996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

To supercharge or not to supercharge...that is the question..

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-18-2005, 02:54 PM
Porsche Chick
RobynC is infamous around these partsRobynC is infamous around these parts
Originally posted by newport996
Robyn, To me it would be a no. Sometimes, but VERY rarely do I want more HP. I am a big fan of mods, but not a big fan of engine mods, why? Well because of catastrophic engine failure. It may be rare, but the extra force and pressure exerted on my 996 engine MUST take some toll on the longevity. In fact, the Porsche dealer told me the X50 power kits actually reduce the engine life of the car. This while trying to sell me a 996 with the power kit. So, unless you are prepared to fork out for a new engine because a SC will void your warranty, then I would say don't do it. Were there not a few blown Boxster engines on PPBB with SC's? You know the 996 Turbos are coming down in price, maybe a Turbo is in your future? it may be in mine!!!!
There is a fine line on just what voids the warranty. They would have to prove that something failed because of it firstly. And with regard to the blown Boxsters, remember, those guys had their boost set to insane levels...they asked for trouble and definitely got it. That is one thing I am actually not so concerned with, as there are Pcar dealers out there who actually doing the installing of the SCs. I do think very highly of the Turbos, however, having driven a standard and an X50, I have to say that I appreciate the linear power delivery of a NA car.

I sure would like to know how the SC would reduce the life of the engine and what they estimate it to be. Thanks hun, I appreciate your comments.

Old 01-18-2005, 02:58 PM
02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute
honestly i'd do it...

as for smog u got sharky there to remove the s/c during smog time, so u have no problems there in my opinion. if the motor takes a dump remove the s/c and take it in lol the dealer will most likely waranty it lol...

as for me i was thiking of s/c but.... i've always been a turbo guy, when the opprtunity came for the turbo i had to grab it.. and
tyson made me do it lol...

Old 01-18-2005, 02:59 PM
Porsche Chick
RobynC is infamous around these partsRobynC is infamous around these parts
Originally posted by dpblessing
I wonder if it would make a difference to anyone's response if the shop already had your special order / pre-paid SC AND you car there right now waiting to do the install that has been scheduled for weeks?
Doug!! So unfair...but I will come clean. I've wanted to do this SC since last spring. Insofar as to contacting Todd about it. I've tossed the idea around for sometime and made a commitment to myself that I would do this at the beginning of the year (now). I was hoping it would be CARB certified.

Yes, the check is written, yes I've had it scheduled for a month just about and yes, the order is on hold pending the outcome of my indecision...not to mention my car is already at Akkurat. A woman has the right to reconsider her choices, especially while they are still flexible without any hardship to anyone.

Old 01-18-2005, 03:11 PM
Captain Tal is infamous around these parts
Robyn,

I do not have a SC installed (yet) so take my advice for what it's worth. This is not an easy decision. If you are like most of us and don't have lots of spare cash lying around, $8-10k is a LOT of money. You may be advised to put your cash in an asset that actually appreciates.

However, I do not buy the argument that a Supercharger destroys engine life. It might affect it a little (5-10% over the 200k life of the car) but it is highly unlikely you will have to worry about it. The tradeoff of fun vs. wear is an easy one. To my knowledge, there have been NO adverse effects of a EVO/GIAC SC 996. Forced induction is forced induction. A supercharger has the same net effect as a Turbocharger (albeit a TC is more efficient) 996 engines are pretty tough and can withstand a SC with no problem. Do not let someone’s fear of the unknown affect your decision.

In my mind, it is pure economics. Can you afford to put $10k in a depreciating asset? BTW - While you may be able to enjoy a Rolex for a long time, it is still a depreciating asset. Providing you can afford it, I would choose a SC over a Rolex. But then, I really like to go fast.

Good Luck.

Old 01-18-2005, 03:22 PM
newport996 is infamous around these partsnewport996 is infamous around these parts
Originally posted by Captain Tal
However, I do not buy the argument that a Supercharger destroys engine life. It might affect it a little (5-10% over the 200k life of the car) but it is highly unlikely you will have to worry about it. The tradeoff of fun vs. wear is an easy one. To my knowledge, there have been NO adverse effects of a EVO/GIAC SC 996. Forced induction is forced induction. A supercharger has the same net effect as a Turbocharger (albeit a TC is more efficient) 996 engines are pretty tough and can withstand a SC with no problem. Do not let someone’s fear of the unknown affect your decision.
Well, according to PORSCHE when they first turbocharged the 996 engine, and had them rather reliably FAIL, they went with the older air cooled block for the 996 Turbo engine. So the M96 engine in the normally aspirated cars has failed using forced induction. What boost? How long until failure? What actually failed? Only Porsche knows the answers to those questions. Like I said for me and my piece of mind, i'd put the 10K and my car and look into a 996 Turbo...I have seen them for as low as 70K now with low mileage. But that does not mean others would do that same car, I am sure Robyn will be happy with the extra HP and get PLENTY of use out of a SC...I have seen her drive! just my 2 cents....

Old 01-18-2005, 03:34 PM
schnellerm3 has a brilliant futureschnellerm3 has a brilliant futureschnellerm3 has a brilliant futureschnellerm3 has a brilliant futureschnellerm3 has a brilliant futureschnellerm3 has a brilliant futureschnellerm3 has a brilliant futureschnellerm3 has a brilliant futureschnellerm3 has a brilliant futureschnellerm3 has a brilliant futureschnellerm3 has a brilliant future
I'm sorry, am I the only one who is really confused here? You guys are saying SC'ing an engine, increasing its compression ration BIG TIME, will have absolutely no adverse effects on anything? Have you guys supercharged a car for any decent amount of miles (e.g. 50K plus)?

The engine already has a high compression ratio - even with proper tuning, you're still increasing the compression ratio, probably increasing EGT's, and putting more stress on everything from the piston rings to the tranny to the driveshaft. It's simply physics - the pistons will be taking more of a beating under boost than not. If you don't believe me, call up a tuner and get them to tell you in writing that the SC'er is guaranteed not to have any adverse effects on the engine.

Yes, the will still last a long time, but don't expect 200K out of a supercharged NA engine unless you swapped internals (it might go 150 instead of 200 or something). It just seems like you guys are being a bit unlrealistic about the effects of a supercharger - regardless of tuning, you are putting more stress on the engine thean when it was untouched...

Also, do you guys really think Porsche will warranty a blown engine that's been supercharged? They aren't morons, they might notice destroyed pistons and rings when they take the engine apart.

Not trying to bash anything, I almost sold my car for a SC'ed 996, but you need to be aware that you are paying to play. I don't expect that my engine will last as long as a stock S4 either - but it's worth it for me.

Old 01-18-2005, 03:39 PM
RoverRon is infamous around these parts
I took the plunge. when i first got my car back i was thinking what was i thinking. i dropped 20k in one pop and i only had my car for 2 months. i have plenty of watches. i prefer breitling over rolex, not that it matters. but when i wear a watch it looks good and feels good, but thats about it. but the rush of power is something that you will feel whenever you want and thats something a watch wont give you. if you put the money in your house make sure that you will get that back out of it. you dont always get back what you put into a house. but its a better chance you will get it back from a house than your car. it's a hard choice. if you can't afford to play then don't. if the money is better spent somewhere else then put it there.
just my few cents on it.

Old 01-18-2005, 04:20 PM
1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future
The ONLY risk to the engine involved with increasing the effetive compression ratio 996 engine, is detonantion. However, this risk is eliminated with proper tuning and cooling of the intake air. If you want to boost the engine witout proper tuning and air cooling, then it won't be the compression that wears out the engine, but the burning of holes in your pstons

Old 01-18-2005, 04:39 PM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
Robyn, just do what's best for you gal be it power, watches etc... You know I'm biased and addicted to power but everyone's different

Old 01-18-2005, 04:40 PM
newport996 is infamous around these partsnewport996 is infamous around these parts
But increasing compression isn't the only thing a supercharger does....Is it by chance that ALL turbocharged engines use heavier duty bottom ends? Forced induction puts more stress on internal engine components, PERIOD. now in a modern engine, will it withstand that? Yes, for some time...how long? who knows, but it will fail, and more prematurely before it normally would.

Old 01-18-2005, 04:47 PM
collin996tt is infamous around these parts
Robyn, save the money for a turbo.

Old 01-18-2005, 04:48 PM
1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future
Of coarse their is more stress on certain parts ofthe engine, but ONLY when at boost, which may be like 1% of the time. You can cruise at 150 mph all day long and never have bost in the engine. Boost is only present at WOT. Otherwise, you are driving a stock engine.

Let me ask you something....is driving the car at 7300 rpm with 11.3:1 compression better or worse for the long term life of the engine than it is driving the car at 6800 rpm with 16:1 compression? Seems to me that ALL experts and anyone who has experience will tell you the higher RPM's will kill the engine alot sooner.

Gaining 20 pounds will wear your shoes out ffaster too.

Old 01-18-2005, 04:58 PM
Marc is just really niceMarc is just really niceMarc is just really niceMarc is just really niceMarc is just really nice
Honestly I know other memebers have them I dont think that supercharging a Porsche is a good idea. I used to have a Caroll Supercharged Vette and this was a blast then again an american V8 can take alot more abuse and is easier to repair then a flat 6...

DONT DO IT SAVE YOUR MONEY YOU ARE JUST BURYING YOURSELF DEEPER LOOK AT ORLI AND FRED SELLING THERE CARS AND LOOSING 100K+ EACH ONE DAY YOU WILL WANT OUT! GET THE ROLEX WEAR IT FOREVER!

Old 01-18-2005, 05:02 PM
<<<<<Robyn, save the money for a turbo.>>>>>

Robyn. If your looking for alot more bottom end out of your car than a Turbo will give you, go with the SC. It's an easy bolt on anyway and can be removed if you move on to better things.

Old 01-18-2005, 05:07 PM
CA 996 is infamous around these parts
DO IT.................to see Kirblings face when you spank him would be like a Mastercard commercial "PRICELESS"

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: To supercharge or not to supercharge...that is the question..