996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Callas Rennsport IMS bearing job

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-25-2010, 08:30 PM
Harmony Jim is infamous around these parts
Callas Rennsport IMS bearing job

I own a 2000 C2 cabriolet, 6 speed. After reading the threads regarding IMS bearings self-destructing with no warning, I decided to be proactive and replace the Porsche junk with a LN Engineering kit. I had Callas Rennsport in Torrance, Ca. do the work as I had heard great things in regards to quality of work and racing background. Tony, the owner, has a long family history dealing with Porsches, he instructs other Porsche mechanics, and his shop has a library and tool collection like I have never seen anywhere else. His staff was competent, neat, well mannered and very friendly, as were Tony and Tom. They worked with me every step of the way, and replaced the IMS single row bearing parts and labor for under two grand total. While he was in there, I had him install a new RMS (they have the VERY latest Porsche tool which inserts the seal further in the case), and they checked the crank for concentricity with another trick tool before they even attempted to install the latest seal. I also had them install a new clutch disc (flywheel and pressure plate only have 7K miles), and there was no undue pressure to spend more money then I had available. They even installed a GBox second gear detent part in the trans for next to nothing. I just wanted to express my sincere pleasure in using them for this work, and will definitely use them again in the future. If you are looking for some peace of mind in regards to your IMS coming unglued without notice, do what I did, spend the money with these guys and drive without having to turn the radio down every two minutes to listen for the blasted "bearings in a coffee can" sound. Makes driving my car fun again!!

Old 06-26-2010, 10:06 AM
RF5BPilot is just really niceRF5BPilot is just really niceRF5BPilot is just really niceRF5BPilot is just really niceRF5BPilot is just really nice
It does create a sense of relief, doesn't it?

Last edited by RF5BPilot; 06-26-2010 at 10:50 AM.
Old 06-26-2010, 10:54 AM
Harmony Jim is infamous around these parts
Callas Rennsport IMS bearing jib

Yes it is. I was getting real tired of turning the radio down all the time to have to listen to the engine instead (although I do love to listen to the exhaust sounds!!).

Old 09-28-2010, 01:46 PM
ericyingling is infamous around these parts
Not surprised

Nice review. Callas was the shop I used before moving out of the LA area in 2005. Tony and Tom are great.

I find the 996 a stressful car to own (compared to older 911s I have owned) and Tony was always great about putting these "little stresses" into perspective for me. I too, give Callas Rennsport my highest recommendation.

Old 09-28-2010, 08:22 PM
01vdpsc has a spectacular aura about01vdpsc has a spectacular aura about01vdpsc has a spectacular aura about
IMO the most sensible mod to do before wheels and stereos etc...