996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

To supercharge or not to supercharge...that is the question..

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-18-2005, 09:56 PM
You're SO MONEY, baby!
Super D Is a GOD !Super D Is a GOD !Super D Is a GOD !Super D Is a GOD !Super D Is a GOD !Super D Is a GOD !Super D Is a GOD !Super D Is a GOD !Super D Is a GOD !Super D Is a GOD !Super D Is a GOD !
Has anyone taken 996 SC'd motors through testing to benchmark the limits and isolate what fails? This is an interesting and important point. It'd be pretty important to know approximately when an engine will fail, under what circumstances and which parts are subject to the failures. Otherwise everyone using one would be a rolling, test subject, yes? If thorough testing is done, it should lead to a better product, and more complete upgrade packages that may include swapping of certain parts that need a more robust replacement. One of the earlier posts states that Porsche actually did this SC testing years ago, so with their resources, I'd think that data would be good for tuners to review, but it must be inaccessible unless someone from Porsche makes off with it on their last day of work!

Robyn, as for watches, not that you'll get into buying and selling necessarily, but Rolex, Cartier and Patek have outstanding resale value versus most others. Patek due to rarity and quality, Rolex and Cartier due to marketing mostly (they're not bad, but in the watch world, they're not the best either). If you get a chance, go to the Tourneau store in the LV Caesar's shopping mall, it's the largest watch store in the world and just opened recently. You'll see watches there you've never seen or heard of, and there are some very beautiful time pieces out there. If it's for style, at least give yourself the opportunity to view quite a few styles before just going with one of the few you've seen in your area. If it's for true watch craftsmanship, then you've got some fun research ahead which includes looking at some real works of art and talking to experts that can tell you some history and technology behind the watches. Porsche has a rich history that started with a passionate person, and all of the watch brands do as well. It's a terrific hobby to dive into. And, when you do go to a big high end watch store like Tourneau in LV, look at some of the watches in the IWC section and some in the back of the store that have guys in suits looming about. You'll see some watches that cost as much as a 996TT and higher!

Have fun whatever you decide. If you're a little scared of the SC, think about spending $2.5k on racing school, $1.5k on some used OE wheels w/race tires for the track, and the remaining $6k on a fantastic watch! Or...spend $4k on a nice watch and then you still have $2k for the garage with built-in cabinets (okay, maybe that's Home Depot pricing, but still, at least it'll be done). Hey, we may've balanced the budget here...

Last edited by Super D; 01-18-2005 at 10:05 PM.
Old 01-18-2005, 09:57 PM
Porsche Chick
RobynC is infamous around these partsRobynC is infamous around these parts
Originally posted by oalvarez
Robyn, please tell me that you're not going to spend $10k on a supercharger just to get even with Kirby? a watch is a beautiful thing, something that you'll be able to appreciate every time you see it, a super=charger is so far from what we're talking about that i can't even make the distinction. but, then again, if you're needing to keep up with all of your pals on the board, the supercharger is probably a must, as many of them may not know how to appreciate a fine piece of jewelry. as for the tiptronic, christ almighty, i'm not sure how anyone could possibly own one.....do Porsche cars really come with such?!?!?

have fun
Goodness no, Kirby and I enjoy giving one another a hard time. I spoke with him prior to his post and told him I was going forward with the supercharger. We were just playin'. I don't do anything to keep up with the Jones'...or the Fong's for that matter. As I am sure you have been able to tell with my list of mods, I do my own thing. Kirby and I just enjoy razzin' one another. I'm doing the SC because I want to, the garage is already an inch away from being done...and I never deny myself clothes or shoes...regardless of SC. I'm a girl for heaven's sake. I think my biggest concern was my motor...it'll all work out.

I'll keep my ghetto little Tag...enjoy my SC and have a ton of fun. Hell, I might just get the Rolex later on too.

PS Life is too short...I'm not going to deny myself something if I am able to achieve/get/obtain/earn it. The consequences are not all that grave and I have two great companies backing me up. (Akkurat and EVOMS)

Last edited by RobynC; 01-18-2005 at 10:00 PM.
Old 01-18-2005, 10:02 PM
dpblessing is infamous around these parts
pleeeese also get the Rolex (when you can)

Old 01-18-2005, 10:06 PM
Itzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond repute
Shhh, I'm trying to think of the next thing I can bug Robyn about? Now that I can't bug about the SC, what's next?

Crap.

Old 01-18-2005, 10:16 PM
collin996tt is infamous around these parts
Originally posted by Itzkirb
Shhh, I'm trying to think of the next thing I can bug Robyn about? Now that I can't bug about the SC, what's next?

Crap.
Widebody and wider wheels. I keep telling ya.

Old 01-18-2005, 10:19 PM
Originally posted by RobynC
I'm doing the SC because I want to. I'm not going to deny myself something if I am able to achieve/get/obtain/earn it.
Right On, girl. And that's the motto to live by.

Old 01-18-2005, 10:52 PM
1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future
<<<<Has anyone taken 996 SC'd motors through testing to benchmark the limits and isolate what fails? This is an interesting and important point. It'd be pretty important to know approximately when an engine will fail, under what circumstances and which parts are subject to the failures. >>>>

I'll run out tomorrow and take my $80,000 car and redline it all day with the SC and report back when it fails. Are you drinking tonight?

Old 01-18-2005, 11:19 PM
02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally posted by GoWide
Someone I know ran 2 bar through his engine for 2 days, and his leak down tests are so bad it's laughable.
well if that is on a stock motor running 30lbs of boost on a stock motor will break it in 2 days.. and even if that motor is built was or is teh car properly tuned?

Old 01-18-2005, 11:25 PM
You're SO MONEY, baby!
Super D Is a GOD !Super D Is a GOD !Super D Is a GOD !Super D Is a GOD !Super D Is a GOD !Super D Is a GOD !Super D Is a GOD !Super D Is a GOD !Super D Is a GOD !Super D Is a GOD !Super D Is a GOD !
Originally posted by 1999Porsche911
<<<<Has anyone taken 996 SC'd motors through testing to benchmark the limits and isolate what fails? This is an interesting and important point. It'd be pretty important to know approximately when an engine will fail, under what circumstances and which parts are subject to the failures. >>>>

I'll run out tomorrow and take my $80,000 car and redline it all day with the SC and report back when it fails. Are you drinking tonight?
Sorry if I wasn't clear, I was asking if any manufacturers/tuners tested the SC'd motors and delineated the limits and failure parameters; I assumed that was understood and it wasn't, my bad.

Last edited by Super D; 01-18-2005 at 11:30 PM.
Old 01-18-2005, 11:25 PM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
Originally posted by RobynC
Goodness no, Kirby and I enjoy giving one another a hard time. I spoke with him prior to his post and told him I was going forward with the supercharger. We were just playin'. I don't do anything to keep up with the Jones'...or the Fong's for that matter. As I am sure you have been able to tell with my list of mods, I do my own thing. Kirby and I just enjoy razzin' one another. I'm doing the SC because I want to, the garage is already an inch away from being done...and I never deny myself clothes or shoes...regardless of SC. I'm a girl for heaven's sake. I think my biggest concern was my motor...it'll all work out.

I'll keep my ghetto little Tag...enjoy my SC and have a ton of fun. Hell, I might just get the Rolex later on too.

PS Life is too short...I'm not going to deny myself something if I am able to achieve/get/obtain/earn it. The consequences are not all that grave and I have two great companies backing me up. (Akkurat and EVOMS)
First my car is slow cos it's a Tip and now you're saying Tag's are ghetto (and I used to like mine). Darn I feel all violated now... I'm gonna cry

PS Once it's done I bet you're gonna love it. Plus you _do_ drive your car hard and fast like a Porsche should be driven so you'll get the most out of it. And when we do go to the track next you and Kirby and do synchonized skidding....

Old 01-18-2005, 11:31 PM
Originally posted by sharkster
And when we do go to the track next you and Kirby "can" do synchronized skidding....
wow. i like to see that. two fast and furious SC C2s. awesome. sooo rice.

Old 01-18-2005, 11:43 PM
Porsche Chick
RobynC is infamous around these partsRobynC is infamous around these parts
Originally posted by sharkster
First my car is slow cos it's a Tip and now you're saying Tag's are ghetto (and I used to like mine). Darn I feel all violated now... I'm gonna cry

PS Once it's done I bet you're gonna love it. Plus you _do_ drive your car hard and fast like a Porsche should be driven so you'll get the most out of it. And when we do go to the track next you and Kirby and do synchonized skidding....
My Tag comment was spoken tongue in cheek, I love my Tag very much...it's beautifully understated, useful...with a bit of bling.

And your tip my friend...is a screamer!! I personally envy the power! Kirby on the other hand...well...'nuff said!

I do drive my car hard, just like it's meant to be...synchronized skids...that's just wrong...just so darned wrong!

Old 01-18-2005, 11:57 PM
Itzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond repute
My feelings are hurt....

Old 01-19-2005, 12:01 AM
Originally posted by Itzkirb
My feelings are hurt....
Now you know how yellowbmr feels. You guys should give each other brotherly love.

Old 01-19-2005, 08:29 AM
Just-n-a996 is infamous around these parts
Robyn...Do it!! That beauty of yours will not only have mean looks, mean sound, but mean 0-100 times to back it up! Just put a little Royal Purple synthetic motor oil in it, and change the stuff every 4.5k miles, and that car will be fine. They put RP in dragsters...talk about "forced induction!" That synthetic is AMAZING!! My company reps the industrial line of
RP's lubricants....and I can tell you that that stuff IS for REAL!!! I have seen all of the tests.

BTW...Breitling, I agree, is a FAR better watch!!

Sharky...Great to meet you guys over there. Project is moving forward. Received the Misha wing last week, will have pics and updates soon to follow

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: To supercharge or not to supercharge...that is the question..