996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

coilovers recommendations??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-04-2010, 10:54 PM
alpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond repute
LOL at the Shamwow sales pitch video. I'd rather hit bumpstops than scrape my undercarriage all the time. There are uses for both types but I can see all the ricers "slam" their ride yet wanting a full stroke and some 150lb/in springs to boot for the comfort factor.

Joe, please update this post after a year. I'm very curious how the "new and improved" versions turn out. Any idea besides the paint on what these new improvements are? Will you be doing any tracking or DE?

Old 05-05-2010, 06:34 AM
PacMan Z has much to be proud ofPacMan Z has much to be proud ofPacMan Z has much to be proud ofPacMan Z has much to be proud ofPacMan Z has much to be proud ofPacMan Z has much to be proud ofPacMan Z has much to be proud ofPacMan Z has much to be proud ofPacMan Z has much to be proud of
I will update as my experience with the product grows, for the benefit of eveyone following this thread.

Old 05-05-2010, 06:42 AM
AudiOn19s is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Mgtythor1
thanks for the feedback..i havent seen any hr or pss for less than $2500
Tirerack has the basic H&R street coilovers for $1755.

My local dealer who I have a decent relationship with got me the H&R RSS Clubsport coilovers for even less than that.

Andy

Old 05-05-2010, 06:43 AM
YoopsRacing is infamous around these parts
thanks for the feedback..i havent seen any hr or pss for less than $2500
they are out there for less money, but you have to shop.
I had PSS9s and loved them on my 996. Factor in the install cost and a alignment for the total cost. Agree with previous threads - don't cheap out if you go this route and remember there are coilover kits that cost a lot more than Bilstein/HR.

Old 05-05-2010, 09:32 PM
randy308 is infamous around these parts
Pss10,h and r sways!

Attached Images   
Old 05-06-2010, 07:13 PM
NIKAS is infamous around these parts
I agree the H&R sways will dramatically reduce body roll. To hunker down, I would go M030 or PSS9 if you want to adjust.

Old 05-06-2010, 08:55 PM
Mgtythor1 is infamous around these parts
very informative..anyone have experience with these orient socks...and does hr or pss'soffer fully coiled..

Old 05-06-2010, 09:31 PM
scubadawg is a splendid one to beholdscubadawg is a splendid one to beholdscubadawg is a splendid one to beholdscubadawg is a splendid one to beholdscubadawg is a splendid one to beholdscubadawg is a splendid one to beholdscubadawg is a splendid one to beholdscubadawg is a splendid one to behold
very informative..anyone have experience with these orient socks...and does hr or pss'soffer fully coiled..
I posted the youtube vid, just to show the differences between the full and partial threaded coilovers.

Myself I would go with full threaded coilovers, but so far I haven't found any descent Jap coilovers. I looked at D2 but not enough info on them.
So my choice would be KW, Bilsteins, H&R, but they are are around 2-3K

Old 05-07-2010, 06:23 AM
alpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond repute
On a lowered car, you want to go with the a system that limits travel either through the bump stops and/or higher spring rates or else your stroke range will be too long that you your car's chassis or other parts might be scraping.

The full stroke dual adjustables as seen in the video are more for comfort and something the crazy eastern companies have come up with. If these really offered benefits, you would see all the European companies selling these and all the racing teams using these types. They don't for a reason...

Old 05-07-2010, 08:24 AM
KAZ911 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by scubadawg
I posted the youtube vid, just to show the differences between the full and partial threaded coilovers.

Myself I would go with full threaded coilovers, but so far I haven't found any descent Jap coilovers. I looked at D2 but not enough info on them.
So my choice would be KW, Bilsteins, H&R, but they are are around 2-3K
I have D2s on my S2000 and I think they're great. The company also has a great policy in case there are any issues with them. I have Gemballa coilovers on my 996 (basically H&R) and I think the D2s almost match them in performance and are 1/4th of the price (only because the D2s are harsher but they are adjustable).

Old 05-07-2010, 01:44 PM
ldrhoades is infamous around these parts
I've got H&R RSS coilovers on my 996 and love them (GT3 lower controls, sways, tarret camber plates too). Car handles extremely well. Most of the track rats I know end up have a love hate relationship with their adjustable coilovers as they typically don't get enough laps (or have the expertise) to properly adjust them. I don't find the ride overly harsh (the camber plates tend to BANG), and have the car set farily low (108mm front/118mm rear). I too would stay away from the K2's and the like. Just my two cents.

Old 05-07-2010, 07:38 PM
JB Lifeguard Is a GOD !JB Lifeguard Is a GOD !JB Lifeguard Is a GOD !JB Lifeguard Is a GOD !JB Lifeguard Is a GOD !JB Lifeguard Is a GOD !JB Lifeguard Is a GOD !JB Lifeguard Is a GOD !JB Lifeguard Is a GOD !JB Lifeguard Is a GOD !JB Lifeguard Is a GOD !
finally got the car back after the PSS9 installation. As usual, it was a bit more than estimated.

however, the car is completely different, as anticipated. now, through aggressive turns the car barely leans. ride on uneven road can be a challenge.

the video was interesting suggesting going to higher priced ones are much better. so, i am glad i went with a set of pss9s.

JB