996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

coilovers recommendations??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-03-2010, 08:16 PM
Mgtythor1 is infamous around these parts
coilovers recommendations??

looking for some cheaper coilovers...pss9 or even hr brand are pretty expensive....looking for go a little cheaper....eby has some k2 coilovers..
anyone know about them..or a set of used hr or pss's...just finished a tech art front and sides and home spacers...now i'm addicted to this mod thing..always looking to do something....

Old 05-03-2010, 09:56 PM
alpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Mgtythor1
looking for some cheaper coilovers...pss9 or even hr brand are pretty expensive....looking for go a little cheaper....eby has some k2 coilovers..
anyone know about them..or a set of used hr or pss's...just finished a tech art front and sides and home spacers...now i'm addicted to this mod thing..always looking to do something....
You've got the wrong car as "Cheaper" doesn't necessarily mix in with p-cars. You're going to be wasting time with K-Sport, D2, etc. You're going to need to spend at least $1800 or so on either H&R or Bilsteins at the least. I've had friends that have used these and also seen most of the coilovers shocks on a shock dyno so I do know a little here and there. My ME friend also took some apart to examine the construction and seals so even if you have temporary "performance" you will not have the reliability.

This isn't a Honda or Nissan if you've come over from those cars...

my $.03

Old 05-03-2010, 10:04 PM
Banned
FAB-WORX is infamous around these parts
He is completely right stay away from budget suspension with this variant of vehicle.

Old 05-03-2010, 10:09 PM
rajeshr is infamous around these parts
If you don't want to spend much, keep an eye out for a used set of PSS9's/10's. Don't go with cheaper brands unless there is a lot of good feedback for them. If you search for reviews on K2, you'll see that they aren't that favourable.

Stick to the ones that get positive feedback from owners. BTW, you can pick up a new set of PSS9's for about $1800 on eBay!

Old 05-03-2010, 11:31 PM
Duane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond repute
Going cheap on a Porsche only ends up costing you more money than if you just did it right the first time. Get the PSS9/10s. The incremental parts costs is well worth it compared to both the long term results and the cost of installation/alignment (the same cost for cheap or expensive parts).

Old 05-04-2010, 06:37 AM
AudiOn19s is infamous around these parts
As others have stated you're better off going with H&R or Bilstein even if you have to do so by finding a used set.

I have personal experience with the k-sports and it was not a pleasant one. I ended up with H&R's on my car and couldn't have been happier with them.

Even a used take-off from a GT3 could be made to work for reasonable money ($1000-1200) and they seem to pop up all the time.

Andy

Old 05-04-2010, 06:38 AM
PacMan Z has much to be proud ofPacMan Z has much to be proud ofPacMan Z has much to be proud ofPacMan Z has much to be proud ofPacMan Z has much to be proud ofPacMan Z has much to be proud ofPacMan Z has much to be proud ofPacMan Z has much to be proud ofPacMan Z has much to be proud of
If you asked this question in January, I would say stay away from K-Sport. Their older models (orange and silver bodies) were not a very good coilover. They have made alot of improvements to their new model(black and orange body) and designed a affordable entry level coilover system. I recently purchased a set of pre owned H&R and upon install discovered a blown shock. I was refunded 100% and bought a set of the new K-Sports (black and orange). I am 100% satisfied with their product and customer service. This goes without saying that Pss9/10 and KW are great products with a customer base full of satisfied users and after identifying my wants/needs, K-Sport was my choice.

Old 05-04-2010, 09:26 AM
JB Lifeguard Is a GOD !JB Lifeguard Is a GOD !JB Lifeguard Is a GOD !JB Lifeguard Is a GOD !JB Lifeguard Is a GOD !JB Lifeguard Is a GOD !JB Lifeguard Is a GOD !JB Lifeguard Is a GOD !JB Lifeguard Is a GOD !JB Lifeguard Is a GOD !JB Lifeguard Is a GOD !
I have gone through exactly the same calculus. It depends upon how much it costs to install the items.
if you can do it your self, the savings is about $800 on $1800 (new PSS9s) or $1300 (used PSS9s) = 44%.
if you need a service shop to intall, add another $800 (or more), so you save the same $800 buying K_sports on total bill of $2600, or 30%.

the real risk is of failure; K-sport will not reimburse you for cost of taking them off and re-installing.

so, there you have it.

JB

p.s. I am having a set of used PSS9s installed today.

Old 05-04-2010, 10:30 AM
harut is infamous around these parts
Have the HRs, very good. Love them.

Old 05-04-2010, 11:03 AM
alpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond repute
Last time I checked, K-Sport doesn't have lifetime warranty and where do you even send the items back for Warranty service? Overseas?

Not knocking K-Sport as they could've improved but a couple items that still remain is the reliability/warranty issue and the refined shock dampening you might find with other units.

If both of these matter little to you or are low on your list, then I would say to try them out if wanna gamble a bit.

Old 05-04-2010, 12:03 PM
PacMan Z has much to be proud ofPacMan Z has much to be proud ofPacMan Z has much to be proud ofPacMan Z has much to be proud ofPacMan Z has much to be proud ofPacMan Z has much to be proud ofPacMan Z has much to be proud ofPacMan Z has much to be proud ofPacMan Z has much to be proud of
Like most products you purchase, your likely to take them back to the original place you bought them from, as most distributors will offer a helping hand (hopefully) in resolving product failure and customer satisfaction needs. Of course, this is a disadvantage to individuals who purchase via internet (shipping to and from, no face to face communication, etc).

I'm not saying that Pss9/10, KW or H&R are not worth my time or good enough for my 911, but if no one tried a new product or brand, then its quite possible a well designed product might go unnoticed. So far I am a satisfied with my purchase and all of my needs have been met.

Joe

Old 05-04-2010, 01:07 PM
buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by PacMan Z
If you asked this question in January, I would say stay away from K-Sport. Their older models (orange and silver bodies) were not a very good coilover. They have made alot of improvements to their new model(black and orange body) and designed a affordable entry level coilover system. I recently purchased a set of pre owned H&R and upon install discovered a blown shock. I was refunded 100% and bought a set of the new K-Sports (black and orange). I am 100% satisfied with their product and customer service. This goes without saying that Pss9/10 and KW are great products with a customer base full of satisfied users and after identifying my wants/needs, K-Sport was my choice.
what warranty are they offering now ?

the reason i didnt go with them is because they only offered a 12 month warranty, I heard of lot of them failed, bearing in mind its a 9 hour job i only want to do this once, even if they are covered under warranty that warranty will not cover any labor

Old 05-04-2010, 01:19 PM
Its still a 1 year warranty (which I know isnt comparable to a PSS9/10 warranty, which is lifetime). You are correct, their prior model year did have their problems and this was even discussed to me by K-Sport when I called them regarding some questions I had, one of which being the not so positive claims I heard.

Old 05-04-2010, 08:05 PM
Mgtythor1 is infamous around these parts
thanks for the feedback..i havent seen any hr or pss for less than $2500

Old 05-04-2010, 08:37 PM
scubadawg is a splendid one to beholdscubadawg is a splendid one to beholdscubadawg is a splendid one to beholdscubadawg is a splendid one to beholdscubadawg is a splendid one to beholdscubadawg is a splendid one to beholdscubadawg is a splendid one to beholdscubadawg is a splendid one to behold
Here's a lesson on choosing coilovers

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ztmsUiU5Xo

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: coilovers recommendations??