996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Tiptronic problems: Replacement - Rebuilt?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-29-2010, 01:08 PM
tarzancoe is infamous around these parts
Tiptronic problems: Replacement - Rebuilt?

99 tip C2, 110,000 miles... just got engine rebuilt... and now the tip is starting to slip. Took to mechanic and it seems that indeed the trannie is in its last stages. Whether it will last several months or less it is hard to predict.

Option 1. Getting a rebuilt tip transmission. The only place I could find is Vertex Auto. The whole job would be around 4-5k. The problem is that I have not heard other than not so good stories about going in this route: It is my understanding that because Porsche does not sell tip parts, the only way to rebuild them is to mix and match parts from used transmissions. This makes sense as a core tip is worth to Porsche only $400, that's all. So, you purchase a rebuilt trannie and it is really a "remixed" trannie.

Option 2 is to get it new from Porsche. Installed it would be very close to 10k. Ouch, but a brand new trannie, to match with the brand new engine 3k miles ago. What else could go wrong, right?

Option 3 would be to get a used trannie with few miles, say 20k or so. The problem here is that if it comes from a wreck, it is likely that the trannie might have been impacted under stress or similar at the moment of the accident. Again, a gamble unless the procedence is from a trusted source.

Option 4 is swapping to manual. This is labor intensive and I doubt it could be done for 10k, even dismissing the perceived loss of value due to having a conversion done (currently the car is a complete financial loss anyway).

Perhaps there is a shop out there with a solid reputation regarding tiptronics but I have not found it. Any input would be appreciated as I'll need to do something about it soon.

Cheers.

Old 04-29-2010, 04:21 PM
geetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant future
I haven't found a source that can properly rebuild a tip tranny. You would think that there would be a few well known one's but haven't found one yet.
The previous owner replaced my tranny with a used 25k or so mile tranny and it's holding up great so far(50k or so additional miles). The receipts show about 5k or so installed. I guess this route can be a hit or miss but mine has held up well so far. There are a couple dismantlers that carry the tranny.
Is a new one 10k installed?
I guess it comes down to how long you want to keep the car. If you're planning to keep it a long time with many more miles...it "might" be safer to put in a new tranny. If not, if you can locate a low milage used tranny, I don't think it'd be a bad idea either. Just make sure to replace the tranny fluid.
BTW what happened to the engine? What was rebuilt?

Old 04-29-2010, 04:44 PM
I got a cracked head and cracked cylinder sleeve. That meant to have to rebuild engine, at the tune of too much money. I got lucky and it cost me half of the usual 15k, because I found a great guy/shop (with great referrals as well) that does racing engines and wanted to bother with it. Still, a lot of money.

Old 04-29-2010, 04:45 PM
It seems like an obvious answer... but what is the best way to find a used tranny?

Old 04-29-2010, 04:49 PM
geetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant future
Check out ufo motorsports in long beach...they do porsches only...especially engine and manual tranny rebuilds...they might have some leads on tip tranny

Old 04-29-2010, 04:50 PM
Originally Posted by geetee
Check out ufo motorsports in long beach...they do porsches only...especially engine and manual tranny rebuilds...they might have some leads on tip tranny
Thanks for tip.

Old 04-29-2010, 04:53 PM
Originally Posted by tarzancoe
It seems like an obvious answer... but what is the best way to find a used tranny?

Check oklahoma dismantlers and the one in la....I can't remember the one in la....but both specialize in porsches only

Old 04-29-2010, 04:57 PM
Originally Posted by geetee
Check oklahoma dismantlers and the one in la....I can't remember the one in la....but both specialize in porsches only
Thanks...probably you are thinking of LA dismantlers... the problem is knowing how the rebuilt is done by such third parties as Porsche does not sell pieces. I have heard mixed results, at best.

Old 04-29-2010, 09:11 PM
alpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond repute
www.car-part.com

They are showing 7 tips ranging from $1k-$4k. Surprisingly the $1k is with 42k miles so even with the cost of shipping and returning your core, the gamble might pay off if you're a gambling kind of guy.

Old 05-11-2010, 10:25 AM
EastBay is infamous around these parts
These guys shows tip rebuild kits and rebuilt tip exchange units http://www.europeantransmissions.com/ never used these guys, but parts are parts

Old 05-11-2010, 05:08 PM
mikes_996 is infamous around these parts
these is also a place in sacramento that seems to sell alot of porsche parts including engines and trannies..

Old 05-11-2010, 05:09 PM
mikes_996 is infamous around these parts
have you tried changing the fluids and filter? that might hopefully help...

Old 06-30-2010, 05:14 PM
The Dark Knight is infamous around these parts
Why would you buy a used Tip box w/ no history or supposed history and risk redoing the job again? The complete Pentosin fluid and filter swap is upwards of $500 alone. Unless you are buying a new box, the rebuilt box is the best way to go since you have no idea what the driving style or abuse the used box took is. I am not sure about the reliabiltiy of the source that told you that Porsche does not sell tranny parts? The Vertex box has a new OEM oil pump, clutch packs, OEM master seal kit and bearing set included; they are not cannibalized parts. The only part they list as rebuilt was the torque converter. You can call them and verify that, but I am sure I have had that conversation. Vendors do have access to parts that are not available to the general public.

If you are set on the used route, DC Automotive is another choice in addition to the above listed ones: http://dcauto.gotdns.com/illustratio...ghlight=166868.

Attached is another as well; http://www.trademotion.com/partlocat...01&catalogid=1

Regards...TDK