996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

To supercharge or not to supercharge...that is the question..

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-18-2005, 06:26 PM
WARDHOG is infamous around these parts
Save your money for a Turbo then mod the hell out of it.

Old 01-18-2005, 06:42 PM
Itzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond repute
Robyn if the only reason to do it is to beat me, don't waste your time girly. I'll just have Sharky launch my car and you won't stand a chance. Save the 10k for girl stuff and leave the car stuff to us guys!

hahah, how's that? Makes you kind of want it even more now huh!

Old 01-18-2005, 06:54 PM
karlooz is infamous around these parts
Originally posted by Itzkirb
Robyn if the only reason to do it is to beat me, don't waste your time girly. I'll just have Sharky launch my car and you won't stand a chance. Save the 10k for girl stuff and leave the car stuff to us guys!

that'll do it, reverse psychology and chauvinism. robyn can't back out now!

Old 01-18-2005, 06:59 PM
schnellerm3 has a brilliant futureschnellerm3 has a brilliant futureschnellerm3 has a brilliant futureschnellerm3 has a brilliant futureschnellerm3 has a brilliant futureschnellerm3 has a brilliant futureschnellerm3 has a brilliant futureschnellerm3 has a brilliant futureschnellerm3 has a brilliant futureschnellerm3 has a brilliant futureschnellerm3 has a brilliant future
Originally posted by Captain Tal
Oh man, this could turn into a flame war and I don't want any part of that. However, for all of you SC naysayers, If you can SHOW me a negative effect of a normal to moderately boosted SC, you win the prize. Like I said, I have not heard of ANY issues related to a EVO SC on a 996. For a moderate amount of boost, I contend there will be little or no adverse effect on the engine. Just lots more fun.
It should actually be you guys proving that there are NO adverse affects, since the supporters are trying to tell those asking that supercharging an engine not built for supercharging is compeltely, absolutely, positively ok, and nothing bad will come of it.

There are more adverse affects than just detonation - compression itself is hard on the motor. Your pistons are taking a beating with higher compression. Think of it like this - you have a piece of metal and a hammer. If you it the piece of metal for 2 years straight at say 11x force, and then you hit another piece at 16x force, which piece is going to fare better? Same goes for the connecting rods, bearings, etc. I mean it's just common physics - more stress = less life. Same goes for any mod - a short shifter probably will shorten the life of the synchros, etc. etc.

I'm not naysaying guys, I love modding cars and I'm all for supercharging the 996/997. I run more than twice the boost of a stock S4 on my car. BUT, you need to understand that forced induction is hard on a motor. If you don't believe me, I encourage you to call a tuner and get them to show you IN WRITING that supercharging the 996/997 will not put any additional stress on the motor.

Lasltly, I believe the EVO SC came out a little more than a year ago - how many miles have people put on it? Again, don't want to start a flame war, just something to chew on. And the argument that you only use boost 1% of the time is fine, but really not relavant. Someone I know ran 2 bar through his engine for 2 days, and his leak down tests are so bad it's laughable.

Old 01-18-2005, 07:31 PM
dpblessing is infamous around these parts
Originally posted by GoWide
It should actually be you guys proving that there are NO adverse affects, since the supporters are trying to tell those asking that supercharging an engine not built for supercharging is compeltely, absolutely, positively ok, and nothing bad will come of it.

There are more adverse affects than just detonation - compression itself is hard on the motor. Your pistons are taking a beating with higher compression. Think of it like this - you have a piece of metal and a hammer. If you it the piece of metal for 2 years straight at say 11x force, and then you hit another piece at 16x force, which piece is going to fare better? Same goes for the connecting rods, bearings, etc. I mean it's just common physics - more stress = less life. Same goes for any mod - a short shifter probably will shorten the life of the synchros, etc. etc.

I'm not naysaying guys, I love modding cars and I'm all for supercharging the 996/997. I run more than twice the boost of a stock S4 on my car. BUT, you need to understand that forced induction is hard on a motor. If you don't believe me, I encourage you to call a tuner and get them to show you IN WRITING that supercharging the 996/997 will not put any additional stress on the motor.

Lasltly, I believe the EVO SC came out a little more than a year ago - how many miles have people put on it? Again, don't want to start a flame war, just something to chew on. And the argument that you only use boost 1% of the time is fine, but really not relavant. Someone I know ran 2 bar through his engine for 2 days, and his leak down tests are so bad it's laughable.
you may have a point about scs..
although I am curious how a 'short shifter' might stress synchros.

Old 01-18-2005, 07:38 PM
1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future
<<<<
And the argument that you only use boost 1% of the time is fine, but really not relavant. Someone I know ran 2 bar through his engine for 2 days, and his leak down tests are so bad it's laughable.>>>>

GoWide:

That example by itself is laughable.. We are not even talking 25% of that kind of boost. Any guy that increases his compression ratio to 29:1 is an idiot and know nothing about physics. There is a point that the amount of boost reaches a maximum before the heat caused by the compressed air starts reducing power. I am sure that his pistons had nice little holes in them too.

However, I suspect that this guy was just pulling your leg.

Old 01-18-2005, 07:42 PM
schnellerm3 has a brilliant futureschnellerm3 has a brilliant futureschnellerm3 has a brilliant futureschnellerm3 has a brilliant futureschnellerm3 has a brilliant futureschnellerm3 has a brilliant futureschnellerm3 has a brilliant futureschnellerm3 has a brilliant futureschnellerm3 has a brilliant futureschnellerm3 has a brilliant futureschnellerm3 has a brilliant future
2 bar on an Audi S4 != 2 bar on a Porsche. The point was, there is a limit on safe boost levels, and for some engines that limit is 0.

I should note that the owner did not run those boost levels - the guy tuning his car did - and it was a well-known competition. Don't want to go into any specifics, but the car was running lots o' boost.

Old 01-18-2005, 07:45 PM
Porsche Chick
RobynC is infamous around these partsRobynC is infamous around these parts
Originally posted by Itzkirb

What's the matter Kirby, can't you launch your car yourself? Well, I guess since you got a chicktronic...it's quite fitting that you get your *** delivered to you on a plate BY a chick....

....IT'S ON BIAATTCHHH!!

Disclaimer: I don't happen to believe there is anything wrong with Tiptronics...except in Kirbys case.

Old 01-18-2005, 07:48 PM
Originally posted by dpblessing
you may have a point about scs..
although I am curious how a 'short shifter' might stress synchros.
More force through the linkage - to shorten the shifter, you lengthen the point under the pivot, and therefore have less leverage. To compensate, most people throw it a little harder. No biggie, but my point was a lot of modifications put stress on systems that were not engineered for those mods (chip increases stress on turbos, more power increases stress on driveline, lowering increases stress on control arms, etc.). But we all pay to play, so it's ok

Old 01-18-2005, 08:11 PM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
Originally posted by RobynC
What's the matter Kirby, can't you launch your car yourself? Well, I guess since you got a chicktronic...it's quite fitting that you get your *** delivered to you on a plate BY a chick....

....IT'S ON BIAATTCHHH!!

Disclaimer: I don't happen to believe there is anything wrong with Tiptronics...except in Kirbys case.
It's ok Robyn, my car is GIRLY

Old 01-18-2005, 08:35 PM
Itzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond repute
I am speechless, I have no comebacks, we'll have to wait and see on the 1/4 mile with you, Collin and myself...but I think I will be the slowest =(

But damn this thread is fun...

Hmm, hey Alex, I might have to get my Top Secret 9sec. car project going...

Last edited by Itzkirb; 01-18-2005 at 08:42 PM.
Old 01-18-2005, 08:52 PM
Ken
Ken is a jewel in the roughKen is a jewel in the roughKen is a jewel in the roughKen is a jewel in the rough
Ask Conan - he'll know

Old 01-18-2005, 09:34 PM
Porsche Chick
RobynC is infamous around these partsRobynC is infamous around these parts
Originally posted by Ken
Ask Conan - he'll know
??

Old 01-18-2005, 09:47 PM
oalvarez is infamous around these parts
Robyn, please tell me that you're not going to spend $10k on a supercharger just to get even with Kirby? a watch is a beautiful thing, something that you'll be able to appreciate every time you see it, a super=charger is so far from what we're talking about that i can't even make the distinction. but, then again, if you're needing to keep up with all of your pals on the board, the supercharger is probably a must, as many of them may not know how to appreciate a fine piece of jewelry. as for the tiptronic, christ almighty, i'm not sure how anyone could possibly own one.....do Porsche cars really come with such?!?!?

have fun

Old 01-18-2005, 09:52 PM
Zippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond repute
Robyn.... YOU WILL LOVE IT!

To have a SIGNIFICANT surge of power available at your every whim is a very, very, very fulfilling feeling. To be Master of the Road, King of the Hill... it truly brings you closer to GOD. And that's what life's all about, isn't it?

Mike

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: To supercharge or not to supercharge...that is the question..