996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Suggestions on how to get the car up on four jack stands

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-07-2010, 08:44 AM
boochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond repute
Suggestions on how to get the car up on four jack stands

Will be sending in the wheels to Champion down in FLA soon to get redone, so since I don't have another set of wheels, I will need to get the car up on four jack stands. Anyone have suggestions (preferrably with pictures) of how to get the car up on four jack stands. I'm sure other folks would be interested in seeing this as well. Thanks.

Old 09-07-2010, 10:22 AM
Sneaky Pete has a spectacular aura aboutSneaky Pete has a spectacular aura about
Don't have pics but...lift the car from one of the rear jack points (doesn't matter what side). Slip a jack stand under the front jack point on the same side. That's one wheel off the ground. Do the same to the other side. The car actually will teeter totter. Now both fronts are on stands. Go to the rear of the car and place your jack under under the area just back of the oil pan. Its pretty solid buts its a small foot print. Jack the rear up and slip a stand at the rear jack points. All 4 off the ground. In getting it down just do the reverse. Rear than front.

Last edited by Sneaky Pete; 09-07-2010 at 10:26 AM.
Old 09-07-2010, 10:49 AM
Brando has much to be proud ofBrando has much to be proud ofBrando has much to be proud ofBrando has much to be proud ofBrando has much to be proud ofBrando has much to be proud ofBrando has much to be proud ofBrando has much to be proud of
Cool

That's the way I did it.........

But, if your motor mounts are old and weak, it could cause them to fail.

Old 09-07-2010, 11:15 AM
boochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond repute
Thanks Pete but like Terry said that is my fear.

Old 09-07-2010, 12:07 PM
himself is a jewel in the roughhimself is a jewel in the roughhimself is a jewel in the rough
Try renntech.

http://www.renntech.org/forums/index...on-jackstands/

Edit: get front on stands and then lift rear from here:
Name:  Jackpoint.JPG
Views: 2952
Size:  131.4 KB

Or lift from factory mounting spots and put the jackstands on the cross brace or frame mounting points as shown below [I put mine on the red circles. There are two holes in this beam, just put the stand right between them].
Name:  JackStands.jpg
Views: 2785
Size:  198.6 KB

Name:  Jackstand2.jpg
Views: 2691
Size:  132.0 KB

-td

Last edited by himself; 09-07-2010 at 12:37 PM.
Old 09-07-2010, 12:40 PM
Sneaky Pete has a spectacular aura aboutSneaky Pete has a spectacular aura about
Good thread himself (is that third person?). Looks like I was on the mark except it was a good point about the orientation of the jackstand itseld from front to back. Holy Geeze those Renntech guys are a handful....did you read the whole thing?

Old 09-07-2010, 01:13 PM
himself is a jewel in the roughhimself is a jewel in the roughhimself is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by Sneaky Pete
Good thread himself (is that third person?). Looks like I was on the mark except it was a good point about the orientation of the jackstand itseld from front to back. Holy Geeze those Renntech guys are a handful....did you read the whole thing?
I read it years ago. Luckily I saved the link as a favorite. Comes in handy

-td

Old 09-07-2010, 02:15 PM
FANTASTIC himself!!!! Thank you sir. +1 Rep Point coming each of your way.

Old 09-07-2010, 02:45 PM
Ok, so I've read through the whole thread on rennlist, and am a little scared to try and do this from the engine. Even if it is only a few minutes or less. Not to mention, the car is really low. Any other suggestions? Thanks.

Old 09-07-2010, 03:04 PM
Get a car lift? Or a real strong couple of dudes to pick it up and than you slide the jacks under?

Old 09-07-2010, 03:40 PM
Brando has much to be proud ofBrando has much to be proud ofBrando has much to be proud ofBrando has much to be proud ofBrando has much to be proud ofBrando has much to be proud ofBrando has much to be proud ofBrando has much to be proud of
Cool

This works great.......jack up from normal rear positions, place fronts then put rear stands here as shown.

Or lift from factory mounting spots and put the jackstands on the cross brace or frame mounting points as shown below [I put mine on the red circles. There are two holes in this beam, just put the stand right between them].

Originally Posted by boochook
Ok, so I've read through the whole thread on rennlist, and am a little scared to try and do this from the engine. Even if it is only a few minutes or less. Not to mention, the car is really low. Any other suggestions? Thanks.

Old 09-08-2010, 12:58 PM
mathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond repute
There are also jack points in front of the rear tires where you can place the stands. They are the same spot you used to jack up when placing the front stands. I've lifted mine by the engine many times w/o any problem.

Old 09-08-2010, 04:07 PM
Dharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud of
When I need to get my car up on four stands I use a piece of 2x12 about 12"-14" long on top of my jack. Then put the jack under the oil pan. The 2x12 spreads the load out. One the front (I have a C4) I put the 2x12 jack under the sub-frame and raise it that way. My car is low enough that on the front I have to raise it a little with second jack to get the first one under the car. I have done this many times and no problems so far.

Old 09-09-2010, 08:10 AM
Dharn55....that's interesting and I should have thought about this load spreading. I was going to do something similar with my 420lb rifle safe when positioning it in the master closet. Didn't end up doing that, however, the point is the load spread is a good idea. Is there any way that if you get a chance to take pictures and point out exactly how you do this? I'm a visual person and want to make sure I just use the right equipment, in the right places....Vid and Pix work best....Thank you my friend. +1 Rep point coming your way.

Old 09-09-2010, 10:55 PM
Lerxst is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by boochook
Was very hesitant myself before trying it. Have put it on stands about 10 times, following Renntech's advice, without issue.