996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

sway bar end drop link installation question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-15-2010, 05:01 PM
geetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant future
sway bar end drop link installation question

Is it simply remove the top and bottom bolt and install? For some reason, I'm thinking they have to be loaded? These are nonadjustable OEM's.

Basically I've had an alignment done a few months back and all was fine.
A few weeks ago, my steering wheel is slightly crooked to the right just enough to annoy me. At higher speeds, the front end feels a little loose like it wanders? just a little and at very low speed there is a clunk on the front over bumps and such.
Newer srings and shocks were installed a while back so that parts all new. Tires have been balanced 2-3 times at different shops and no problem there.
I just checked the drop links and the connecting rubber portion is ripped and hanging loose but can't tell if the there is any bends.
I'm hoping the new drop links and a new alignment will help.

Old 10-17-2010, 10:41 AM
jwhipple is just really nicejwhipple is just really nicejwhipple is just really nicejwhipple is just really nicejwhipple is just really nice
apparently there is a sweet spot between loaded and unloaded... fyi

Old 10-17-2010, 12:50 PM
John L is infamous around these parts
drop links front and rear just unbolt and bolt in. Real simple. I raised mine and removed the wheels so I could clean it up along the way and take my time. It will eliminate the speed bump clunks you are hearing with the ripped/loose endlinks and it will not need alignment unless it is out of line currently.

I also used the non adjustable OEM units. Should have done them when I did ROW M030 but for some reason I waited and did them six months later.

Old 10-17-2010, 02:11 PM
geetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant future
thanks for the reply. I know I don't need to get an alignment but my steering wheel is tilted to the right...not sure why? So I want to get the alignment checked while getting it straightened.

Old 10-23-2010, 06:29 PM
What a difference. With the front end up in the air, it literally took about 10min per side.
On both front drop links, the top end that connects to the struts, were busted pretty bad. It looked like I was basically driving with the front sways disconnected.
Anyways, the clunking etc etc is all gone.

Old 10-25-2010, 08:51 AM
John L is infamous around these parts
glad it worked out, another item that we all would have done sooner if we knew how easy it was going to be. Now you have to decide what the next job/mod will be.

Old 10-25-2010, 09:33 AM
Rear drop links Yes I know....should have done all 4...