996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Down shifting and bliping the throttle

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-04-2010, 03:26 PM
Steve01tt is just really niceSteve01tt is just really niceSteve01tt is just really niceSteve01tt is just really niceSteve01tt is just really nice
I thought I was pretty good at this until I had a chance to ride with an old master at the track in an older modified 911 last week. I very much underestimated this technique until experiencing it done to perfection. It was amazing how much smoother he setup and entered the turns by blipping the throttle and hitting each downshift perfectly while carrying a ton of speed. Once again I was greatly humbled by another's driving talent. Well worth it to learn and practice this technique.

Old 05-04-2010, 03:51 PM
radgirl is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Steve01tt
I thought I was pretty good at this until I had a chance to ride with an old master at the track in an older modified 911 last week. I very much underestimated this technique until experiencing it done to perfection. It was amazing how much smoother he setup and entered the turns by blipping the throttle and hitting each downshift perfectly while carrying a ton of speed. Once again I was greatly humbled by another's driving talent. Well worth it to learn and practice this technique.
Wow, that's really amazing. I hope to get even remotely close at learning such a technique. Right now, I just want to know how to drive the car.

Old 05-05-2010, 06:56 AM
gaspasser19 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Codyk
Seems like overkill just drive it. Have you guys never slammed the car down a gear or two really hard
Holy Crap! Remind me to never buy a car from you!

Old 05-05-2010, 09:13 AM
Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !
It's easy enough to do with a little practice... You know you've got it when you can downshift and feel absolutely nothing until you either hit the gas to speed up or release the gas to slow down. This means there is no wear at all on the clutch for this procedure. If you do it and feel a lurch as the car slows down, you didn't give enough gas on your blip. If there is a clunk and the car speeds up, you gave to much. Keep practicing.

Old 05-05-2010, 09:37 AM
Gungriffin has a brilliant futureGungriffin has a brilliant futureGungriffin has a brilliant futureGungriffin has a brilliant futureGungriffin has a brilliant futureGungriffin has a brilliant futureGungriffin has a brilliant futureGungriffin has a brilliant futureGungriffin has a brilliant futureGungriffin has a brilliant futureGungriffin has a brilliant future
There is nothing better than feeling the engine RPMs shoot up to where they were supposed to be and feeling no reaction from the car as you do it. Like others have mentioned it is really good to practice on long stretches of open road. I take it one step further. I downshift and try not to feel a jerk from the car while going the same speed. It requires me to figure out where the gas pedal needs to be in the lower gear as well because to maintain the speed at a lower gear will require more throttle. I also know all of my gears in speed per thousand, but I am good with math. This lets me figure out where I want to be based on the speed I am doing.

Old 05-05-2010, 02:12 PM
uberpoop has a reputation beyond reputeuberpoop has a reputation beyond reputeuberpoop has a reputation beyond reputeuberpoop has a reputation beyond reputeuberpoop has a reputation beyond reputeuberpoop has a reputation beyond reputeuberpoop has a reputation beyond reputeuberpoop has a reputation beyond reputeuberpoop has a reputation beyond reputeuberpoop has a reputation beyond reputeuberpoop has a reputation beyond repute
one question: do you blip the throttle while the clutch pedal is depressed?
seems you would have to, right?

how is that on clutch wear?

edit: ok, more than one question.

Old 05-05-2010, 02:15 PM
2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by uberpoop
one question: do you blip the throttle while the clutch pedal is depressed?
seems you would have to, right?

how is that on clutch wear?

edit: ok, more than one question.

depressed and as you are just starting to let the clutch out, it's no more wear than regular use? Pratice and timing =

Old 05-05-2010, 02:23 PM
Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !
Yes, blip with the clutch in - anything you do with the clutch depressed in will have no effect on clutch wear. While you are learning, your blips can be longer - until you get the timing down. Speed is not essential as long as the rev difference is reasonable.

Old 05-05-2010, 09:25 PM
Don
Don is a name known to allDon is a name known to allDon is a name known to allDon is a name known to allDon is a name known to allDon is a name known to all
I practice this constantly. I rarely match the rev perfectly to the speed, but I feel it is better than not doing it at all. I also do it when down shifting to a stop...mostly for practice.

I'm surprised no one mentioned the auditory pleasures of this practice

Old 05-06-2010, 08:42 AM
DaveFL1976 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by GT3 Chuck
probably not for street driving but...if you want to be a smooth driver and not upset the car and your passenger when downshifting you should develop the skill...when you are good at it you can go down the gears without jerking the car one bit...this is important in tracking because the car may be near the limit and any jerkiness will upset it...don't get in the habit of compression braking (that means slowing the car by downshifting, letting out the clutch without throttle and having the engine slow the car instead of the brakes...these cars have great brakes and it is not necessary to compression brake...having this habit can lead to a possible money shift (shifting from 5th to 2nd instead of 4th)...sounds like you are having fun with the car and that is the most important thing of all
Great response! And while it's true that engine braking will wear down your drivetrain as opposed to the big, disposable pads and rotors that are put there to stop you, it just sounds SO MUCH COOLER to slow the car down with a blip of the throttle and a downshift!