996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Opinions: Transmission Upgrades

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-14-2010, 06:49 AM
CarreraHokie is infamous around these parts
Opinions: Transmission Upgrades

So just got my 99 C4 back in November and when I had the PPI done the tech said the clutch was nearing the end of its life. Normal driving, no problem thus far but when pushing it the clutch has a tendency to slip. So taking it easy on the girl for a little while to gameplan for the upgrades. Gonna have the transmission out so makes sense to go ahead and put in a new RMS and do the IMS upgrade. Also figure on doing a new flywheel. I'm not planning on building this car for monster power, the extent of power add-ons would be I/H/E and computer upgrade so I don't need a heavily upgraded clutch. I'm looking for good drivability but a little extra NVH from a lightened flywheel isn't going to bother me much. So, whats your opinion on a clutch/LFW package? I'm shooting for moderate pricing on these, trying to stay around the $2000 ballpark or less for the clutch & flywheel. I was looking at the Sharkwerks LFW and have read several posts on the added rattle at idle, etc. That sort of issue doesn't bother me.

Ready to hear all opinions, fire away!

Old 07-14-2010, 07:50 AM
Fozzybear is a glorious beacon of lightFozzybear is a glorious beacon of lightFozzybear is a glorious beacon of lightFozzybear is a glorious beacon of lightFozzybear is a glorious beacon of light
I'm planning a similar task (also a note on my PPI). I had been thinking about the Aasco lightweight flywheel mated with the Spec II clutch. Seems to be a popular and reliable combination.

Also interested in opinions.

Old 07-14-2010, 08:37 AM
Porsche Tech is just really nicePorsche Tech is just really nicePorsche Tech is just really nicePorsche Tech is just really nice
The Aasco flywheel and stage 2 clutch is a good setup- just make sure if you're going to a sprung hub disc. That way there is a little damping value on engagement. A solid hub unit will result in more gearbox backlash noise on accel/decell as well fwiw.

Old 07-14-2010, 10:24 AM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
The LWF changes the character of the car... I've had 'em on all my NA 911s Revs up and down quicker and gives you better acceleration especially in the lower gears....

Old 07-14-2010, 10:25 AM
Fozzybear is a glorious beacon of lightFozzybear is a glorious beacon of lightFozzybear is a glorious beacon of lightFozzybear is a glorious beacon of lightFozzybear is a glorious beacon of light
The Spec stage II is a high torque sprung hub and disc assembly.

http://www.specclutch.com/products

Old 07-14-2010, 10:47 AM
Originally Posted by sharkster
The LWF changes the character of the car... I've had 'em on all my NA 911s Revs up and down quicker and gives you better acceleration especially in the lower gears....
Excuse my ignorance (I'm new here what can I say) but do you guys manufacture your own LWF or are you reselling the Aasco (it looks a *lot* the Aasco, but what do I know?).

I've noticed that you seem to list the manufacturer for most parts - but not the LWF....

Old 07-21-2010, 01:03 PM
SF996 is infamous around these parts
I got the AASCO flywheel and SPEC Stage 2 installed about 6 months ago and it is awesome. I think I spent about $1600 for them at vividracing.com. There is some "rattle" at idle but it's no big deal. It is still very easy to drive though it does take a little while to get used to. Since the flywheel is so much lighter (less rotating mass) and the clutch bites a bit faster, it's not as easy to make smooth slow starts. But, I didn't buy my Porsche to drive it like an old lady so, who cares?