996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

K&N Cold Air Intake Kit

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-22-2010, 07:31 PM
Steve01tt is just really niceSteve01tt is just really niceSteve01tt is just really niceSteve01tt is just really niceSteve01tt is just really nice
Not surprised to hear K&N's reply (they are in the business of making money) but they are dead wrong. I too have replaced MAF's shortly after installing their product. I would still purchase one but would blow compressed air through it and try to remove as much excess oil as possible. On units that I've cleaned, lightly oiled, and blow clear I have not had repeat problems. They may not work as well at their primary mission to keep particles out of the combustion chamber but I have not heard of others suffering as a result of that.

The gains that you will see from just a higher flowing air filter are barely measureable but as a part of a complete system of intake and exhaust will make a difference.

Old 04-22-2010, 07:39 PM
radgirl is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Small Shrimp
Rad

Tim here. Fellow CO member. i have always found on my PCars and BMW's that an intake and more open exhaust helps us here at altitude. I have NEVER blown a MAF on any car due tot he filter. Like you said. Light mist on the filter and you are golden.

We need to meet up cuz I can give you plenty of info and I am starting to mod my PCar now to
Thanks for the help Tim. And yes, we should meet up. We should get a bunch of us locals together.

Old 04-22-2010, 07:40 PM
Originally Posted by Steve01tt
Not surprised to hear K&N's reply (they are in the business of making money) but they are dead wrong. I too have replaced MAF's shortly after installing their product. I would still purchase one but would blow compressed air through it and try to remove as much excess oil as possible. On units that I've cleaned, lightly oiled, and blow clear I have not had repeat problems. They may not work as well at their primary mission to keep particles out of the combustion chamber but I have not heard of others suffering as a result of that.

The gains that you will see from just a higher flowing air filter are barely measureable but as a part of a complete system of intake and exhaust will make a difference.
I guess anything is possible. But when I read stuff like this, it makes me think what I'm doing is wrong.

Old 04-25-2010, 09:20 AM
TAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond repute
I installed one on my 99' Carrera 4 a while ago. I had it on for about a year and a half w/no issues. The main thing is having to install it correctly and secure the clamps. The filter does come with quite a bit of oil and it would be best if you just remove some of it to be safe.

I never ran into any issues but heard that a lot of people did. I would do it all over again as the sound on WOT is simply, sick!

I miss her a little bit...

Old 04-25-2010, 09:53 AM
Originally Posted by TAILWAG
I installed one on my 99' Carrera 4 a while ago. I had it on for about a year and a half w/no issues. The main thing is having to install it correctly and secure the clamps. The filter does come with quite a bit of oil and it would be best if you just remove some of it to be safe.

I never ran into any issues but heard that a lot of people did. I would do it all over again as the sound on WOT is simply, sick!

I miss her a little bit...
Installation is the key to everything - oil filter or not. Very nice ride. What happened to her?

Old 04-25-2010, 10:00 AM
TAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by radgirl
Installation is the key to everything - oil filter or not. Very nice ride. What happened to her?
I have a problem keeping cars...usually get tired and get something else. I sold her about 2 1/2 years ago, then replaced it shortly after a Viper GTS...which I then I replaced with an 08 Viper...which I just sold (new owner takes delivery in a few days)...so now I am shopping for a replacement - thinking P cars again.

Old 04-25-2010, 12:13 PM
GT3Gavin is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by TAILWAG
I have a problem keeping cars...usually get tired and get something else. I sold her about 2 1/2 years ago, then replaced it shortly after a Viper GTS...which I then I replaced with an 08 Viper...which I just sold (new owner takes delivery in a few days)...so now I am shopping for a replacement - thinking P cars again.
Come back to porsche man, your black one looked good and you should build another to make us pcar owners proud

Old 04-26-2010, 10:17 PM
tw02996c4s is infamous around these parts
No problems here either.I use the dry cover on the outside.I think you'll like the intake noise and added power.

Old 04-26-2010, 11:48 PM
KAZ911 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by radgirl
Thanks for the help Tim. And yes, we should meet up. We should get a bunch of us locals together.
+1 Let me know

Old 04-30-2010, 12:56 PM
VIP C4 is infamous around these parts
I have a brand new one just sitting in my garage....if anyone is interested...just PM me
K&N part number 57-7000, sealed in box never opened.

Old 04-30-2010, 03:13 PM
Airrik is infamous around these partsAirrik is infamous around these parts
Can someone please post some dyno numbers before and after on this K&N intake?

Old 05-03-2010, 07:04 PM
porschespeeddemon Is a GOD !porschespeeddemon Is a GOD !porschespeeddemon Is a GOD !porschespeeddemon Is a GOD !porschespeeddemon Is a GOD !porschespeeddemon Is a GOD !porschespeeddemon Is a GOD !porschespeeddemon Is a GOD !porschespeeddemon Is a GOD !porschespeeddemon Is a GOD !porschespeeddemon Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Small Shrimp
Rad

Tim here. Fellow CO member. i have always found on my PCars and BMW's that an intake and more open exhaust helps us here at altitude. I have NEVER blown a MAF on any car due tot he filter. Like you said. Light mist on the filter and you are golden.

We need to meet up cuz I can give you plenty of info and I am starting to mod my PCar now to
Uh oh...Mod-Man Tim has arrived Nice avatar! I have seen very few issues with these installed, and I do see a few of them. Overall not a huge deal, seems more prevelant on the turbos when it comes to MAF/oiled filter issues. I would also second cleaning it, and reoiling lightly, and allowing it to soak in completely. Sometimes they come out of the bags just dripping oil. I see more MAF issues from just lack of air filter maintenance.

Last edited by porschespeeddemon; 05-03-2010 at 07:06 PM.
Old 05-04-2010, 07:56 AM
Codyk is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Airrik
Can someone please post some dyno numbers before and after on this K&N intake?
I'd like to see this as well. The claims on page one seem pretty high for an n/a motor. Not doubting K&N but I'd like to see a private owners results.

Old 05-06-2010, 02:00 PM
Airrik is infamous around these partsAirrik is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Codyk
I'd like to see this as well. The claims on page one seem pretty high for an n/a motor. Not doubting K&N but I'd like to see a private owners results.
Rad are you up to the challenge?

Old 05-06-2010, 02:16 PM
Originally Posted by Airrik
Rad are you up to the challenge?
Who would like to pay for the Dyno?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: K&N Cold Air Intake Kit