996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Performance Mod Opinions Sought!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-09-2010, 09:20 AM
Sosoomi1 is a jewel in the roughSosoomi1 is a jewel in the roughSosoomi1 is a jewel in the rough
Performance Mod Opinions Sought!

I have pretty much decided to spend a few dollars on mods... and I am thinking *GO not Show*... specifically thinking about flashing the ECU and an intake.

Wondering if anyone has done this.... recommendations for vendor's and finally.... is there really any performance enhancement anywhere close to the advertised results?

Sos
02 C4S, PSE, 6Speed....

Old 06-09-2010, 10:23 AM
Brando has much to be proud ofBrando has much to be proud ofBrando has much to be proud ofBrando has much to be proud ofBrando has much to be proud ofBrando has much to be proud ofBrando has much to be proud ofBrando has much to be proud of
Thumbs up

My car had most of the mods already done when I bought it from the orig owner, so I can't tel you how much of a difference they made from stock.

I can tell you my car is pretty quick.....

It has: Suncoast headers, 200 cell cats, Evoms intake, Evoms ecu reflash, and Afterhours exhaust system.

I think the biggest gains come from the cats and the reflash.

I really want the IPD plenum.

I worked on the handleing and added H&R adjustable sways, TRG down links and JIC Cross coilovers with Champion RG5 wheels.

But I think the best mod I have done to date, is the GT3 center console delete! My right leg is happy.
Good luck.

Last edited by Brando; 06-09-2010 at 10:29 AM.
Old 06-09-2010, 10:40 AM
geetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant future
10hp at the wheels additional maybe? Not sure if you can really feel that though...it'll change the sound a little...the software should improve throttle response a little....is the the 1.5k worth it?...only you will know...
software wise....popular ones are softronic and EVOMS...there are a few other less populare ones also
intake wise....fabspeed, EVOMS, K&N along with a few other ones.

OT how does the Afterhours mufflers sound with the 200 cell cats? Louder? Higher pitched?

Old 06-09-2010, 02:46 PM
02C4S is infamous around these parts
I had the IPD intake plenum put on and it made a nice difference at the higher RPM. It starts to really make a difference in 3rd and 4th gear. It also added a nice intake howl as well at WOT. I also have the PSE. In my opinion all of the mods really need to be mixed with an afte rmaket exhaust to really work. I think the ECU and Intake are limited by the stock exhaust. All three at once will be felt for sure.

Old 06-09-2010, 07:17 PM
balefire is just really nicebalefire is just really nicebalefire is just really nicebalefire is just really nice
The fabspeed exhaust and the afterhours exhaust are both less restrictive (e.g. more hp power, less torque) and lighter weight than stock or PSE. Afterhours is lighter than fabspeed, but louder. The reduced weight in the rear may also help the notoriously understeering car rotate a bit better.

A cold air intake voids most warranties since they often mess up the MAF.

Old 06-09-2010, 08:38 PM
himself is a jewel in the roughhimself is a jewel in the roughhimself is a jewel in the rough
I agree with go .... to the track!

-td

Old 06-09-2010, 08:39 PM
Airrik is infamous around these partsAirrik is infamous around these parts
Unless you upgrade to a 997 airbox system which I am thinking about doing more air should help when you combine those other mods. Don't forget the throttle booster for $300 this helps much stronger throttle sensitivity to the gas pedal.

Old 07-28-2010, 12:32 AM
Former Vendor
Wheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by geetee

OT how does the Afterhours mufflers sound with the 200 cell cats? Louder? Higher pitched?
Like this:

Old 07-28-2010, 03:59 AM
Dervish is infamous around these parts
Forget all the add on engine stuff, invest in good suspension, a focused alignment and track time, that will make you alot more 'Go' than plenums, headers, intakes, remaps etc...

Old 07-28-2010, 06:23 AM
DeskJob1 is infamous around these parts
Cool Agree with Dervish~

Originally Posted by Dervish
Forget all the add on engine stuff, invest in good suspension, a focused alignment and track time, that will make you alot more 'Go' than plenums, headers, intakes, remaps etc...
Plus one +

You can also read up on improving your skills. A lot of good books out there.

If you still want stop light to green light trill - TPC Single Turbo may be the biggest bang for the buck...

Have fun...

Old 07-28-2010, 06:27 AM
GREERJ1 is infamous around these parts
+1 on Dervish, As good a suspension you can afford and daily drive with. Center radiator if you track and something fore the low oil pressure encountered on the track as well. I have done the ROW M030 suspension. Will be adding the 3rd radiator and an Accusump for the oil issue. Then I will go with sticky tires and be even faster through the turns and subsequently, faster in the straights. Learn how to drive you car first, then add the power. I am hardly a seasoned track junkie, been doing it for 4 years now, maybe 15 days total. These cars, when properly driven can keep up with a lot of other higher powered cars. Remember, the biggest variable is the guy behind the wheel. That is what my instructors have all said to me. Oh, and more gas too.
James Greer

Old 07-28-2010, 06:48 AM
geetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by Wheel Dynamics
Like this:

Are you serious? It can't be that bad...

Old 07-28-2010, 09:09 AM
JB Lifeguard Is a GOD !JB Lifeguard Is a GOD !JB Lifeguard Is a GOD !JB Lifeguard Is a GOD !JB Lifeguard Is a GOD !JB Lifeguard Is a GOD !JB Lifeguard Is a GOD !JB Lifeguard Is a GOD !JB Lifeguard Is a GOD !JB Lifeguard Is a GOD !JB Lifeguard Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Brando

But I think the best mod I have done to date, is the GT3 center console delete! My right leg is happy.
Good luck.
+1 on this!!!

also, if go you want, go after the stock suspension. Kinda hard to go when you are leaning hard. I got PSS9 set and lowered the car 1". made a great difference.

JB

Old 07-28-2010, 05:58 PM
fourempties has a reputation beyond reputefourempties has a reputation beyond reputefourempties has a reputation beyond reputefourempties has a reputation beyond reputefourempties has a reputation beyond reputefourempties has a reputation beyond reputefourempties has a reputation beyond reputefourempties has a reputation beyond reputefourempties has a reputation beyond reputefourempties has a reputation beyond reputefourempties has a reputation beyond repute
Many many thousands of dollars have been spent on "performance" mods for the NA 996 for very little return. I know it has been said before, but the only real performance gain you will truly feel is a lighter set of wheels.

Old 07-28-2010, 06:05 PM
Grant P is a glorious beacon of lightGrant P is a glorious beacon of lightGrant P is a glorious beacon of lightGrant P is a glorious beacon of lightGrant P is a glorious beacon of lightGrant P is a glorious beacon of light
I spent 2k on mine, i got it chipped, they modified the stock exhaust (plasma cut open the exhaust), and i got a K&N filter and i notice a BIG different its way quicker, sounds more manly, i went to Speed Gallery in Studio City

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Performance Mod Opinions Sought!