996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

To supercharge or not to supercharge...that is the question..

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-18-2005, 12:36 PM
Porsche Chick
RobynC is infamous around these partsRobynC is infamous around these parts
To supercharge or not to supercharge...that is the question..

Ug!! Second thoughts...I'm at this impasse. I have no idea WHY I am supercharging my car...except to just do it! No other reason. I will track the car, but not more than about 4 times a year. So, it's just power applied to the street...and to be able to say my car is fast, no really, it's fast. Yes, it's faster than a stock turbo and I've not spent the money of one. That is a cool benefit. Ug...I'm just so torn. Shoes, new clothes, finish the garage...or supercharger. Of course, Saturday, I stopped in at jewlery store...they had the pink Rolex I want. Rolex...SC...Rolex...SC!?!?!

Old 01-18-2005, 12:41 PM
fdb996c2 is infamous around these partsfdb996c2 is infamous around these parts
Having just received a massive infusion of horsepower and torque, I can say without hesitiation that I'd take it over a new watch any day.

Old 01-18-2005, 12:54 PM
dpblessing is infamous around these parts
to keep up with the fongs?

Old 01-18-2005, 12:55 PM
Porsche Chick
Originally posted by dpblessing
to keep up with the fongs?
Come on Doug...think hard about that comment.

Old 01-18-2005, 01:12 PM
Originally posted by RobynC
Come on Doug...think hard about that comment.
I wuz just playing witcha...
really.
I know that your car is twice as fast and at least three times as nice as that pos peddlecar kirby poses next to at the drive-in.

Old 01-18-2005, 01:20 PM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
Originally posted by dpblessing
I wuz just playing witcha...
really.
I know that your car is twice as fast and at least three times as nice as that pos peddlecar kirby poses next to at the drive-in.

Hey that's no way to talk about his Honda... If only you guys knew how hard that launches!

Old 01-18-2005, 01:30 PM
Bobby G is infamous around these parts
Robyn,

I don't have a SC so take this as you will, but if you aren't yearning for more speed and don't find yourself needing more speed (i.e. tracking or racing), AND you have some doubt AND you have other nice things you could reward yourself with the money spent on the SC ... then I think you have made your decision. Also there's an issue with the SC not being CARB certified, right? And then there are the longevity issues. Finally, how long do you want to keep your 996?

You'll have your Rolex for years, your garage may add value to your home, and clothes, well, clothes make you look good.

Good luck!

-Bobby

Old 01-18-2005, 01:37 PM
Itzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond repute
I say....

DO IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 01-18-2005, 01:48 PM
GO 6SPEED!
DEETZ is infamous around these parts
DO IT so you can own Kirby in the track! good luck Robyn!!

Old 01-18-2005, 02:11 PM
msindi is infamous around these parts
I think it depends on
a) if you intend to keep this car (with the 997 out and all), and
b) how long you intend to keep it for...
Obviously, if you foresee a new ride in the not too distant future I say save the money...
Modding and keeping up with fellow forum members is cool and all but come time to sell you will incur n even bigger loss than on stock cars even if you part it out
my 2 cents

Old 01-18-2005, 02:24 PM
oalvarez is infamous around these parts
must agree with Bobby/MSindi.....how long do you intend to keep the car? hec, if i knew i was going to sell my 996 after only 7 mo. of ownership, i would have NEVER put the kind of money into the car that i did. secondly, i'm not sure the number of times you track the car is important, but more-so what kind of value you place on being able to go much faster than you already can. are you not happy with the speed of your car at the present time? you have a relative value decision to make; given that you already own the car (and what a fantastic car it is) and DO NOT own a Rolex (you may, but tough for me to tell) and have a functioning garage, I think that you will be happier with the new watch. as for the garage, if you feel like it will add that much more value to your home (sounds like all you'd be doing is renovating/shelves/cabinetry) then it too should be given some serious consideration.

I vote for the watch, you will love owning a Rolex and wearing one. I should know, I wore one for 15 years before it was stolen from our house (most all of our jewelry including my wife's wedding ring) Christmas of 2003.

have fun!!

Old 01-18-2005, 02:34 PM
I wonder if it would make a difference to anyone's response if the shop already had your special order / pre-paid SC AND you car there right now waiting to do the install that has been scheduled for weeks?

Last edited by dpblessing; 01-18-2005 at 02:40 PM.
Old 01-18-2005, 02:42 PM
newport996 is infamous around these partsnewport996 is infamous around these parts
Robyn, To me it would be a no. Sometimes, but VERY rarely do I want more HP. I am a big fan of mods, but not a big fan of engine mods, why? Well because of catastrophic engine failure. It may be rare, but the extra force and pressure exerted on my 996 engine MUST take some toll on the longevity. In fact, the Porsche dealer told me the X50 power kits actually reduce the engine life of the car. This while trying to sell me a 996 with the power kit. So, unless you are prepared to fork out for a new engine because a SC will void your warranty, then I would say don't do it. Were there not a few blown Boxster engines on PPBB with SC's? You know the 996 Turbos are coming down in price, maybe a Turbo is in your future? it may be in mine!!!!

Old 01-18-2005, 02:50 PM
HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !
w/o a doubt i'd do it

Old 01-18-2005, 02:50 PM
Porsche Chick
I've had my car for a year and a half. I've spent to date, more than $15k on my car...so any thought there would be to upgrade is out of the question (I'm not willing to lose that). I do not consider my Porsche an investment, that would be difficult a thing to do (Or painful) since they really aren't in the current market or future for that matter.

But, with that said, I'm also not willing to take the hit on it's decreased value should I trade it in. Plus, I've had an accident in it, which will make it even less, albeit cosmetic. The car just really isn't worth all that much. Spending 10k to improve the performance is a great idea to make me feel better about it and kick Kirby's butt . I do plan on keeping this car. At least for the next three years.

I appreciate everyones comments...I'm still on the fence...but leaning a bit more in one direction now.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: To supercharge or not to supercharge...that is the question..