996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

How are you suppose to enter a turn in 996?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-06-2010, 04:12 PM
trackjunkie is infamous around these parts

I have this highway onramp that I used to take in my m3 all the time. It's a downhill semi circle.

In the m3 I was able to enter the turn around 50mph and smoothly accelerate to 55-60 at the apex.

In the porsche I enter the turn around 40, but the front feels so light, and unsettling, but I can exit the turn at 65mph and apex earlier.

General tips on driving a 996 with no traction control or psm?

Old 08-06-2010, 04:57 PM
BiteEmNBeatEm has much to be proud ofBiteEmNBeatEm has much to be proud ofBiteEmNBeatEm has much to be proud ofBiteEmNBeatEm has much to be proud ofBiteEmNBeatEm has much to be proud ofBiteEmNBeatEm has much to be proud ofBiteEmNBeatEm has much to be proud ofBiteEmNBeatEm has much to be proud ofBiteEmNBeatEm has much to be proud of
with the BLINKER ON !!!

Old 08-07-2010, 08:47 AM
steepsnow is infamous around these parts
...before the turn, add a little speed allowing you brake a little harder to get some weight on the front tires and settle the front as you turn the wheels; rather than "coasting" as you turn the steering wheel.

Old 08-07-2010, 10:00 AM
1999 C4 Cab 6 Speed
my996 is infamous around these parts
And when in the turn, apply an increasing amount of power to keep the traction to the rear wheels.

Old 08-07-2010, 10:28 AM
Brando has much to be proud ofBrando has much to be proud ofBrando has much to be proud ofBrando has much to be proud ofBrando has much to be proud ofBrando has much to be proud ofBrando has much to be proud ofBrando has much to be proud of
Cool

Get your brakeing done before you turn in, apex and then apply the gas accordingly to power out.

You can control the cas entire attitude with the throttle.

It is all about tire grip and weight transfer.

Last edited by Brando; 08-07-2010 at 10:30 AM.
Old 08-07-2010, 04:50 PM
Brad Bedell is a splendid one to beholdBrad Bedell is a splendid one to beholdBrad Bedell is a splendid one to beholdBrad Bedell is a splendid one to beholdBrad Bedell is a splendid one to beholdBrad Bedell is a splendid one to beholdBrad Bedell is a splendid one to beholdBrad Bedell is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Brando
Get your brakeing done before you turn in, apex and then apply the gas accordingly to power out.

Pretty much it. One thing though, start off slow and increase speed a little each time as you practice this. The best place to practice is an autocross. You're simply not going fast enough to damage much if you mess up. On a road course, if you mess up, it can cost you.

Old 08-07-2010, 05:14 PM
GT-S is infamous around these parts
As well as the tips posted here, you may find your four wheel alignment is 'out'. This should be done every two years, so if it hasn't been done for a long time I'd suggest considering a four wheel alignment.

Old 08-08-2010, 03:30 PM
SF996 is infamous around these parts
I think that the autocross idea is a good one. After a day on the course I knew what understeer felt like in my car and also knew better where the limits of grip on my car were. Remember, your M3 had a front engine and would certainly feel more planted up front but that doesn't mean your Porsche is going to let go. As long as you're smooth on the throttle, you should be able to feel when the front is starting to slide and adjust for it.

Old 08-11-2010, 08:56 AM
savannah996 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by trackjunkie

In the porsche I enter the turn around 40, but the front feels so light,
thats cause it is.

the limits of the porsche must be learned. whats wrong with a 65 mph exit?

Old 08-11-2010, 09:48 AM
Redridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud of
slow in fast out.... sounds like that is what you are doing. So its all good.

Old 08-11-2010, 12:19 PM
GriffC4S is infamous around these parts
No problem in my C4S since it has 4 wheel drive, the likelyhood of it spinning out at 65MPH is practically impossible. I have taken on and off ramps at at least 65mph going in and coming out all the time. I love the 4 wheel drive, why do you think they put AWD on the Turbo and the Carrera GT.

Old 08-11-2010, 01:04 PM
GT-S is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by GriffC4S
...they put AWD on the Turbo and the Carrera GT.
The Carrera GT is RWD...

Old 08-11-2010, 04:55 PM
GriffC4S is infamous around these parts
Angry

Originally Posted by GT-S
The Carrera GT is RWD...
You are absolutley correct, my mistake. Maybe that is why so many Carrera GTs have been crashed ( one fatality at Fontana Raceway and a horrible accident in Huntington Beach, CA), with inexperienced drivers trying to go too fast around corners and losing the rear end in the process.

Old 08-12-2010, 08:41 PM
crazyed71 is infamous around these parts

"Pedal to the metal"

Old 08-12-2010, 10:17 PM
grdriver is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Brando

+1 , trick is to gently get on the gas cause you dont want to upset the balance of the car. if you get on it to hard, you might get rattled and then if you lift off the gas then you are screwed. smooth on that gas, i spun out once trying to correct a corner exit.

Then lastly a 911 is a much harder car to master than the M3, 911 takes some time to get comfortable were the M3 is much more easier. Thats why lots of the guys who own 911 also own 944's to start with

Last edited by grdriver; 08-12-2010 at 10:23 PM. Reason: correction

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: How are you suppose to enter a turn in 996?