996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Auto Dimming Mirrors

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-07-2010, 10:57 PM
Grant P is a glorious beacon of lightGrant P is a glorious beacon of lightGrant P is a glorious beacon of lightGrant P is a glorious beacon of lightGrant P is a glorious beacon of lightGrant P is a glorious beacon of light
Auto Dimming Mirrors

Its it possible to install a auto dimming rear view mirror?

What part #s do i need?

Is it easy?

Thanks guys

Old 09-13-2010, 12:56 PM
cmg
cmg is infamous around these parts
It is certainly possible to do so & there are several alternatives. If you go the Porsche route look for an NOS techart autodimming mirror kit. This after market Porsche kit will use the stock windshield mount & includes a wiring harness & relay. The factory dimming kit ordered with the car uses a larger windshield mount that has a hole in the center for the factory rain sensor. It also connects to a couple of modules & to the left hand side mirror which also dims. There is also a techart rain sensor which mounts to the side of the stock or techart dimming mirror. For a complete description go to renntech.org & look for my posts under cmgleason. There are a number of things to be aware of especially if you want to get the mirror from a salvage yard. I tried both ways & in the end ended up with a factory dimming interior/exterior mirror, techart wiring harness & rain sensor. Techart is the way to go. As a safety check be sure you have comprehensive ins. coverage on the car in case you break the windshield trying to get the windshield mount off. That would be necessay if you went completely after market as the Porsche mount does not fit any of the aftermarket kits.

Old 09-14-2010, 06:13 AM
Wheelman is infamous around these parts
I went with Gentex and was able to use the factory button on the windshield. Gentex had amber lighting with compass, auto dimming, and garage opener that fitted all my needs.

They even have the new mirrors that have a built in screen if you install rear-mounted backup camera.

Old 09-14-2010, 08:07 AM
cmg
cmg is infamous around these parts
Dimming mirror

Wheelman Would you post the model # of that Gentex mirror as that is the answer for anyone with a stock non dimming mirror. Also I see you have a rain sensor was that a Porsche part? Thanks cmg

Old 09-15-2010, 05:17 AM
Wheelman is infamous around these parts
Part# 50-GENK45A w/Amber lighting

They come in a wide range of colors to match your vehicles interior and they are oem in a lot of production vehicles.

The rain sensor I have is a Porsche part purchased from SunCoast and I love it. Don't have to constantly adjust the intermitent wiper to match the rain's intensity. Installation was simple but I had my radio shop install it along with the wiring for the mirror at the same time.