996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

SUBWOOFERS BOX DIY...anyone can help?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-22-2010, 10:04 PM
julian914 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by gu9cci
I see julian.make sense.what about wood box?
The wood box is nice and you can get the same sound from wood or fiberglass if done correctly. I went with a 10" and fiberglass so I could put the seat down and not be able to see the speaker. I like to hide everything if it is possible. Let me know if you want me to make you one.

Old 09-22-2010, 10:16 PM
gu9cci has a reputation beyond reputegu9cci has a reputation beyond reputegu9cci has a reputation beyond reputegu9cci has a reputation beyond reputegu9cci has a reputation beyond reputegu9cci has a reputation beyond reputegu9cci has a reputation beyond reputegu9cci has a reputation beyond reputegu9cci has a reputation beyond reputegu9cci has a reputation beyond reputegu9cci has a reputation beyond repute
yes...i want two sub boxes.I was just thinking MDF box would be easyer to make.

Old 09-22-2010, 11:02 PM
julian914 is infamous around these parts
this is the pic of the amp location i was talking about...

Attached Images  
Old 09-23-2010, 09:49 AM
dailydriver is infamous around these parts
The big advantages of fiberglass are the size and weight.

A typical MDF box is going to be larger than a fiberglass box to achieve the same amount of internal airspace. With a wood box, you are unable to conform to the curves as well as glass will. Fiberglass will allow you to make use of almost every cubic inch of available space.

A box made of MDF will typically be twice as heavy as fiberglass or more. For the size of enclosures you are talking about it is only a difference of a few pounds, but if you are counting calories in the 996 every bit helps right...

In the past I have sprayed the inside of the boxes with liquid dynamat, and done a coat or two of the tiger hair body filler to actually add a little bit of weight, and cut down on the overall resonance of the box itself. Even with these weight adding steps the boxes still end up lighter than MDF and look a lot cooler when wrapped in vinyl or painted.

We did a box for my Friends '88 911 that housed two 10" Boston Pro subs, and replaced both of the back seats. The bezel around the subs was painted to match the exterior of the car. It looked amazing, was insanely loud, and musically very accurate. It could be unbolted and removed fairly easily for track events etc. I will see if I can dig up some of the pictures. We built that car close to 10 years ago.

Last edited by dailydriver; 09-23-2010 at 09:51 AM.
Old 09-23-2010, 09:08 PM
gu9cci has a reputation beyond reputegu9cci has a reputation beyond reputegu9cci has a reputation beyond reputegu9cci has a reputation beyond reputegu9cci has a reputation beyond reputegu9cci has a reputation beyond reputegu9cci has a reputation beyond reputegu9cci has a reputation beyond reputegu9cci has a reputation beyond reputegu9cci has a reputation beyond reputegu9cci has a reputation beyond repute
that would be great.i think two 10" are too much but someone might like that.I loking for nice tight bass even with top down.Another think is that with two subs i need ad one more amp to feet the system properly