996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Performance Mod Opinions Sought!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-29-2010, 01:05 AM
Dervish is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Grant P
I spent 2k on mine, i got it chipped, they modified the stock exhaust (plasma cut open the exhaust), and i got a K&N filter and i notice a BIG different its way quicker, sounds more manly, i went to Speed Gallery in Studio City
That will be the butt dyno, it's louder so it must be faster...

Old 07-29-2010, 01:48 PM
wyo996 is infamous around these parts
This has been said so many times, but still true. Only forced induction will make any significant differance in these cars. I know from painfull experience. I love my car, will likely always keep it. It is a near daily driver and what I usually chose in the dead of winter with my snow tires. I have to reset the CEL every 500 to 1000 mi due to the SC and once placed an automatic CEL adaptor that stays on the OBD II port all the time. I realized it cancelled all the ECU programing for the SC to stock. What a dog. I forgot how slow these cars were stock. Needless to say I took it off and settled with manually resetting the CEL once in a while. There is no differance in performance with the CEL on but it just bugs me. Go for it. Will

Old 07-29-2010, 02:18 PM
Redridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by wyo996
This has been said so many times, but still true. Only forced induction will make any significant differance in these cars. I know from painfull experience. I love my car, will likely always keep it. It is a near daily driver and what I usually chose in the dead of winter with my snow tires. I have to reset the CEL every 500 to 1000 mi due to the SC and once placed an automatic CEL adaptor that stays on the OBD II port all the time. I realized it cancelled all the ECU programing for the SC to stock. What a dog. I forgot how slow these cars were stock. Needless to say I took it off and settled with manually resetting the CEL once in a while. There is no differance in performance with the CEL on but it just bugs me. Go for it. Will

what code are you resetting?.... cat codes?

Old 07-29-2010, 03:30 PM
wyo996 is infamous around these parts
Yes, usually PO420, but has been Idle codes eg PO503, PO504, PO505. I have heard that C4S models 2002 up have more idle problems. Will

Old 07-29-2010, 04:50 PM
Former Vendor
ModBargains II is a splendid one to beholdModBargains II is a splendid one to beholdModBargains II is a splendid one to beholdModBargains II is a splendid one to beholdModBargains II is a splendid one to beholdModBargains II is a splendid one to beholdModBargains II is a splendid one to beholdModBargains II is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Sosoomi1
I have pretty much decided to spend a few dollars on mods... and I am thinking *GO not Show*... specifically thinking about flashing the ECU and an intake.

Wondering if anyone has done this.... recommendations for vendor's and finally.... is there really any performance enhancement anywhere close to the advertised results?

Sos
02 C4S, PSE, 6Speed....

Well....when you're ready to tackle on a few "go" mods, ModBargains has your solutions!

With the C4S, you're most likely going to feel the most gains by going to a high-flow Sport Cat setup and the ECU reflash will keep everything in check to make sure you're getting enough fuel since your car will be breathing much better!

I recommend you check out the Fabspeed Performance Package with the ECU Upgrade to get a nice power bump for your car! It includes pretty much everything on your list that you're trying to tackle.

If you have any questions, please feel free to shoot over a PM! Looking forward to helping you out!

Old 07-29-2010, 05:10 PM
Former Vendor
Wheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by geetee
Are you serious? It can't be that bad...
We've installed a set in the past, DRONE!!! Shake, rattle and roll....

Inspecting the muffler looked like two cherry-bombs welded in SS for $1,000

No thank you!

SEE FOR YOURSELF

Last edited by Wheel Dynamics; 07-29-2010 at 05:47 PM.
Old 07-30-2010, 06:46 AM
ls911 has a spectacular aura aboutls911 has a spectacular aura aboutls911 has a spectacular aura about
Clear side markers and quality after market mufflers. It has to be faster, got a ticket to prove it

Old 07-30-2010, 09:08 AM
Redridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by wyo996
+1

Old 07-30-2010, 10:10 PM
Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Airrik
Unless you upgrade to a 997 airbox system which I am thinking about doing more air should help when you combine those other mods. Don't forget the throttle booster for $300 this helps much stronger throttle sensitivity to the gas pedal.
Why would you use the throttle booster if your flashing the car?

Old 07-30-2010, 10:29 PM
Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !
I had a 02' C2 3.6 with all the mods, full exhaust, lwfw, evoms air box, evoms flash, rss plenum. With all that it made 295 rwhp! fun as all hell to drive. it was quick but as said by others supercharge it! if your pockets can take it. My friends car made 425 rwhp 0n a 3.6 motor running the lower boost pulley on 93 oct. gas... Bottom line parts alone were $7500 without install. I think my buddy paid 11 or 12,000K. Miss that car also had brembos on all4 bbs lm's pss9's ssk and twined the exhaust in before it was the flavor of the day....

Old 08-01-2010, 01:01 AM
fourempties has a reputation beyond reputefourempties has a reputation beyond reputefourempties has a reputation beyond reputefourempties has a reputation beyond reputefourempties has a reputation beyond reputefourempties has a reputation beyond reputefourempties has a reputation beyond reputefourempties has a reputation beyond reputefourempties has a reputation beyond reputefourempties has a reputation beyond reputefourempties has a reputation beyond repute
Take off the ankle weights. Easy and relatively cheap. Zoom zoom.

Old 08-01-2010, 08:36 AM
Airrik is infamous around these partsAirrik is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by fourempties
Take off the ankle weights. Easy and relatively cheap. Zoom zoom.

What ankle weights? What part are you referring to?
As for reflashing the ECU, this only maps the computer at certain RPM's for adjusting the car to run rich or lean also adjusts for the advancing the timing. With the Sprintbooster it changes the throttle response drastically at all RPM's! Plus I heard nothing but good things about this cheap mod. Excellent mod for the money, gives you the strong pull in your pants feeling.

Old 08-01-2010, 10:37 AM
fourempties has a reputation beyond reputefourempties has a reputation beyond reputefourempties has a reputation beyond reputefourempties has a reputation beyond reputefourempties has a reputation beyond reputefourempties has a reputation beyond reputefourempties has a reputation beyond reputefourempties has a reputation beyond reputefourempties has a reputation beyond reputefourempties has a reputation beyond reputefourempties has a reputation beyond repute
Heavy wheels.

Old 08-08-2010, 04:17 PM
SF996 is infamous around these parts
I don't think I've seen anyone ask this yet....What is your budget?

The ECU upgrade is pretty expensive considering the results. CAI is definitely advised and you can get a K&N for just over $300 and do the install yourself. Other than that, getting substantial power out of the car will require forced induction.

When I needed to replace my clutch, I replaced it with a SPEC stage 2 and a AASCO LW Flywheel which really improved the "bite" of the clutch and throttle response since the flywheel is half the weight of the OEM. Lighter wheels will certainly help but are also quite expensive and you'd probably want to change the sizes from what you currently have so you'll need to replace all of the tires as well.

Since you have the PSE, you probably wouldn't see a huge change by replacing the exhaust unless you went with some new headers (also pretty spendy). For the track, you def should upgrade the suspension with some coilovers like some PSS9-10 or KW variant 3's. These 2 options are great because they are adjustable so you can dial in your setup.

Old 08-09-2010, 10:35 AM
Former Vendor
Wheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Airrik
What ankle weights? What part are you referring to?
As for reflashing the ECU, this only maps the computer at certain RPM's for adjusting the car to run rich or lean also adjusts for the advancing the timing. With the Sprintbooster it changes the throttle response drastically at all RPM's! Plus I heard nothing but good things about this cheap mod. Excellent mod for the money, gives you the strong pull in your pants feeling.
https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...ed-finish.html

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Performance Mod Opinions Sought!