996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

I don't own a Porsche yet...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-06-2010, 11:06 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by agz2010
I am, after all, over 60. In reality, most "chicks" are looking for younger guys with money! And, I AM a REALIST! Your advice does not fall on deaf ears. Thank you.
Not every woman is the same and each has a different perspective as to what makes them happy. Entering into the single world as a 60 year old widower is an adjustment and the car can be a happy thing for you .. even if you don't fuse its enjoyment with dating .

Women offer experiences in ones life which touch all sorts of thrills and emotions .
A Porsche 911 is a different type of experience --yet it is also something to cherish .

You waited 60 years . It's time to own this car for YOURSELF --the day you buy the Porsche is the beginning of memories in the making.

Old 08-06-2010, 11:15 PM
agz2010 is infamous around these parts
Oh, boy, don't I know it!!

I may not have seen it all yet, but I have seen a LOT! I do remember my late sweetie driving the 280ZX (1981) we owned back then! (I bought it new in San Jose.) I taught her to drive a stick in a Datsun PU back when we were students at SDSU.

Old 08-06-2010, 11:20 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
I may not have seen it all yet, but I have seen a LOT! I do remember my late sweetie driving the 280ZX (1981) we owned back then! (I bought it new in San Jose.) I taught her to drive a stick in a Datsun PU back when we were students at SDSU.
The 280Zx was the car i learned to drive a manual .
Have you driven a 997 yet?

Old 08-06-2010, 11:38 PM
Unfortunately, no.

The answer is no.
I was just looking at:

http://www.excellence-mag.com/classifieds/800

This one is near me.

Old 08-06-2010, 11:41 PM
I have to travel next week, however....

when I get back, I intend to pester the local dealers for some test drives.

Old 08-06-2010, 11:47 PM
Stick shift.

I learned to drive a manual using my dad's 1957 Ford Fairlane 500, black and red, with a 312cu Thunderbird engine. Darn, they don't make cars like that anymore. Before I retired, my employer had a few Toyota hybrids...wimps, I tell you!!!

O.K., I understand the example a public agency has to make, but still, compared to the F150 truck I had for a while...WIMPY!

Old 08-07-2010, 12:00 AM
The answer is no.
I was just looking at:

http://www.excellence-mag.com/classifieds/800

This one is near me.
My suggestion is to begin your search with 2006 . The 05 car looks great, has low miles --but 2005 was more prone to IMS as well as RMS problems . This is discussed in the 997 forum at length.

Also keep in mind that at the 55K price range there are a lot of shoppers so when you go searching you may find a bit more sales impatience than in the higher price range .

At 65K I was thinking either an 08 CPO "S" OR a 2009 base 997.
55 -60K ought to put you in an 07 "S".
50-55K ought to buya CPO 2006 car.

The warranty will be important (on an older car)
If you buy a car from a private owner make sure that you have an authorized Porsche dealership do a PPI and also request a DME scan to detect engine over rev history.

You can search indivdual dealership sites, auto trader ,cars.com to get an idea of available cars.

Last edited by yrralis1; 08-07-2010 at 12:03 AM.
Old 08-07-2010, 12:10 AM
I'm armed to the teeth!!

A thousand thanks for the advice. I don't think I've ever been this well armed with car info! Look out, here I come!

Seriously, thank you all very much. As I find prospects, I intend to show them to y'all. Cheers. It's getting late for me...you know how us seniors get (yawn)...time to go nye nye. Will check in tomorrow.

Old 08-07-2010, 12:24 AM
You happen to be in an expensive region.

In my opinion you want a car with low miles, no paint (or very minor touch up ) , clean DME with lower level over revs, CPO warranty, garage kept, one owner, non smoker with all service records -- at a good price.

55-65K ought to buy you a pristine car .. don't settle on a whim with an impulsive purchase . Don't let the test drive cloud the clarrity of how important it is to get everything right.
. It's better to have NO Porsche and save the money .. than the wrong Porsche .

Last edited by yrralis1; 08-07-2010 at 01:00 AM.
Old 08-07-2010, 08:36 AM
johnnyreb2010 is infamous around these parts
take your time

I didn't know where to post this question as I'm new to this site...
Which 911 would you recommend to a new buyer?
Let me tell you a little about myself: I'm retired (in my very early 60's), have no car payments (own a 2004 GMC 2500 crew cab and a 1991 Toyota Camry), am a widower (3+ years), and have since my university days wanted a 911! Do you see where I'm going with this? I need a chick magnet car. I mean, the GMC is good for going to the rodeo, but like I've just read in another thread here, "you only live once!" I have disposable income for something about $65K. So, it will have to be used, no? I don't want to become a mechanic, either. I would appreciate your advice. I'm a grown-up, so let me have it.

P.S. Another user at this site was giving some good advice about other websites like rennlist.com. I'll be going there in a couple of days to join.
agz2010, just remember your on a 996 forum, if you go on another forum the census might not be so much for the newer models 996-997, & if you do go with the newer model, just remember there will be some old porsche diehards that will say you don't have a REAL porsche, because it is a water cooled version, what made you want a porsche instead of a lambo, viper, ferrari or vette, porsches are a blast to drive, but definitely take your time & learn as much about them as you can,cause they're probably not like something you've ever driven before, but you can get all the help you want on these forums. good luck & enjoy!

Old 08-07-2010, 06:51 PM
Redridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud of
can you give us an idea what you are looking for?.... daily driver, tracking? $65k is a nice budget.... and you should buy the newest you can afford..... for me, I would get a gt3.

Old 08-07-2010, 07:25 PM
Good question.

Originally Posted by Redridge
can you give us an idea what you are looking for?.... daily driver, tracking? $65k is a nice budget.... and you should buy the newest you can afford..... for me, I would get a gt3.
Right now, I'm not sure I know! Gathering ideas and shopping, I guess.

I'm retired and would only drive it for fun. I would not drive, whatever I buy, in bad weather and have a garage to keep it in. (The Toyota will be kicked out! Ha!) I live in northern CA. Snow is not a problem.

65K is not firm, that is to say, finding a good, cheaper model is OK. I am not a tracker or don't want to spend my retirement puttering around in a mechanic's shop but I do understand the maintenance has to be done (as I do with my other vehicles, equipment, etc.). From reading other comments to my thread, many agree with you: "...you should buy the newest you can afford."

Thank you for your comments!

Old 08-11-2010, 06:52 PM
PoRsChE_ShIfTiN has a spectacular aura aboutPoRsChE_ShIfTiN has a spectacular aura aboutPoRsChE_ShIfTiN has a spectacular aura about
Rf5bpilot said it best! women don't care about turbo's!!! I say that all the time! I don't care if I impress another male with a turbo. I don't get in bed with them at night. So I could careless what they think? I say the same thing allllllllll the time Rf5bpilot!!!

Old 09-01-2010, 06:17 PM
dailydriver is infamous around these parts
I need an update... AGZ how goes the search?

Any interesting prospects on the horizon? Been on a few test drives?