996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Question about the under hood shield

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-31-2010, 07:25 PM
Last Car is infamous around these parts
Question about the under hood shield

Hey Ya'll,

I wanted to get the " Das Schild " for the inside of my 996 hood and the folks at "Performance" show this part as 'out of stock'. I then went to the 'Das Schild' site and ask them what's up with not having the Schild for my 996 and Corrie at 'P1speed.com' told me that are waiting for "material"???

They do show they have the 'schild' for the Cayman, 997, boxstrer and even the 911 from 1974 to 1998..............what's up with the 996?

Why would they have 'material' for the 'Schild' for all the other Porsche's and not for the 996???

Anyone out there got one of these 'Schilds'? Is this something I really need for my 996?

Thanks for any thoughts on this matter.

Old 08-01-2010, 02:34 PM
ogun228 is infamous around these parts
I remember seeing this item, assuming it is the front trunk liner, somewhere on the 'net.
I'm assuming also that if it mattered that much, Porsche would have had it as a standard item.

Old 08-01-2010, 05:00 PM
Brando has much to be proud ofBrando has much to be proud ofBrando has much to be proud ofBrando has much to be proud ofBrando has much to be proud ofBrando has much to be proud ofBrando has much to be proud ofBrando has much to be proud of
Cool

Maybe because they have those already built and in stock, whereas they have to make one for your 996? They would need material to make it.

I guess it depends on what you normally carry in your trunk. I don't see a need for it in my application.

My wife would prob dent it trying to get out, with or without the shield.

Originally Posted by Last Car
Why would they have 'material' for the 'Schild' for all the other Porsche's and not for the 996???

Anyone out there got one of these 'Schilds'? Is this something I really need for my 996?

Thanks for any thoughts on this matter.

Old 08-01-2010, 09:14 PM
Grant P is a glorious beacon of lightGrant P is a glorious beacon of lightGrant P is a glorious beacon of lightGrant P is a glorious beacon of lightGrant P is a glorious beacon of lightGrant P is a glorious beacon of light
I personally dont think its something u need. But then again i dont know u. I think its expensive 200 bucks to prevent my trunk lid from getting damaged.....just don't over pack the trunk. I mean do u really put anything in there? If u do does it get anywhere near full? Also when u close the trunk i close it slowly which would prevent any damage. I would imagine that if u just let it fall that would be a problem...

I would say to save your money.

Old 08-01-2010, 09:19 PM
jcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond repute
I have one...great ....and I travel with lots in the trunk....I have seen dented trunks....

And no, I don't have anything to do with them. I went web direct...

Jeff

Old 08-01-2010, 09:35 PM
1999 C4 Cab 6 Speed
my996 is infamous around these parts
Wouldn't a nicely cut piece of thick neoprene work and look good too? Maybe some 3/4 inch stuff from here ...

http://www.closedcellfoams.com/neoprene.html

Last edited by my996; 08-01-2010 at 09:38 PM.
Old 08-02-2010, 05:47 AM
"my996" - Thanks for this info. I'm a big DIY kind of guy and this could be my next project. BTW, my wife and I use Axel for most of our trips so the trunk does get used alot, and I think a little padding will be helpful.
Thanks for everyone's input.

Old 08-02-2010, 09:09 AM
Redridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud of
I was bleeding my brakes and the trunk accidently closed on the power bleeder.... it left a dent, but was able to push the dent back into its place...

Now I have the shield and able to stuff the trunk with crap on track day..... worth every penny.... its very thin and light. Expensive, but its cheap insurance.

Old 08-02-2010, 11:50 AM
1999 C4 Cab 6 Speed
"my996" - Thanks for this info. I'm a big DIY kind of guy and this could be my next project. BTW, my wife and I use Axel for most of our trips so the trunk does get used alot, and I think a little padding will be helpful.
You're welcome. Let me know what you end up doing - I might copy your idea. Please take pic too. You might want to find out how thick the Das Shield is and use that as a reference point.

Old 08-02-2010, 11:51 AM
1999 C4 Cab 6 Speed
Originally Posted by Redridge
I was bleeding my brakes and the trunk accidently closed on the power bleeder.... it left a dent, but was able to push the dent back into its place...

Now I have the shield and able to stuff the trunk with crap on track day..... worth every penny.... its very thin and light. Expensive, but its cheap insurance.
How thin is it?

Old 08-02-2010, 06:09 PM
1999 C4 Cab 6 Speed
Take at look at the options here : http://www.classic9leathershop.com/H...t_Shields.html

Old 08-02-2010, 07:12 PM
Okay....this is great!!

1st. jcb-memphis - could you please take a couple of pictures of your schild, so I can see how thick it is and where the plastic plugs push into the inner hood (not trying to deal with 'copy-rights' here)- that would be great?

2nd. my996 - I think I'll get the Neoprene High Quality 3/8 thick sheet 80 inches by 48 inches and make a cover from it. Should be kind of easy to make a templet using cardboard then cutting the Neoprene and putting it inside the hood.

This could be a DYI for around $50 or so????

Thanks again for you input.
C'ya,

Old 08-03-2010, 02:49 PM
Redridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by my996
How thin is it?

less than a dime thick...

Old 08-03-2010, 03:51 PM
davebho is infamous around these parts
just curious, why?

just adds weight in my mind. if it's for sound deadening, wouldn't dynamat work better??

Old 08-04-2010, 11:22 AM
Weight isn't a problem, as there is a couple days worth of stuff in there, for a trip out of town. And the reason I'd like to have it is to protect the hood from something denting it from the inside.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Question about the under hood shield