996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

K&N Cold Air Intake Kit

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-22-2010, 11:23 AM
radgirl is infamous around these parts
Lightbulb K&N Cold Air Intake Kit

Ok all,

I just ordered a K&N cold air intake kit. I am getting conflicting reports from the dealer and from independent mechanics. The dealer says stay far away from the kit because particle will collect on the mass airflow sensor causing the check engine light to go on and thus need repair. The independent guys all say I will see a performance increase, save on gas, and it's a good idea to have. Can those of you who have one please chime in on this one as soon as you can?

Thanks to you all!

Old 04-22-2010, 11:35 AM
Sleepy996 is a jewel in the roughSleepy996 is a jewel in the roughSleepy996 is a jewel in the roughSleepy996 is a jewel in the rough
The excess oil that comes on the K&N filters sometimes collects on the MAF sensor causing problems. GL

Old 04-22-2010, 11:38 AM
Originally Posted by Sleepy996
The excess oil that comes on the K&N filters sometimes collects on the MAF sensor causing problems. GL
That's what the independent mechanic stated. However, he said as long as you are careful with the oil (LIGHT mist), then everything should be fine. He highly recommended it.

So, does anyone here recommend it or should I stay far away?

Old 04-22-2010, 11:48 AM
buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !
if your willing to deal with the possibility of problems go for it, if you dont want to ever have any headaches dont bother

Old 04-22-2010, 11:52 AM
Sleepy996 is a jewel in the roughSleepy996 is a jewel in the roughSleepy996 is a jewel in the roughSleepy996 is a jewel in the rough
I put one on my 996 and also on my e46 m3 it wouldn't scare me off worst case you get a new MAF sensor.

Old 04-22-2010, 12:00 PM
Originally Posted by Sleepy996
I put one on my 996 and also on my e46 m3 it wouldn't scare me off worst case you get a new MAF sensor.
Thanks Sleepy. I guess that goes for any mod you make. Something can go wrong at any time. But I figure if I follow the instructions for the oil and go light on it, I should see any issues. I guess the real question is, are the headaches a big enough deterrent to not get the kit. If the kit provides better gas mileage and overall performance, then perhaps it's the way to go.

Old 04-22-2010, 12:01 PM
Wicked 996 is infamous around these partsWicked 996 is infamous around these parts
i've been running K&N for a couple of years now. No problems, no issues. Somewhat of a pain to install cause its so many pieces though haha - other than that I am happy with it.

Old 04-22-2010, 12:03 PM
Originally Posted by Wicked 996
i've been running K&N for a couple of years now. No problems, no issues. Somewhat of a pain to install cause its so many pieces though haha - other than that I am happy with it.
Since you've got it up and running with no issues, what improvements did you see in the vehicle overall?

Old 04-22-2010, 12:17 PM
Wicked 996 is infamous around these partsWicked 996 is infamous around these parts
More noise Only under full throttle. Other than that I would say probably some seat of the pants increase - nothing I have dynoed though.

In regards to oil - the K&N filters come pre-oiled so dont add more. I also stuff it full of newspaper inside and out for a day or so to let it soak up any excess. Also while your in there and the MAF is out - clean it with MAF spray you can pick up at any auto parts store - good time to do it.

Old 04-22-2010, 12:21 PM
Originally Posted by Wicked 996
More noise Only under full throttle. Other than that I would say probably some seat of the pants increase - nothing I have dynoed though.

In regards to oil - the K&N filters come pre-oiled so dont add more. I also stuff it full of newspaper inside and out for a day or so to let it soak up any excess. Also while your in there and the MAF is out - clean it with MAF spray you can pick up at any auto parts store - good time to do it.
Wicked, thanks for making me feel better. I'm not looking for someone to tell me what I want to hear, but I'm tired of people and their conflicting reports. So overall, you did see improvements and that's great to hear. What brand of MAF cleaner should I get? I will also soak up any excess oil from delivery.

Old 04-22-2010, 12:31 PM
brand is CRC

Old 04-22-2010, 12:35 PM
John L is infamous around these parts
+1 on going lightly with the oil. Let it thoroughly soak in and dry before you install the filter after cleaning or initial installation. If not the CEL will go on and you may be replacing the MAF. Don't ask how I know....

Old 04-22-2010, 01:11 PM
150shot is infamous around these parts
I've researched this a ton too. This is also an issue for M.B cars- can be hit or miss, some have CEL's some dont. When I do decide to get an intake it might be the dry kind.

Old 04-22-2010, 01:16 PM
nijoma has much to be proud ofnijoma has much to be proud ofnijoma has much to be proud ofnijoma has much to be proud ofnijoma has much to be proud ofnijoma has much to be proud ofnijoma has much to be proud ofnijoma has much to be proud ofnijoma has much to be proud of
I have no issues

I have run the fabspeed then the evo and now I have a K/N with no issues, I did replace the filter with an AEM dry filter and I run a filter sock on that, so no oil if you are worried. I like the K/N the best out of them all. Before this starts a debate, I did run the oil filter for a couple thousand miles on both the K/N and the evolution motorsports CAI.

AEM part number 21-204DK, the filter sock is made by injen and it should be a medium size filter cover, I always hated oiling the filters so I like the dry better.

Last edited by nijoma; 04-22-2010 at 01:22 PM.
Old 04-22-2010, 03:24 PM
Awaiting Email Confirmation
HxCforlife has a spectacular aura aboutHxCforlife has a spectacular aura about
I have had the K&N for 2 years. It did burn out my MAF. But since then i have switched to a AEM Oil-less filter and have not had a problem since. I didn't feel the performance but it does sound better then stock.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: K&N Cold Air Intake Kit