996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Clutch Going bad

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-17-2010, 09:44 PM
aznpryd is infamous around these parts
Clutch Going bad

My clutch started to slip and been hearing to replace the rms seals when replacing the clutch. Does anybody have the part number? is it just one seal or is it a kit. Also how long does the stock flywheel last on a 996.

Old 06-18-2010, 08:21 AM
chsu74 is infamous around these parts
Call Suncoast for part #s. They are in your state with good prices. I would do a LN engineering IMS retrofit also. Its an additional $600 for the piece of mind that the engine will not explode.

Old 06-18-2010, 10:11 AM
What does an LN engineering ims retrofit do? first time ive heard of this. Is it a part i replace or do they just adjust some stuff.

Old 06-18-2010, 10:12 AM
Also is there any special tools needed to replace the clutch and the rms.

Old 06-18-2010, 02:00 PM
chsu74 is infamous around these parts
Old 06-22-2010, 03:39 AM
Fozzybear is a glorious beacon of lightFozzybear is a glorious beacon of lightFozzybear is a glorious beacon of lightFozzybear is a glorious beacon of lightFozzybear is a glorious beacon of light
The inner main shaft (IMS) bearing has a nasty habit of failing in these cars. This results in a catastrophic failure whereby the cheapest option is to replace your engine. (google 996 IMS failure)

LN Engineering, in conjunction with Flat 6 Innovations, have developed a replacement IMS bearing and a process to replace it that is suitable for a competent DIYer. If you upgrade the bearing your odds of avoiding this problem go up a lot.

The biggest challenge replacing the RMS is that there is no backstop for the seal, so it is possible to push it too far in (very bad!). There are spec's for several home-grown tools online designed to help you avoid this.

To replace the clutch you will need a tranny jack and a clutch alignment tool as well as the usual suspects of torque wrenches etc. A really good overview of the process can be found here:

http://www.c-speedracing.com/howto/996rms/rms1.php

Old 06-22-2010, 04:35 AM
GREERJ1 is infamous around these parts
I removed my tranny in the driveway and did the seal and clutch, had my indie switch out the IMS bearing. I used the same instructions. http://www.c-speedracing.com/howto/996rms/rms1.php

Good luck, you will need 2 feet of 1/2 inch extensions for your ratchet and a U-joint adapter as well. Very doable.
James Greer

Old 06-26-2010, 09:28 PM
Harmony Jim is infamous around these parts
Spend the money and replace the IMS bearing. For the $519 plus about 1 hour labor (when trans/clutch already out), it is money well spent. Don't waste your money and time on anything other than the LN Engineering kit which includes the IMS flange, and stud. The possible downside if your IMS bearing lets go is way too grim to live with.

Old 06-26-2010, 09:37 PM
iJeremy Is a GOD !iJeremy Is a GOD !iJeremy Is a GOD !iJeremy Is a GOD !iJeremy Is a GOD !iJeremy Is a GOD !iJeremy Is a GOD !iJeremy Is a GOD !iJeremy Is a GOD !iJeremy Is a GOD !iJeremy Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Harmony Jim
Spend the money and replace the IMS bearing. For the $519 plus about 1 hour labor (when trans/clutch already out), it is money well spent. Don't waste your money and time on anything other than the LN Engineering kit which includes the IMS flange, and stud. The possible downside if your IMS bearing lets go is way too grim to live with.
Good advice...And if sold/marketed to the right buyers chances are you'll get your money back at the tail-end of ownership as well. For those of you who hadn't heard of this upgrade previously I'm sure you would have been willing to pay a bit more when you purchased the car originally if it had already had this retro-fit done. It's a great selling point when/if you sell yours down the line. Money well spent all around.