996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Check This Out!!! I'm buying a turbo Kit for my 996!!! I need Opinions Please

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-20-2010, 11:47 PM
philooo is infamous around these parts
the problem with TPC kits is that they cost $10k... for that price, you might be better off, selling your 996 and buy a 966 turbo !

ok it will cost you another 10k but you will get all the hardware to keep the car on the road with the exta power... and you also get another turbo

What do you people think a single kit should cost for the 996 ? I think $6k would be my maximum for a really perfect bolt on.

Old 04-21-2010, 05:41 AM
DeskJob1 is infamous around these parts
I don't disagree that its takes a lot of R&D to develop turbo kits or SC kits for 996 by these experts, TPC, IMA, EVO, etc., but I tend to agree that it may be cheaper to sell a 996 and get a 996 turbo for an additional 10-20K.
With that being said I would love to see anyone offering a kit at more affordable price of ~6K. Otherwise, most of 996ers may be better off enjoying what they have for now and bump up to a turbo later. Just my 2cents.

Old 04-21-2010, 06:41 AM
api3517 is infamous around these parts
I agree 100% with the above posts. Just because its a Porsche, the kits cost 10k plus installation!! If you look at what the system is its not that complicated. Of course I won't do the installation because of my skills!! Once developed and proven, the system should be affordable to us 996 "poor" guys. Mine is strictly a track car for DE events and I was looking for a little more power down the straights, at least thats my excuse. Lets see what the price will be! Thats my 2 cents which I need to put back in the bank!
Al

Old 04-21-2010, 11:20 AM
markar is a name known to allmarkar is a name known to allmarkar is a name known to allmarkar is a name known to allmarkar is a name known to allmarkar is a name known to all
Big Mistake Call TPC Before you do this Turbo don't cost $20,000

Old 04-21-2010, 11:23 AM
contigo has a brilliant futurecontigo has a brilliant futurecontigo has a brilliant futurecontigo has a brilliant futurecontigo has a brilliant futurecontigo has a brilliant futurecontigo has a brilliant futurecontigo has a brilliant futurecontigo has a brilliant futurecontigo has a brilliant futurecontigo has a brilliant future
Is this a joke?? or did you tell them you had and EVO?

Old 04-21-2010, 11:38 AM
Brando has much to be proud ofBrando has much to be proud ofBrando has much to be proud ofBrando has much to be proud ofBrando has much to be proud ofBrando has much to be proud ofBrando has much to be proud ofBrando has much to be proud of
Thumbs up

Don't listen to all the negative responses......

I say go for it. Buy it and try it. Be a pioneer.

Piece of cake.

It must be really quality pieces for that price......

All you need is the exhaust manufolds.... a way to mount it.....a way to manage it with the ecu.....some tuning.....yada yada yada.

Old 04-21-2010, 11:41 AM
RF5BPilot is just really niceRF5BPilot is just really niceRF5BPilot is just really niceRF5BPilot is just really niceRF5BPilot is just really nice
Doing it on the cheap can be fun and engaging. This is more likely to have a good outcome if your engine is simple (like something with a carb, no smog for off road). The more complicated the engine, the more your mods interact with systems that weren't designed to play well with others. It will be harder to get it to run well -- assuming you don't burn valves and pistons along the way.

Trying to do it in ways that you can return it to stock easily may be worth the trouble.

If you can do all the fabrication, installation, reprogramming, etc., yourself and the car is just a hobby car (you don't depend on it for transportation), the more your choice makes sense. It could be fun and you could learn a lot along the way.

On the other hand, the more that your funds are limited, you need a mechanic to do the work for you or that you depend on your car for transportation -- the more likely you will be displeased with the outcome.

Yet -- it is adventures like this that produce wisdom later (or someone who just screams that Porsches are a POS!! Mine was Terrible!!).

Ever watch Frankenstein?

Old 04-21-2010, 11:45 AM
contigo has a brilliant futurecontigo has a brilliant futurecontigo has a brilliant futurecontigo has a brilliant futurecontigo has a brilliant futurecontigo has a brilliant futurecontigo has a brilliant futurecontigo has a brilliant futurecontigo has a brilliant futurecontigo has a brilliant futurecontigo has a brilliant future
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Brando

Piece of cake.

All you need is the exhaust manufolds.... a way to mount it.....a way to manage it with the ecu.....some tuning.....yada yada yada.
Agree Be a pioneer!!!!

Old 04-21-2010, 12:07 PM
DeskJob1 is infamous around these parts
Yes, TPC, its a great deal for newer non-turbo P-cars at 10K+instal$, but typically will not make economical sense for older 996 P-cars.

And yes, trying to fit or make do for std kit may be too much trouble, BUT, I would like to see someone do this and share the outcome to the forum...as well as the regular feedbacks. Something could be learned and perhaps even an outline for the rest of us to repeat at less cost and time... Even then, someone like me would opt for expert like TPC...

We should warn and be supportive at the same time. After all, thats what this forum is about right???

Old 04-21-2010, 12:34 PM
alpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Brando

Piece of cake.

I sense some sarcasm here...

Seriously guys, the level of refinement needed for p-car owners is very high, considering no one wants to be replacing a $10k motor here and there.

I don't think $10k for a 996 kit is high at all considering most of this is going into R&D of tuning. As someone has mentioned as well, you have to deal with additional material costs as well(another turbo, ic, less than conventional plumbing, etc).

I've fabricated and tuned a few custom turbo kits in my lifetime and this is not like a Honda where you can get a replacement motor for under $1k.

Outside of blowing up the motor, the typical p-car owner will have very high expectations so one will definitely need to fine tune not just the WOT maps but all the part throttle maps for various conditions(load, temp, humidity, gearing, etc) and have it be totally streetable, including a very refined idle.

I can go on but just know from someone that has done turbo kits before, it is definitely not easy to do it right.

Last edited by alpine003; 04-21-2010 at 12:36 PM.
Old 04-21-2010, 01:59 PM
VIP C4 is infamous around these parts
Don't forget the spoiler for the extra down force required. These usually go well with the blow off valve too.

Old 04-21-2010, 03:01 PM
alpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond repute
LOL, don't forget the Interfooler and Blow Off Valve yo!

Last edited by GT3 Chuck; 04-21-2010 at 04:24 PM.
Old 04-21-2010, 03:27 PM
Talking

Originally Posted by alpine003

Looking good!!!!!

Last edited by GT3 Chuck; 04-21-2010 at 04:25 PM.
Old 04-21-2010, 04:22 PM
KAZ911 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by alpine003

Alright, even though this is funny as sh*t, we need to stick to just delivering facts on what he was originally asking and then support him regardless of what he chooses. I've been a part of many different forums (for my Z, G, M3, and S2000) and I won't call out any sites but some forums consist of some really unintelligent members making dumbass comments and it reflects poorly on the entire forum. I'm new to 6 Speed and so far it seems like there's a more mature and classier crowd here, let's keep it that way

Last edited by GT3 Chuck; 04-21-2010 at 04:25 PM.
Old 04-21-2010, 08:01 PM
harut is infamous around these parts
Here are some things to consider off the top of my head:

Is your tranny or clutch capable of the power?
Fuel system (pumps, lines, injectors)
ECU or standalone like AEM needed?
Engine pressure - pistons, seals and gaskets

Pleanty more which I am sure its missing here.

It cost me close to $20K to remove my twin turbos off the Supra and install a single turbo with all modifications and goodies to handle the power. I don't believe in complete turbo kits, you always have to purchase other parts to complete it.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Check This Out!!! I'm buying a turbo Kit for my 996!!! I need Opinions Please