996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

C4S horn replacement

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-14-2010, 09:35 AM
ccbesq is infamous around these parts
C4S horn replacement

One of the horns on my 2004 C4S has died, and I need to replace it. I believe it's the low pitched horn, since the remaining horn is rather high pitched, and very weak sounding. I assume this isn't a difficult job, but since I don't have access to a shop manual, hopefully someone on the board can walk me through it.

While I'm at it, should I upgrade to after-market horns?

Thanks,

Chris

Old 07-14-2010, 10:11 AM
Shecky is infamous around these parts
Remove your front bumper. The horn should be on the right front of the car. If you look under your bumper cover there is an opening through which you can see and touch the front horn. Have someone beep them with your fingers on the horn and see if it is that one.

Aftermarket? This should serve you well!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EKTsuGzHm-0

Old 07-14-2010, 10:11 AM
davebho is infamous around these parts
Wink interesting mod

it is easy. unbutton the skid plate below the front end. That skid plate has clips and 4 screws (one on each corner). The clips, you'll need 2 flat scredrivers, one big one small. the small, use as pry on the bottom and the large use to relelease the clips on the side. It will make sense once you see it.
Once skid plate is removed, it's towards the front of the car. I remember seeing plenty of room to get it in and out.

Now are you sure it's out? Cause when we don't close a door tight and arm the alarm it only uses one horn as it's suppose to. But when you hit the horn button, it goes full force and is louder.

Now for the fun part, I've always liked the sound of the ferrari horns, find one of them and stick it in? It has to be the same set up, power ground...yada yada.

Just please don't put anything silly like the 'la cu ca ra cha' horns in there

Old 07-14-2010, 10:18 AM
Fozzybear is a glorious beacon of lightFozzybear is a glorious beacon of lightFozzybear is a glorious beacon of lightFozzybear is a glorious beacon of lightFozzybear is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by davebho

Just please don't put anything silly like the 'la cu ca ra cha' horns in there
What about 'Dixie'? C'mon that would fun!

Old 07-14-2010, 12:15 PM
Originally Posted by Fozzybear
What about 'Dixie'? C'mon that would fun!
Dixie? don't think i know that one...youtube anyone?

Old 07-14-2010, 12:41 PM
Fozzybear is a glorious beacon of lightFozzybear is a glorious beacon of lightFozzybear is a glorious beacon of lightFozzybear is a glorious beacon of lightFozzybear is a glorious beacon of light
C'mon you know - the little jingle the General Lee used pump out. (I'm dating myself, I know it)

Old 07-14-2010, 01:54 PM
that would be awesome

Originally Posted by Fozzybear
C'mon you know - the little jingle the General Lee used pump out. (I'm dating myself, I know it)
You mean the orange car from that movie where the guy from american pie drives?

I take it all back...that would be awesome if he had an orange RS...but a normal 996, not sure it can pull it off.

Old 07-14-2010, 11:23 PM
FlipMo is a splendid one to beholdFlipMo is a splendid one to beholdFlipMo is a splendid one to beholdFlipMo is a splendid one to beholdFlipMo is a splendid one to beholdFlipMo is a splendid one to beholdFlipMo is a splendid one to behold
Now for the fun part, I've always liked the sound of the ferrari horns, find one of them and stick it in? It has to be the same set up, power ground...yada yada
Wow, This is a very good idea! I wonder if anyone else has thought about doing this and how it came out? I like the sound of the Ferrari horns too! I have a '04 C4S Cab. What do I need to change the sound of my stock Porsche horn to a Ferrari horn?

Old 07-15-2010, 07:42 AM
1999 C4 Cab 6 Speed
my996 is infamous around these parts
A google search resulted in this ... http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Where_can_...from_a_ferrari

and take a look at this... http://www.my348.com/ Go down until you find "Horn."

And then finally ... http://www.amazon.com/Hella-00300179.../dp/B0002MA03I

G/L

Last edited by my996; 07-15-2010 at 08:24 AM.
Old 07-15-2010, 09:53 AM
thanks my996

Originally Posted by my996
My only take is that if you did this, it would die in a few years as the air tank runs out. Better bet to find a ferrari horn from a salvage yard somewhere or even ebay.

Old 07-15-2010, 10:59 AM
1999 C4 Cab 6 Speed
I guess I don't know enough about horns but don't the air horns just recharge with the built in compressor that comes with the kit? And, if you take a look at the Ferrari horn, it is the same set up.

Last edited by my996; 07-15-2010 at 11:15 AM.
Old 07-15-2010, 12:04 PM
thats what i thought

Originally Posted by my996
I guess I don't know enough about horns but don't the air horns just recharge with the built in compressor that comes with the kit? And, if you take a look at the Ferrari horn, it is the same set up.
But if you look at that amazon reviews for that product, someone said it runs out? I have no idea...but on the flipside, found this do hicky...would probably work, i'm thinking about trying it.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/FERRA...#ht_755wt_1167

Old 07-15-2010, 06:10 PM
KevinR is infamous around these parts
I will be replacing my horns with an all-in-one ultra compact air horn from Griot's Garage. Direct connection between the compressor and horns eliminates one major possible failure point.

The compressors for air horns don't "run out of air", they fail due to excessive moisture and/or rust.

Old 07-15-2010, 08:36 PM
Don
Don is a name known to allDon is a name known to allDon is a name known to allDon is a name known to allDon is a name known to allDon is a name known to all
Since we're on the subject. I've been wanting to replace my horn with one that sounds like the 911s of the 80's. Has anyone done that?

Old 07-15-2010, 10:53 PM
1999 C4 Cab 6 Speed
But if you look at that amazon reviews for that product, someone said it runs out? I have no idea...but on the flipside, found this do hicky...would probably work, i'm thinking about trying it.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/FERRA...#ht_755wt_1167
If I recall correctly, the amazon review said he did not initially connect the relay and that after he connected it, the first one he purchased worked like new.
Your find on Ebay sounds pretty good - when you try it out let me know what you think. Compare the sound of that one to this link ...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4E8loO1LPk

And then compare the sound to this Hella air horn installed on some guys car. I think the sound is very close to the Ferrari sound. Of course just my opinion, but curious as to what you think. http://www.scoobymods.com/hella-air-...ation-t18.html

Last edited by my996; 07-15-2010 at 11:21 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: C4S horn replacement