996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

K&N Cold Air Intake Kit

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-22-2010, 04:42 PM
Airrik is infamous around these partsAirrik is infamous around these parts
Gemballa and TechArt intakes are good too they are high quality and I believe both of them are dry filters.

Old 04-22-2010, 04:45 PM
radgirl is infamous around these parts
Instead of me running out and buying yet another filter (a dry AEM), can I take the K&N and wash it with the recharge kit and not oil it at all or do just a light mist?

Old 04-22-2010, 04:52 PM
GT3Gavin is infamous around these parts
Yup, just do a dry mist on it and you should be fine. At the very worst a new MAF won't break the bank. The sound and performance gains are worth it.

Old 04-22-2010, 04:53 PM
Originally Posted by GT3Gavin
Yup, just do a dry mist on it and you should be fine. At the very worst a new MAF won't break the bank. The sound and performance gains are worth it.
You're my hero as well Gavin. Thanks. I'll wash it well, let it air dry, and mist VERY LIGHTLY.

Thanks everyone. You guys are the best.

Old 04-22-2010, 04:57 PM
Airrik is infamous around these partsAirrik is infamous around these parts
Maybe I done it before on a different car when I bought the K&N Kit. The oil is pain to completely remove because of the gauze material from the filter. Your best bet is stay with a dry filter it doesn't matter the brand along as its a Dry pleated filter with good protection, otherwise if the oil gets in the MAF sensor your looking at $300 to $500 dollars easy just replace the MAF and you'll have check engine light problems.

Old 04-22-2010, 05:00 PM
Originally Posted by Airrik
Maybe I done it before on a different car when I bought the K&N Kit. The oil is pain to completely remove because of the gauze material from the filter. Your best bet is stay with a dry filter it doesn't matter the brand along as its a Dry pleated filter with good protection, otherwise if the oil gets in the MAF sensor your looking at $300 to $500 dollars easy just replace the MAF and you'll have check engine light problems.
Ok, time to take a vote. Wash and keep the K&N or get a dry air filter? I also don't want to have to keep replacing air filters every 3 months because they get dirty.

Old 04-22-2010, 05:01 PM
Wicked 996 is infamous around these partsWicked 996 is infamous around these parts
I agree - if you are super concerned - spend the extra $40-50 on a dry filter. personally i wouldn't but since there is conflicting ideas on how good a K&N (which is a huge company and puts filters on every car with a MAF and still in business) works with a MAF.

Old 04-22-2010, 05:03 PM
Originally Posted by Wicked 996
I agree - if you are super concerned - spend the extra $40-50 on a dry filter. personally i wouldn't but since there is conflicting ideas on how good a K&N (which is a huge company and puts filters on every car with a MAF and still in business) works with a MAF.
Then the decision has been made. I'm sticking with K&N (for the very reasons you stated).

From K&N's site:

27. Will a K&N filter cause my vehicle's mass air sensor to fail?

No, it is both impossible and ridiculous.

It is impossible because we know that the oil treatment on our cotton is very small (usually less than 2 ounces). Once the oil is properly and evenly absorbed through the cotton, no oil will come off, even under extreme engine conditions. It is ridiculous, because no dealership or service provider has ever been able to provide us with evidence to support this "myth," and in fact, our investigations have revealed that even authorized dealerships are simply speculating and do not have the test equipment necessary to know whether the sensor has failed or why. It is even more ridiculous because some car manufacturers use and sell air filters treated with oil on a regular basis. There are also major brands of disposable air filters that are treated with oil. We all use oil for the same reason, it helps in the filtration efficiency of an air filter. For more information on this topic including videos, see our Mass Air Flow Sensor Statement page. Out of the millions of air filters we sell, we only receive a handful of consumer complaints each month that a dealership or service provider has blamed a vehicle sensor repair on our product. We take each complaint very seriously and see it as an opportunity to stop a consumer from being taken advantage of. We investigate the situation thoroughly and take full responsibility for resolving the issue. For more information on how we educate and persuade the service provider to reconsider their position, see Mass Air Flow Sensor Information & Testing. We are so confident in our ability to resolve these situations and to help a consumer fight back that we offer our Consumer Protection Pledge.

As a result of our standing up for consumer rights and providing assistance to resolve a disagreement, we have had over 100 actual sensors sent to us by dealerships who claimed our product had caused them to fail. Microscopic, electronic and chemical testing revealed that none of the sensors were contaminated by K&N oil (K&N Detailed MAF Sensor Test Results). What is perhaps the single biggest clue to what is going on is that over 50% of these sensors were not broken in the first place for any reason. Click here for more information on how this may happen.

28. Can a K&N product cause my Check Engine Light or Service Light to come on?

A properly installed K&N product should not cause the Service Light to illuminate. For more information see our Engine Service Lights and K&N Products page.

Last edited by radgirl; 04-22-2010 at 05:07 PM.
Old 04-22-2010, 05:30 PM
batman46 is infamous around these parts
Evolution versus K&N Intakes

Originally Posted by radgirl
That's what the independent mechanic stated. However, he said as long as you are careful with the oil (LIGHT mist), then everything should be fine. He highly recommended it.

So, does anyone here recommend it or should I stay far away?
I personally like the Evo intake unit better because there is no sheet metal installed and metal just gets funky later with moisture areas. Also, the EVO now comes with an oiless filter replacement. So you have a win, win here!
Regarding effects, the sound is definitely better when you wind the car out from a stop. I also noticed better hillclimbing power in third gear so it seems to breathe better under load and sustain its rpm. However, the real results from aftermarket boltons is going to come from upgrading your ECU at some point to take advantage of the air-fuel-exhaust changes that happen from the bolt-ons! Good luck!

Old 04-22-2010, 05:40 PM
GT3Gavin is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by batman46
I personally like the Evo intake unit better because there is no sheet metal installed and metal just gets funky later with moisture areas. Also, the EVO now comes with an oiless filter replacement. So you have a win, win here!
Regarding effects, the sound is definitely better when you wind the car out from a stop. I also noticed better hillclimbing power in third gear so it seems to breathe better under load and sustain its rpm. However, the real results from aftermarket boltons is going to come from upgrading your ECU at some point to take advantage of the air-fuel-exhaust changes that happen from the bolt-ons! Good luck!
Not meaning to start anything here with EvoMS or their fans but I have heard that there intake loses power and doesn't do much but add a nice sound.

Old 04-22-2010, 05:48 PM
BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by buzzm
if your willing to deal with the possibility of problems go for it, if you dont want to ever have any headaches dont bother
I agree. We put the same K&N CAI on our 996 and had the exact issues that the above posts mentioned. Would we have another installed again? Nope.

Old 04-22-2010, 06:03 PM
Originally Posted by BoxsterGirlie01
I agree. We put the same K&N CAI on our 996 and had the exact issues that the above posts mentioned. Would we have another installed again? Nope.
Thanks for the input. I'll let everyone know how the K&N installation goes.

Old 04-22-2010, 06:05 PM
BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by radgirl
Thanks for the input. I'll let everyone know how the K&N installation goes.
BTW...Welcome to the 6! and Congrats on becoming part of the Pcar family! It's awesome having another girlile on board! Keep us posted on the mods and have fun! It's addicting!

Old 04-22-2010, 06:40 PM
Originally Posted by BoxsterGirlie01
BTW...Welcome to the 6! and Congrats on becoming part of the Pcar family! It's awesome having another girlile on board! Keep us posted on the mods and have fun! It's addicting!
Thanks and it's nice having another girlie here. We have to keep the boys in check.

Old 04-22-2010, 07:24 PM
Small Shrimp is a name known to allSmall Shrimp is a name known to allSmall Shrimp is a name known to allSmall Shrimp is a name known to allSmall Shrimp is a name known to allSmall Shrimp is a name known to all
Rad

Tim here. Fellow CO member. i have always found on my PCars and BMW's that an intake and more open exhaust helps us here at altitude. I have NEVER blown a MAF on any car due tot he filter. Like you said. Light mist on the filter and you are golden.

We need to meet up cuz I can give you plenty of info and I am starting to mod my PCar now to

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: K&N Cold Air Intake Kit