996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

butt shot - what a difference

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-22-2010, 04:43 PM
jr1966 is just really nicejr1966 is just really nicejr1966 is just really nicejr1966 is just really nicejr1966 is just really nice
Originally Posted by johnnyreb2010
could you tell me what color or shade & how they done it, did they use a clear, etc... probably lot cheaper than ordering 2 smoked taillights, i think they look awesome! is that the same thing you did with headlights, if so, how could headlights shine thru paint.
It is definitely cheaper to tint than ordering a pair of smoked taillights, but we went with those taillights due to their LEDs. Tinting should be the way to go if you want to darken the tails but prefer to stay with non-LEDs. Another option you could look into is the use of laminx films on both front and taillights. I have the smoked laminx on the taillights of my Lexus and they look pretty good, though, depending on the shape of the lenses, can be a PITA to install. The laminx for 996 headlights are easy to install (I currently have the clears but may switch them out to the tinted ones) but have no experience on the tails. My recommendation on the laminx is due to them being very easy to remove in the event you didn't like them.

Old 06-22-2010, 05:50 PM
johnnyreb2010 is infamous around these parts
taillight tint

Originally Posted by jr1966
It is definitely cheaper to tint than ordering a pair of smoked taillights, but we went with those taillights due to their LEDs. Tinting should be the way to go if you want to darken the tails but prefer to stay with non-LEDs. Another option you could look into is the use of laminx films on both front and taillights. I have the smoked laminx on the taillights of my Lexus and they look pretty good, though, depending on the shape of the lenses, can be a PITA to install. The laminx for 996 headlights are easy to install (I currently have the clears but may switch them out to the tinted ones) but have no experience on the tails. My recommendation on the laminx is due to them being very easy to remove in the event you didn't like them.
i've tried one & it didn't fit snug enough for me, it jus looked cheap, i'll check some more, when you painted them, what kind of paint or shade did you use, i've got to get them looking as good as yours, they look awesome, thx for all the info