996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

where is the fuel pump???

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-05-2010, 04:34 PM
Omarcoolguy has a brilliant futureOmarcoolguy has a brilliant futureOmarcoolguy has a brilliant futureOmarcoolguy has a brilliant futureOmarcoolguy has a brilliant futureOmarcoolguy has a brilliant futureOmarcoolguy has a brilliant futureOmarcoolguy has a brilliant futureOmarcoolguy has a brilliant futureOmarcoolguy has a brilliant futureOmarcoolguy has a brilliant future
where is the fuel pump???

any pics....or any help, cant google any images.. anyone replace a fuel pump on a 996???

do i have to drop the tank?...i need a DIY .

thanks

Old 07-05-2010, 04:36 PM
Administrator
GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !
fuel pump is in the tank...although this is for a GT3..you get the idea

Attached Images  

Last edited by GT3 Chuck; 07-05-2010 at 04:41 PM.
Old 07-05-2010, 04:48 PM
Omarcoolguy has a brilliant futureOmarcoolguy has a brilliant futureOmarcoolguy has a brilliant futureOmarcoolguy has a brilliant futureOmarcoolguy has a brilliant futureOmarcoolguy has a brilliant futureOmarcoolguy has a brilliant futureOmarcoolguy has a brilliant futureOmarcoolguy has a brilliant futureOmarcoolguy has a brilliant futureOmarcoolguy has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by GT3 Chuck
fuel pump is in the tank...although this is for a GT3..you get the idea

is there an easy way to drop the tank ?? or to check the pump when its in the car??

my car will turn off when its warm...and wont turn back on untill it cools off...

Old 07-05-2010, 05:01 PM
Administrator
GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !
you can check fuel pressure with a gauge (be careful as the fuel will be under high pressure) but you should be able to hear the pump come on when you turn the key on and before you crank the engine...is should run for a second or two to pressurize the system and then shut off until you crank the motor...you say when it is hot it won't turn on....what do you mean?...does it crank and not fire or not even crank (which would be a completely different issue)? you don't need to drop the tank to check/replace the fuel pump but it is a big job and you need to be very careful with the fumes that will escape...there is a small flexible hose in the pump line that can fail and cause loss of pressure but it is not heat related...there used to be a fuel vapor lock problem with the early Datsun Z cars that had those symptoms..the car would just quit running and wouldn't start until it cooled down...never heard of it on a modern Porsche tho...any chance you have had some work done recently that could have placed a fuel component where it could get hot (like a fuel filter)?

Last edited by GT3 Chuck; 07-05-2010 at 05:04 PM.
Old 07-05-2010, 05:26 PM
Originally Posted by GT3 Chuck
you can check fuel pressure with a gauge (be careful as the fuel will be under high pressure) but you should be able to hear the pump come on when you turn the key on and before you crank the engine...is should run for a second or two to pressurize the system and then shut off until you crank the motor...you say when it is hot it won't turn on....what do you mean?...does it crank and not fire or not even crank (which would be a completely different issue)? you don't need to drop the tank to check/replace the fuel pump but it is a big job and you need to be very careful with the fumes that will escape...there is a small flexible hose in the pump line that can fail and cause loss of pressure but it is not heat related...there used to be a fuel vapor lock problem with the early Datsun Z cars that had those symptoms..the car would just quit running and wouldn't start until it cooled down...never heard of it on a modern Porsche tho...any chance you have had some work done recently that could have placed a fuel component where it could get hot (like a fuel filter)?

the car will start and drive fine...untill it gets warm.185-200 then it will just shut off...untill it gets cold again...problem just started this week..i thought it could of been the fuel filter but i swapped it out yesterday and still same problem...i hooked up a durametric and im not getting any codes...it seems fuel related but , if the pump was bad would it only work when it cold??? plus it seems like when the car goes into closed loop its when its shutting down....

Old 07-05-2010, 05:57 PM
Administrator
if you haven't done any mods recently then it could be a fuel pump relay, or the ecu (since it might be associated with closed loop)...if the problem was the fuel pump it likely wouldn't be so consistent in relation to temp...when the gas in the tank was cold it would take it longer to quit...if it was the fuel pump I would think you would be getting some codes...it could be something as stupid as your ignition switch breaking contact when it gets hot...good luck, without codes this one won't be easy to find...have you had any work done on the car recently?

Old 07-05-2010, 06:14 PM
chuck check this out....he had the same problem exactly seems like it might be a crank shaft sensor....what do ya think ???

http://www.renntech.org/forums/index...und-205-deg-f/

Old 07-05-2010, 07:09 PM
Administrator
that is a very likely culprit since the symptoms fit that scenario and a failure there would definitely kill the motor...surprised that it wouldn't leave a code but I guess that is possible since it will restart after it cools down...

Old 07-05-2010, 08:31 PM
YA, it sounds like this is it...i just need to find out where it is...any pix chuck???

im gonna order one tomarrow

Old 07-05-2010, 09:00 PM
fourempties has a reputation beyond reputefourempties has a reputation beyond reputefourempties has a reputation beyond reputefourempties has a reputation beyond reputefourempties has a reputation beyond reputefourempties has a reputation beyond reputefourempties has a reputation beyond reputefourempties has a reputation beyond reputefourempties has a reputation beyond reputefourempties has a reputation beyond reputefourempties has a reputation beyond repute
My crank shaft sensor failure problem on my Audi was different. It would not start, just keep turning over and over, then after trying off and on for 20 minutes or so it would fire right up. It would start fine for a few days or even a few weeks, then no start. I would sit and try for about 10 seconds, let it rest, try for ten seconds, let it rest. Eventually it would start, or I could roll it and pop the clutch to get it started. It never just quit while driving. I didn't see any postings where anybody had your symptoms that were corrected by the new crank shaft sensor. I did have the exact same problem with a motorcycle which ended up being a problem with the stator. Not the starter, the stator. I don't even know if a car engine has a stator though...

Old 07-05-2010, 09:25 PM
fourempties has a reputation beyond reputefourempties has a reputation beyond reputefourempties has a reputation beyond reputefourempties has a reputation beyond reputefourempties has a reputation beyond reputefourempties has a reputation beyond reputefourempties has a reputation beyond reputefourempties has a reputation beyond reputefourempties has a reputation beyond reputefourempties has a reputation beyond reputefourempties has a reputation beyond repute
A few links to check out. In the 3rd link the guy's problem seems exactly like yours and he replied that it was fixed by replacing the CPS. :

http://www.ehow.com/list_5865070_sig...ng-sensor.html

http://www.ehow.com/list_6006744_cra...-symptoms.html

http://www.mbworld.org/forums/c-clas...-thread-2.html

Old 07-05-2010, 09:31 PM
Originally Posted by fourempties
A few links to check out. In the 3rd link the guy's problem seems exactly like yours and he replied that it was fixed by replacing the CPS. :

http://www.ehow.com/list_5865070_sig...ng-sensor.html

http://www.ehow.com/list_6006744_cra...-symptoms.html

http://www.mbworld.org/forums/c-clas...-thread-2.html
thanks...the post i put up was with a 996 and he had the same exact thing....so im thinking it a cps...ill find out soon enough...i just need to know where it is!!! lol

Old 07-05-2010, 09:58 PM
Administrator
The crankshaft pulse generator position reads the gap (two missing teeth) in the flywheel ring gear. The gap produced by 2 missing teeth serves as the reference mark and lies 84° before the TDC of the 1st and 4th cylinder. This is what it reportedly looks like...

this is where it mounts on the 996 GT3 motor..item 35

Attached Images  
Old 07-06-2010, 10:33 PM
Administrator
hey Omar, check this thread...maybe your original thought was the correct one...

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...ced-fixed.html

Old 07-07-2010, 01:25 AM
Dharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud of
996's don't have high pressure fuel pumps, that is part of the direct injection system on 997.2's, and is a known problem with them. This is not the source of Omar's problem.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: where is the fuel pump???