996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

C4S horn replacement

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-16-2010, 08:24 AM
davebho is infamous around these parts
These all sound good

If my horn died, I'd do one of these mods, no question. I bet it's actually cheaper to go this route then to go to Porsche and get a new horn.

But really, I don't remember when the last time I ever used my horn was.

Old 07-16-2010, 08:58 AM
1999 C4 Cab 6 Speed
my996 is infamous around these parts
Very good point. If I did do this mod I'd be honking every where I went. Toot, toot, ... toot toot.

Old 07-16-2010, 09:44 AM
Originally Posted by my996
If I did do this mod I'd be honking every where I went. Toot, toot, ... toot toot.
I know right? my neighbors would be like here this fool goes again with his lil P...

Old 07-16-2010, 10:01 AM
ccbesq is infamous around these parts
Well, I'm glad to have started this discussion. Having done so, I'll raise a few more questions. I'd really like to have a replacement horn on hand before I open up the front of the car, so that I don't end up doing it twice - once to see how much room there is and where I can mount what, and a second time after I've ordered and received the horn I intend to use. So the first question is, is there space in the front wheel well for an after-market horn like the two-trumpet Hella? Second, has anyone considered or used the Stebel Nautilus compact horn - it's supposedly 139db loud and pretty compact, and I know they're often used on motorcycles for these reasons. Third, one poster advises that the front bumper should be removed, another says to "unbutton the skid plate below the front end" and my friendly local Porsche mechanic (who's too busy building race engines to replace a horn) advises that I just need to open up the lining of the wheel well. So . . . which is it?

Thanks again,

Chris

Old 07-16-2010, 10:56 AM
1999 C4 Cab 6 Speed
Chris, I have my front bumper off right now. I can see the two OEM horns. I can take any measurements you like. From the space I have seen, there seems to be plenty of room to fit the air horns or others in there. BTW, the horns are located on the right side of the trunk compartment (or bonnet if you like) not in the wheel wells; and there is an equal amount of empty space on the left side of the trunk if you want to mount another horn on that side. I'll take pics with a ruler in place if you like. Just let me know.

Last edited by my996; 07-16-2010 at 10:58 AM.
Old 07-16-2010, 11:07 AM
C4S horn replacement

Thanks for the quick reply and offer of help - I really appreciate it. I don't want to make this more complicated or difficult than it needs to be, and I should have been more precise in what I wrote. I've been told that the horns are on the right side of the car (i.e. the passenger side), behind the wheel well liner and I would assume next to the trunk. It sounds like that's exactly what you're describing. I'm sure that pictures and measurements would assist me. I guess the question that I still have is, do I need to remove the bumper to get in there, or can I (as my mechanic told me) access the horns by removing the right front wheel and the wheel well liner, or (based on what you're describing) is there a way to access them through the trunk? If I have to remove the bumper, how big a project is that (without a shop manual)? (I'm an average shade tree mechanic with a pretty good set of tools . . . ) And do you know what another poster was referring to when he advised removing the "skid plate?"

Thanks again.

Old 07-16-2010, 02:05 PM
1999 C4 Cab 6 Speed
I wouldn't try to access them through the trunk as it is a fully metal encased structure with no access to the horns without cutting through I guess. I think removing the bumper is the best and easiest way to go because doing so provides you complete access. Additionally, you can get in there and clean out the radiators now and then which you'll have to do at some point - might as well learn how to do it now. Is is possible to access the horns through another route? - I don't know, maybe; anything is possible - I wouldn't do it. Anyway, I'll leave that to you. Here are the pics you requested.

Attached Images   
Old 07-16-2010, 02:46 PM
I think removing the bumper is overkill

go try it for yourself. reach under there, you should be able to touch the thing even without taking any of the panels off. At least that's how it is for my C4s. I would venture out and say you could do it with just removing that one small skid plate right there as opposed to what I said earlier on removing the big piece. Many ways to skin a cat here

Last edited by davebho; 07-16-2010 at 02:48 PM.
Old 07-16-2010, 02:53 PM
1999 C4 Cab 6 Speed
I have an aftermarket bumper so I'm not sure what a skid plate is. In my car, its all one piece. So if you can remove just the piece underneath, that might be easier.

Old 07-16-2010, 03:02 PM
yah mine is a different bumper too

Originally Posted by my996
I have an aftermarket bumper so I'm not sure what a skid plate is. In my car, its all one piece. So if you can remove just the piece underneath, that might be easier.
And mine is the C4S, so the bumper is different also...good luck OP, and if you're local, i'd offer up my garage with plenty of tools if you want to...

Old 07-19-2010, 08:35 AM
C4S horn replacement

if you're local, i'd offer up my garage with plenty of tools if you want to...

Thanks, I really appreciate the offer - but I'm in Connecticut, so it'd be a bit of a trip . . .

I've decided to order the Stebel Air Horn, and when it arrives, I'll take the front bumper off and hope I can fit it in. I assume that even though I intend to remove both stock horns, I should wire in the 30 amp relay that comes with the Stebel. If anyone has done this mod without using the relay, please let me know.

Thanks,

Chris

Old 07-19-2010, 08:40 AM
1999 C4 Cab 6 Speed
Chris, please take pics and share your experience with the install. Thanks and good luck

Old 07-20-2010, 07:24 AM
C4S Horn replacement

Chris, please take pics and share your experience with the install. Thanks and good luck.

I'll certainly do that. I ordered the Stebel Nautilus Air Horn yesterday, and will install it this weekend if it arrives in time. Any tips, tricks or short-cuts regarding removing the (2004) C4S front bumper, or is it pretty straight-forward ?

Old 07-20-2010, 07:39 AM
1999 C4 Cab 6 Speed
Here are two that helped me. G/L

http://www.renntech.org/forums/index..._1#entry118111

http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarti...heel_Liner.htm

I also have a video but its too big to post here. But the links should do it. Contact me on PM if you have any questions.

Last edited by my996; 07-20-2010 at 07:41 AM.
Old 07-20-2010, 08:06 AM
Thanks for the links - they're very helpful. I assume that the process is essentially the same for a C4S as for the Boxster in the Pelican article. I also assume that I won't need to remove the wheel well liners, and thus don't need to remove the front wheels, but that I'll need to jack the front of the car up to get to the bottom fasteners of the bumper cover. If that's all correct, it looks pretty simple and straight-forward.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: C4S horn replacement