996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

What is better - TPC Turbo or TPC Supercharger

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-20-2010, 01:52 PM
Former Vendor
vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !
Yes Call me.

Old 07-20-2010, 03:34 PM
Former Vendor
vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !
Update Update!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Got the kit all installed. Overall fit and finish is good. 2 things that I would change. The driverside exhaust outlet does not have any brackets holding it in place except for the passenger clamp on the turbo. We made a cheap $2 bracket to give it rigidity as it was flopping there. The Turbo is enormous and if that thing reaches EGTs of around 1500F, the bumper will melt or bubble the paint. So we put some heat tape on the inside of the bumper. Everything else was golden. The car idled great and sounded impressive too.

We strapped the car down on the dyno and gave it a run. The car baseline run was 247rwhp and 212ft/lbs of torque. This was done on July 2 with a very similar ambient temp of around 100-105F. On the same 91octane in the car with nothing else changed except the turbo kit, the car made 336rwhp and 287ft/lbs of torque. That is a 90rwhp gain. Not bad at all! In fact a k16 Porsche 996 Turbo on our dyno makes about 330awhp to 340awhp. So this is strong. The wastegate boost made 4.8psi which is on par with what TPC says. A Greddy EBC would be a nice add on to set a solid 5 to 5.5 PSI and maybe 6-7psi on race gas. There is an extra 20-30HP there. Remember that HOT HOT temperatures greatly affect turbocharged cars and cooling capacity.

These numbers are directly inline with the TPC Cayman we did 2 weeks prior here. That car in the same climate/temp conditions also made 90HP.

Comparing this turbo kit to our own 996C2 from 2006 installation of the TPC Supercharger is very interesting. They both made about the same HP. However the supercharger kit was dyno tested in April with temperatures of around 20-30F cooler. So in theory the Turbo Kit makes alot more power. The Supercharger has higher instantaneous torque, but the Turbo power delivery is smoother. The Turbo sound is much more appealing too. The supercharger whine is intense. If I were to have had a choice of buying the supercharger or turbo kit... Turbo All the Way!

Another great TPC Turbo Kit install! Now who wants one next from Vivid Racing!

Old 07-20-2010, 04:24 PM
mdurbahn has much to be proud ofmdurbahn has much to be proud ofmdurbahn has much to be proud ofmdurbahn has much to be proud ofmdurbahn has much to be proud ofmdurbahn has much to be proud ofmdurbahn has much to be proud ofmdurbahn has much to be proud ofmdurbahn has much to be proud of
Does that car live in Colorado? I would love to get a ride in it to persuade me if it does...
1500 sounds high for egts to me, I thought the safe limit was 1250-1300? Got any vids of the dyno run to hear how she sounds?

Old 07-20-2010, 04:27 PM
Former Vendor
Dyno video will be posted soon! As far as the car, the customer is from CO. You can email sean@vividracing.com as it is his customer.

Old 07-20-2010, 05:12 PM
Former Vendor
Here is a HD video for ya!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G4NH7DJXxss

Old 07-20-2010, 10:07 PM
markar is a name known to allmarkar is a name known to allmarkar is a name known to allmarkar is a name known to allmarkar is a name known to allmarkar is a name known to all
Wow temp make big different i have the same year car with TPC turbo and EBC My car made 429 rwh and 339 ft/Ibs with 5psi boost 93 octane gas.

Old 07-20-2010, 10:09 PM
Former Vendor
You were dynoed on TPC dyno jet, that is the big difference. But yes 93 and temp make a difference too.

Old 07-20-2010, 11:49 PM
thenextepisode is infamous around these parts
thanks for the great video

Old 07-21-2010, 08:54 AM
scubaguy is a splendid one to beholdscubaguy is a splendid one to beholdscubaguy is a splendid one to beholdscubaguy is a splendid one to beholdscubaguy is a splendid one to beholdscubaguy is a splendid one to beholdscubaguy is a splendid one to behold
Sorry for my ignorance, but how can you go from a baseline of around 247rwh to 429rwh. When vivid is only showing a 90 horse gain. And what about VF they show 470 at the crank and 352 rwh. help me understand this.

Originally Posted by markar
Wow temp make big different i have the same year car with TPC turbo and EBC My car made 429 rwh and 339 ft/Ibs with 5psi boost 93 octane gas.

Old 07-21-2010, 04:32 PM
Former Vendor
You should not care what the baseline is. You should only care what the delta is. If I showed you a baseline of 500HP and a gain of 10HP to get 510hp, you would be bummed. If I showed you a baseline of 200HP with a gain of 300HP you would be stoked. All dynos operate, calculate, and read differently. You have to understand to the giant limitations Turbocharged cars have when it comes to lower octane fuel and temperature. That is why I did a good write up to help explain that.

Old 07-21-2010, 06:25 PM
cakasa is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by brando
"better"?

Better for what?

Better is very subjective.

i'm looking for "better" for my wallet........:d
you tell 'em .... Tb

Old 07-21-2010, 06:36 PM
Former Vendor
If you want better for your wallet, then lets compare...

TPC Turbo Kit - $9995
TPC Supercharger - $10995
VF Supercharger - $10995

By math it is better, and as you can see with my review and comparison to the TPC SC, it comparible temps, it will make more power!

Now for the DIY guys lets look at the other option (rough estimate):
Build your own QUALITY headers - $800
Custom Exhaust System - $500
Garrett Turbo - $1200
Tial Wastegate - $380
6 RC Injectors - $550
Porsche OEM Center Radiator Kit - $500
Air to Water Intercooler - $300
Hardware, Lines, Clamps, etc... $200
Air Intake - $30
Hard Aluminum tubes connecting turbo to intercooler and TB - $500

Thats a rough estimate at about $5K. Think about the welding labor, time, etc. If it takes 35-40 hours to install, think about the Fab time!!!! The biggest issue is Tuning. Your at another $1500-$2000 for a custom tune.

So for your wallet. Get something done and put it in

Old 07-22-2010, 05:18 PM
Former Vendor
Cleaned up, some new rear tires, and final adjustments, the car is picked up and gone. Thought I would share some final shots!

Old 07-22-2010, 05:37 PM
Airrik is infamous around these partsAirrik is infamous around these parts
Ooh a sleeper my kind of performance car

Old 07-22-2010, 05:39 PM
Former Vendor
"look at the old gentleman in the cabrio Porsche" brrraaaaaaap brrraaaaaappppp