996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Misfire cylinder 2 p0302 code should I drive?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-05-2010, 08:03 PM
sounddominic is infamous around these parts
Misfire cylinder 2 p0302 code should I drive?

Soooo frustrating first my car was using way too much coolant now I have a misfire cylinder 2 code on my 99 996. Should I drive it or leve it parked, I was driving up a hill all the sudden car started actin like it was deprived of gas stuttering and underpowered, any suggestions? Anyone with the same problem? Is it going to be crazy expensive??

Old 06-05-2010, 08:07 PM
gu9cci has a reputation beyond reputegu9cci has a reputation beyond reputegu9cci has a reputation beyond reputegu9cci has a reputation beyond reputegu9cci has a reputation beyond reputegu9cci has a reputation beyond reputegu9cci has a reputation beyond reputegu9cci has a reputation beyond reputegu9cci has a reputation beyond reputegu9cci has a reputation beyond reputegu9cci has a reputation beyond repute
look like coilpacks.That what happend to me...when you change the coilpacks last time?..

Old 06-05-2010, 08:41 PM
sounddominic is infamous around these parts
But the coil packs wouldn't cause the car to over heat right? Would it more likely be the head gasket blown leaking coolant into that cylinder, which is making cyl 2 not ignite?

Old 06-05-2010, 08:46 PM
gu9cci has a reputation beyond reputegu9cci has a reputation beyond reputegu9cci has a reputation beyond reputegu9cci has a reputation beyond reputegu9cci has a reputation beyond reputegu9cci has a reputation beyond reputegu9cci has a reputation beyond reputegu9cci has a reputation beyond reputegu9cci has a reputation beyond reputegu9cci has a reputation beyond reputegu9cci has a reputation beyond repute
i dont know your car overheated...anyhow...best way and cheapest is to diagnose the car thru piwis or other and see what will hapend

Old 03-28-2011, 12:42 AM
msalamza is infamous around these parts
Hey guys, I have some problems with my 2001 c4 and was wondering if anyone could help. I did some tests at porsche and they said cylinder 1 is misfiring due to coolant/moisture in the cylinder. The car also uses up too much coolant like sounddominic. The engine light flashes on startup and stays on after that. There is no oil in the coolant tank, but i think there might be coolant/moisture in the oil because i drained it the other day and it was thick and very black, i couldnt drain all the oil because it was so thick. Anyone know what is wrong with my car?

Old 03-28-2011, 02:40 PM
Voodoo08 is infamous around these parts
both of you sound like you have head gasket issues. A little coolant in the cylinder could put out your spark, but there may not be enought getting in there to drop to the oil pan. If its a small leak it will evaporate before it gets to the pan. The best way to check for a head gasket leak is to do a coolant system pressure check to see if your getting exhaust gases in the system. If your car overheats and you are getting cylinder misfires due to coolant/water than you most likely have a bad or going bad head gasket

Old 03-28-2011, 04:30 PM
rb101 is a splendid one to beholdrb101 is a splendid one to beholdrb101 is a splendid one to beholdrb101 is a splendid one to beholdrb101 is a splendid one to beholdrb101 is a splendid one to beholdrb101 is a splendid one to behold
The head gaskets rarely ever fail on these engines. I hate to say it, but I think you have a cracked cylinder or head.

Old 03-28-2011, 06:41 PM
Cracked head?

I thunk you are right voodoo. If I had a cracked head or cracked cylinder wouldn't there be contamination in the coolant tank? But there might be coolant in the oil because it was very thick. My car still run ok but just not as fast. Cylinder 1 and 5 misfire on startup. Porsche said the was moisture/coolant residue in cylinder 1. There is also slot of white smoke on cold startups. Are these signs of a cracked head? Or cracked cylinder? Or blOwn head gasket?

Old 03-28-2011, 09:27 PM
Voodoo08 is infamous around these parts
if you had a cracked cylinder, theres agood chance you would lose compression and it would not run fine.

It could be one of the other two as the symptoms would be about the same. Although a crakced head you would most likey get noticable oil in the coolant and vice versa. Coolant in your oil wouldnt make it thick it would actually thin it out and give it a milky look. since your not seeing any real fluid transer i would still believe you have a leaky head gasket as opposed to a cracked head. Unfortunately the only way to tell if you have one or the other is to pull it apart and inspect the head.

Old 03-28-2011, 11:58 PM
Cracked head?

Thanks For the reply voodoo. I dont think it's. Cracked head. And I should be more specific. Te car runs fine but not as good as it used to. The car is tiptronic and I keep it at very low rpms (always under 3000). I don't want to drive it hard and risk blowing the engine. I stopped driving it completely though. But cylinder 1 and 5 misfire and it drove rough. Could this mean cracked cylinder lining? I hope not. That would be the worst case scenario

Old 03-29-2011, 12:41 AM
tonka858 has much to be proud oftonka858 has much to be proud oftonka858 has much to be proud oftonka858 has much to be proud oftonka858 has much to be proud oftonka858 has much to be proud oftonka858 has much to be proud oftonka858 has much to be proud oftonka858 has much to be proud oftonka858 has much to be proud of
If you oil was thick like a milk shake you defiantly got coolant going into your oil.
take off the oil filler cap look at that you may see moisture there.
I would not drive it.that thick oil can not lubricate your engine and you could smoke your
crank bearings and it can just keep getting worse from there.
in California this problem is covered by the emission warranty 7 years of 70k miles..
Its rare you would ever get oil into the coolant.

Old 03-29-2011, 03:23 AM
The oil was thick to the point where I couldn't get it all drained out. But it was black nit brown. The weather here us extremely cold. Could that be what's making the oil thick ?

Old 05-22-2011, 05:40 AM
I am going to drop the engine tomorrow. The way i see it, I have coolant in cylinder, which is causing cylinders 1,2,3 to misfire. but no oil in the coolant tank. so i believe this is a bad head gasket But I have one last concern, When drained the oil last it was very thick and black. But could this have been because the car was sitting in the garage for 2 years without having an oil change? also it was winter and extremely cold when i drained the oil. The reason why i ask this question is because it will determine whether i have a cracked head or a blown head gasket.