996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

What is better - TPC Turbo or TPC Supercharger

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-02-2010, 03:45 PM
Former Vendor
vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !
What is better - TPC Turbo or TPC Supercharger

Back in 2006 Vivid Racing made the TPC Supercharger a known competitor to the VF Engineering kit. TPC at the time was mainly known for their racing in the Grand Am series with focus on suspension and race car prep. Our 2000 996C2 3.4L with the Supercharger was featured in a couple magazines and we also ran the US Leg of the 2006 Gumball 3000. With the Eaton supercharger, our car baselined at 230rwhp and then gained 100rwhp on 91octane to 330rwhp. Read the article here - http://www.vividracing.com/forums/pr...-vr-996sc.html

So overtime TPC has changed their business around and with that is the release of their Single Turbo Upgrade Kit. Much like the Supercharger kit, TPC still uses the front OEM center radiator kit to work with the air to water intercooler. Because the turbo is now located where one of the mufflers was, the exhaust system is completely changed from the headers back. TPC shows a change in power from 250rwhp to 420rwhp on a DynoJet using 93oct, 5.5psi, and an ambient temperature of 72F.

So here we go... which is better? Our install car here we are doing is also a 2000 3.4L 6speed. Our dyno calibrations have changed over the past 4 years so the baseline test shows 247rwhp and 212ft/lbs of torque. Being in Arizona, we only do 91oct gas and it is 105-110F right now. So should be interesting to see the results. Check out the gallery of images here and stay tuned to our build thread for updates.

Old 07-03-2010, 09:05 AM
Doug996InKC is infamous around these partsDoug996InKC is infamous around these parts
Thanks for taking on this project. I'll be interested in reading your opinions about the turbo install level of effort.

Old 07-03-2010, 10:43 AM
BiteEmNBeatEm has much to be proud ofBiteEmNBeatEm has much to be proud ofBiteEmNBeatEm has much to be proud ofBiteEmNBeatEm has much to be proud ofBiteEmNBeatEm has much to be proud ofBiteEmNBeatEm has much to be proud ofBiteEmNBeatEm has much to be proud ofBiteEmNBeatEm has much to be proud ofBiteEmNBeatEm has much to be proud of
ive been looking into forced induction on my '00 996 3.4l and im realy leaning towards the single turbo. it will probably cost more (cntr radiator needed, elec. boost controler "not needed but i would love to have the option to change psi to my fuel type" and ofcousre an ecu programing for 3 diffrent fuels.) But since i'll be doing the install myself, in my driveway..lol i think the single turbo looks for a more simplicid install.

ON THE OTHER HAND, superchargers tend to give you power through all rpms due to turbo lag, BUT this TPC single turbo set up seems to have a real good rmp range rather than spiking.

Old 07-03-2010, 05:26 PM
Brando has much to be proud ofBrando has much to be proud ofBrando has much to be proud ofBrando has much to be proud ofBrando has much to be proud ofBrando has much to be proud ofBrando has much to be proud ofBrando has much to be proud of
Cool

"Better"?

Better for what?

Better is very subjective.

I'm looking for "better" for my wallet........

Old 07-05-2010, 09:06 AM
Former Vendor
vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !
Well this will give you a good direct comparison of the SC and Turbo. The center radiator is required on both kits. Boost controller is optional and I agree as changing it for pump or race fuel is nice. However you dont want to get greddy on the boost, these are low low psi kits.

Old 07-09-2010, 10:29 AM
Former Vendor
Let the install begin!

And the install begins. Same concept as the supercharger using the GT3 center radiator and the air to water intercooler as you see mounted. I put a picture of my old 996C2 so you could see the differences. We have put in the new injectors, bolted up the turbo and exhaust system and ran the plumbing. The silicone hoses provided are a tight fit but much easier to install then their old hard aluminum hose. The headers are nice quality and interested to hear how this smaller muffler and cats will sound. The turbo is massive tucked in the right rear fender. Enjoy!

Old Air to Water on our Supercharged 996C2

Old 07-09-2010, 11:48 AM
Brando has much to be proud ofBrando has much to be proud ofBrando has much to be proud ofBrando has much to be proud ofBrando has much to be proud ofBrando has much to be proud ofBrando has much to be proud ofBrando has much to be proud of
Thumbs up

Man.....that is one clean looking set up!

Must.......resist...........

Old 07-09-2010, 11:53 AM
Former Vendor
Give me a call, lets get you setup!

Old 07-09-2010, 02:13 PM
Doug996InKC is infamous around these partsDoug996InKC is infamous around these parts
Few questions:
1. Is the exhaust stainless steel?
2. Are tips welded on or attached w/ bolts?
3. How many o2 sensors?
4. What kind of bearings in turbo?
5. Stock clutch? Upgraded clutch necessary?

Thinking about dropping engine & tranny this winter for IMS, RMS, AOS, plugs, water pump, clutch, coolant tank, etc., AND ... possibly this!

Old 07-09-2010, 02:31 PM
Former Vendor
Everything is stainless. Tips are welded, no adjustment. It retains both primary and secondary O2 sensors. I dont know on the turbo internals. We are using the stock clutch. If you need an upgrade go with our ClutchMasters Stage 2.

Old 07-10-2010, 09:51 AM
mdurbahn has much to be proud ofmdurbahn has much to be proud ofmdurbahn has much to be proud ofmdurbahn has much to be proud ofmdurbahn has much to be proud ofmdurbahn has much to be proud ofmdurbahn has much to be proud ofmdurbahn has much to be proud ofmdurbahn has much to be proud of
Looks like a good kit, how long is the install time?

Old 07-10-2010, 01:38 PM
Doc_Porsche is infamous around these partsDoc_Porsche is infamous around these parts
sorry... but what's the cost?

Old 07-10-2010, 07:26 PM
mdurbahn has much to be proud ofmdurbahn has much to be proud ofmdurbahn has much to be proud ofmdurbahn has much to be proud ofmdurbahn has much to be proud ofmdurbahn has much to be proud ofmdurbahn has much to be proud ofmdurbahn has much to be proud ofmdurbahn has much to be proud of
How about a group buy for this like you had for the supercharger?

Old 07-12-2010, 09:45 AM
Former Vendor
The kit cost is $9995 including the center radiator kit ($500 value) from Vivid Racing. Install time is about 35hours.

Call me with any questions.

Old 07-15-2010, 03:59 PM
scubaguy is a splendid one to beholdscubaguy is a splendid one to beholdscubaguy is a splendid one to beholdscubaguy is a splendid one to beholdscubaguy is a splendid one to beholdscubaguy is a splendid one to beholdscubaguy is a splendid one to behold
Any new updates on the build.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: What is better - TPC Turbo or TPC Supercharger