996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

PSE HACK by FD Motorsports

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-18-2010, 02:41 PM
jax996 is infamous around these parts
PSE HACK by FD Motorsports

Hello everyone,

I just completed my first mod on my car and the addiction has set in.... I sent my mufflers to FD Motorsports (Darin Fister) and they did the PSE hack on my mufflers. All I can say is WOW! The engine now sounds throatier and raspier which makes an awesome combination. I will try to get a video up very soon. Since most mufflers (if not all) realize very little to no gain in power, this is by far the most cost effective mod out there. There's no resonance and the cabin stays fairly quiet.

Also, I have ordered the 997 GT3 shifter from Carnewal and should be arriving here on Monday. I will post pics of that as well.

Old 06-18-2010, 11:35 PM
Sosoomi1 is a jewel in the roughSosoomi1 is a jewel in the roughSosoomi1 is a jewel in the rough
What, pray tell, is **the PSE hack**?

Old 06-19-2010, 06:15 AM
chsu74 is infamous around these parts
+1.. Best bang for the buck mod next to B&M short shift.

Old 06-19-2010, 09:55 AM
Originally Posted by Sosoomi1
What, pray tell, is **the PSE hack**?
The "PSE Hack" is a mod done by some to mimick the more expensive PSE offered by porsche. Basically, Porsche achieves better sound from their mufflers by adding a partial bypass between the inflow and outflow pipes coming/going from the mufflers. Darin Fister at FD motorsports will add that same pipe with all stainless for about 12% the cost and 100% the sound.

The only difference is that the PSE comes with a valve that allows you to chose from "Stock" to "Louder" by switching a button (about 7 hours of install labor). The sound coming from the mufflers is perfect.

Old 06-19-2010, 10:11 AM
djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !
PSE still sounds nicer. I did the hack myself. $100 for the muffler shop to weld the pipes. I did the install myself. Worth doing but only achieves 80% of real PSE, switch or not.

Old 06-19-2010, 10:13 AM
Sosoomi1 is a jewel in the roughSosoomi1 is a jewel in the roughSosoomi1 is a jewel in the rough
OIC.... I do have the PSE but I suspect it was a dealer addition and not a factory install as there is no switch.... you are right tho... the sound is good.... probably one of my favorite things about the car....

Old 06-19-2010, 10:38 AM
Originally Posted by djantlive
PSE still sounds nicer. I did the hack myself. $100 for the muffler shop to weld the pipes. I did the install myself. Worth doing but only achieves 80% of real PSE, switch or not.
Drove them both on the same day and cannot tell a difference between the two. What does the PSE do differently? its the same thing.

Even if you were to be correct, $225 versus $1,900 for sound......

Old 06-19-2010, 10:42 AM
Can you still buy a PSE for $1900? When shopping for a car it was a priority but when I got frustrated finding the right car with it I called Rusnak Porsche for a price as they were advertising the upgrade... quite reasonably priced.... $5000+... strangely enough I felt somewhat more patient after that call!

Old 06-19-2010, 10:51 AM
Originally Posted by Sosoomi1
Can you still buy a PSE for $1900? When shopping for a car it was a priority but when I got frustrated finding the right car with it I called Rusnak Porsche for a price as they were advertising the upgrade... quite reasonably priced.... $5000+... strangely enough I felt somewhat more patient after that call!
That was the price last time I looked it up at suncoast porsche. $5,000??? They were smoking some good stuff!

Old 06-20-2010, 06:25 AM
nijoma has much to be proud ofnijoma has much to be proud ofnijoma has much to be proud ofnijoma has much to be proud ofnijoma has much to be proud ofnijoma has much to be proud ofnijoma has much to be proud ofnijoma has much to be proud ofnijoma has much to be proud of
Love the Fister mufflers

Mine have been on for about a month, the sound is great.

Old 06-20-2010, 10:53 AM
tarzancoe is infamous around these parts
I think PSE's go for upper 5k this days, a ripoff. I'd love having a louder muffler but with a switch, so I can stay married longer . But not at those prices.

Old 06-20-2010, 04:29 PM
Tarzan,

I don;t think the PSE hack is too loud at all. It sounds they way it should from factory, a little throatier and a little raspier. During normal driving the difference is not that much. Wide open, it sounds nice!

Old 06-20-2010, 05:38 PM
gixxer638 is infamous around these partsgixxer638 is infamous around these partsgixxer638 is infamous around these partsgixxer638 is infamous around these partsgixxer638 is infamous around these parts
just take the mulffer off go for the fabspeed bypass pipes mow that is some sound

Old 06-20-2010, 09:33 PM
Airrik is infamous around these partsAirrik is infamous around these parts
Go for FVD or M&K sound just as good if not better for a little more money.

Old 06-21-2010, 10:57 AM
Basic Sponsor
SuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by jax996
That was the price last time I looked it up at suncoast porsche. $5,000??? They were smoking some good stuff!
Yes.......we are smoking some good stuff.

But seriously though, the price on 996 PSE went crazy, and it's still high. Not sure what happened there. It's a shame, they sound fantastic.

Your #1 Source for Genuine Porsche Parts and Accessories on the Web!

Visit us at http://www.SuncoastParts.com
Call us at: 877-923-1700
Email us at: Parts@SuncoastParts.com

Follow us to stay connected:
Join Our Newsletter | Facebook

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: PSE HACK by FD Motorsports