and an A4. I have a buying budget of around $25,000...so that limits the amount of viable 996's that i can purchase. I've been pressed hard by a few dealers to buy, but im holding out for that perfect 911. (Been driving my 01 hyundai elantra since i was 16). Now to the point.

The 996 that i WOULD LOVE to buy is 2000 miles away. The dealer has all of the service records, and the carfax checks out. (RMS was fixed at 30000) How should I go about getting a PPI? I dont want to fly out there and then have the mechanic tell me its gonna be a hassle to upkeep. I live in PA, and theres really no other 996s within 250 miles that have caught my attention.

I have a ton more questions regarding the whole buying process, but thanks for your help on this! My roommate just bought a 06 3 series...and i cant wait for him to get a good view of my taillights.
You might be looking at his tail lights if he got a 335i...

Old 04-20-2010, 10:36 AM
Originally Posted by fourempties
Be patient. I live right outside of Philly and I got my 2001 2 months ago for $5000 less than asking at a Honda dealer in New Jersey. PM me if you want details. These cars are out there and you will be able to get one for your price.
Apparantly I cant PM unless i have 15 posts...but i would definitely like to hear about the details. I guess PM me? or i just created rich.richards33@gmail.com if you want to email me some info.

Old 04-20-2010, 11:46 AM
himself is a jewel in the roughhimself is a jewel in the roughhimself is a jewel in the rough
I live in Texas and bought my car from Oregon. I also sold my old car to someone in Canada. PPIs from long distance are easy to do. Also ask the shop to take some pics of the car, and any potential problem areas.

-td
You might be looking at his tail lights if he got a 335i...
Nah, unless you missed a shift or something in the 996. These two cars are pretty equal on the street (despite many years difference and forced induction for the Bimmer). In fact, my 996 was a bit faster than my 335. But, on the track, the 335 was just an uninspiring piggy-mobile that would be gobbled up by a 996.

-td

Old 04-20-2010, 03:25 PM
Dharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud of
The important thing is to have the PPI done by a dealer or private party other than the dealer you are buying it from. Too much conflict of interest for the selling dealer to do the PPI.

What year is the car? The only exception I would make to this statement is if the selling dealer is a Porsche dealer and can and will CPO the car.

Old 04-20-2010, 04:22 PM
Originally Posted by Dharn55
The important thing is to have the PPI done by a dealer or private party other than the dealer you are buying it from. Too much conflict of interest for the selling dealer to do the PPI.

What year is the car? The only exception I would make to this statement is if the selling dealer is a Porsche dealer and can and will CPO the car.
Car is a 99 standard coupe, but it has the aero kit and is white, both of which are high on my list of +s. Theres only like 6 white coupes (any type 99-01) under 30k across the country (according to cars.com and auto trader) No matter what i buy, i will definitely get the PPI done by a private party. I just wasnt sure if i could call a shop across the country and ask them to check out the car on their own...provided I pay in advance.

I guess another question that I have that i havent been able to readily find...If the pcar is a cab, how much would it usually cost to add a matching hard top..and what do you guys think of how well they fit?

Ive seen pictures of hard tops on cabs, and it doesnt seem to mesh right on the back seats...But ive never seen one in person.

Old 04-20-2010, 06:35 PM
Patience will be your friend. You'll find one on the East Coast.

Old 04-20-2010, 08:56 PM
I wouldn't limit yourself to the east coast man. I'm buying my second car from cali and I live in NJ. If you are saving enough money and the car is what you are looking for www.dasautoshippers.com will do the shipping for a good price. I am getting mine shipping for about $1000 enclosed carrier terminal to terminal. Otherwise its like another $150 to get it picked up and dropped off at your house but I think they will charge extra to drop it off with a big bow on it.

Old 04-21-2010, 09:27 PM
Patience will be your friend. You'll find one on the East Coast.
haha, I unfortunately realize patience is necessary when buying a car. Its hard! I've been putting money away for 8 years to purchase this car. Thought about buying a nice ride when i started college...but decided to save another 4 years.

My only problem is that I move down to south carolina to start my career in the beginning of June...and I dont really want to be chasing around cuties in a ten year old Green hyundai that has a broken gas gague, 2 windows that dont go down, and a broken door. (Dont know how it passed inspection last September)

UPDATE: Just got a call that the one in california was sold. Back to the drawing board.

Hey fourempties- I still cant pm you back. If you want, you can PM me your email address so i can respond. Ive started looking at $30000 cars within 250 miles of philly...ive found some ones around 27-28 that have caught my attention..so you're right, there still is hope!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: PPI From 2000 miles away??