996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

996 E brake question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-11-2010, 08:23 PM
nijoma has much to be proud ofnijoma has much to be proud ofnijoma has much to be proud ofnijoma has much to be proud ofnijoma has much to be proud ofnijoma has much to be proud ofnijoma has much to be proud ofnijoma has much to be proud ofnijoma has much to be proud of
996 E brake question

Is this a DIY? Are there special tools or is it like swapping a shifter?

Old 08-12-2010, 07:22 AM
davebho is infamous around these parts
are you sure you want to replace the whole thing?

So I made the mistake...i replaced the entire e-brake assembly following the below instructions to remove the entire center consol, and I found removing that one side piece wasn't enough room for removal. At the end, i realized that the handle can be pulled apart, and a new handle can be put in...so if there's something wrong with it, and you're replacing then fine, but if you just want like a carbon handle, then replace just the handle...my .02, good luck.

http://www.macarbon.com/install_guid...on%20Guide.pdf

Old 08-12-2010, 08:00 AM
nijoma has much to be proud ofnijoma has much to be proud ofnijoma has much to be proud ofnijoma has much to be proud ofnijoma has much to be proud ofnijoma has much to be proud ofnijoma has much to be proud ofnijoma has much to be proud ofnijoma has much to be proud of
Thanks

I was just looking at a nicer looking one, so just the handle. That is a DIY?

Old 08-12-2010, 09:51 AM
davebho is infamous around these parts
totally

pull baby pull! pull forward and that handle comes right off. And instead of replacing the whole assembly, find one of these handles...

http://www.suncoastparts.com/product..._Code=996knobs

Old 08-16-2010, 06:44 PM
Installed today

Got a e-brake handle in the classifieds on here from 150shot, great guy and the ebrake has the aluminum handle with porsche on it. It is a nice upgrade and the install was very easy. I replaced my center console a couple of months ago so removing that was easy since it was done before. The e-brake is only 4 bolts and 2 cables, if you study the set up before you remove it the install goes very smooth. The only trouble is the nut under the brake lever is a little tricky to get to, just used a small wrench on that one instead of a ratchet.

Old 08-17-2010, 12:07 AM
150shot is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by nijoma
Got a e-brake handle in the classifieds on here from 150shot, great guy and the ebrake has the aluminum handle with porsche on it. It is a nice upgrade and the install was very easy. I replaced my center console a couple of months ago so removing that was easy since it was done before. The e-brake is only 4 bolts and 2 cables, if you study the set up before you remove it the install goes very smooth. The only trouble is the nut under the brake lever is a little tricky to get to, just used a small wrench on that one instead of a ratchet.
Good to hear install went well, I went the lazy route and hada shop install the center console, e-brake, and shifter changed at once. At least I went for it all! LOL I would of probably messed up the install anyway

Same goes for Nijoma for dealing any transactions, went flawless with no problems!

Amazing what small details will do for our interior.