996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Early Model 996's Frequent Engine Replacement?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-07-2011, 07:15 PM
Steve's 996 has much to be proud ofSteve's 996 has much to be proud ofSteve's 996 has much to be proud ofSteve's 996 has much to be proud ofSteve's 996 has much to be proud ofSteve's 996 has much to be proud ofSteve's 996 has much to be proud ofSteve's 996 has much to be proud of
Just remember whatever year you buy that all these cars engines can grenade at any given time. Check the turbo forum, they have issues with motors. The 997 forums have motor issues too. I have an early 99, no leaks, no rattles, and 80k. Just remember some of these cars are 12-13 years old. After 12-13 years of multiple owners, lease returns, etc.....some of them have been poorly maintained. Buy something beaten on that long and something has to give.

Old 03-07-2011, 07:54 PM
Kjeld is infamous around these parts
Point taken and would expand. From my experience and conversations with others that have replaced their engines, beating on them has little to do with it. Mine was perfectly maintained and owned by 1.5 senior citizens (original owner was in his 60's. I am only an AARP senior). Both of us were religious about oil changes, and properly warming up the engine and NEVER coming close to red lining. Cooked at 33k.

I don't think you could make that happen to a Kia unless you tried awfully hard.

Old 03-09-2011, 11:25 AM
geetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by Kjeld
NEVER coming close to red lining. Cooked at 33k.
Why? I think cars need to be redlined...often...especially these cars...

Old 03-09-2011, 12:01 PM
Ah, that must be it. Not enough red lining. No wonder the sleave slipped out of the case at 33k. Perfectly normal.

Old 03-09-2011, 03:59 PM
Steve's 996 has much to be proud ofSteve's 996 has much to be proud ofSteve's 996 has much to be proud ofSteve's 996 has much to be proud ofSteve's 996 has much to be proud ofSteve's 996 has much to be proud ofSteve's 996 has much to be proud ofSteve's 996 has much to be proud of
I agree that "redline" issues aren't issues. From the information I have seen over the years, most were issues with porosity, sleeves slipping and the IMS bearing. The majority of motors that failed were low mileage units, and for reasons that Porsche won't address, were design and materials issues. I for one believe that older low mileage units still present a risk, but some of us with the higher mileage units have beaten the odds.

Old 03-09-2011, 07:09 PM
Originally Posted by Steve's 996
I agree that "redline" issues aren't issues. From the information I have seen over the years, most were issues with porosity, sleeves slipping and the IMS bearing. The majority of motors that failed were low mileage units, and for reasons that Porsche won't address, were design and materials issues. I for one believe that older low mileage units still present a risk, but some of us with the higher mileage units have beaten the odds.
To harm a motor with too low rpms is pretty hard to do. I cannot imagine anyone who would purchase a Porsche would fall victim to that. Maybe too lazy to change the oil or too dumb warm up the car before running up RPM, but not lugging a Porsche.

You might believe that hitting the rev limiter is not harmful, but can doing it help your engine last? Are the metal surfaces becoming harder from friction and heat? Hard to imagine. Just because the engines power curve is in higher rpm ranges, does not mean the cars "like to rev". As if you are hurting them by not driving them near redline.

I have read the same thing Steve mentions about the sleeves and cases. In 2002 the sleeve was notched differently as well? I also believe that the low mileage early 996's might well be more at risk than higher mileage cars. This is why I have focused on cars with motors replaced after 2003. Not surprisingly, many were. Ancedotally, seems to be in the 30-50k range.

Old 03-10-2011, 11:48 AM
Byprodriver is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Kjeld
To harm a motor with too low rpms is pretty hard to do. I cannot imagine anyone who would purchase a Porsche would fall victim to that. Maybe too lazy to change the oil or too dumb warm up the car before running up RPM, but not lugging a Porsche.

You might believe that hitting the rev limiter is not harmful, but can doing it help your engine last? Are the metal surfaces becoming harder from friction and heat? Hard to imagine. Just because the engines power curve is in higher rpm ranges, does not mean the cars "like to rev". As if you are hurting them by not driving them near redline.

I have read the same thing Steve mentions about the sleeves and cases. In 2002 the sleeve was notched differently as well? I also believe that the low mileage early 996's might well be more at risk than higher mileage cars. This is why I have focused on cars with motors replaced after 2003. Not surprisingly, many were. Ancedotally, seems to be in the 30-50k range.
The object of the game is to keep oil pressure up once your engine is at operating temp. (180+) but to linger @ 7000 rpm area is a test the Porsche rod bolts are not qualified to take.

Old 03-10-2011, 02:51 PM
RugRunner is infamous around these parts
I have a 2003 C2 that just rolled over 21k miles. Bought it in December. I had a little oil "wetness" under the car. No drops hitting the pavement, though. As a preventative action, I now have it in the shop recieving a new LN Engineering IMS, RMS, Air/Oil Seperator, chain tensioner and spark plugs. Lot of $ for prevention? Yes. But if I can keep it for a couple of years and not worry to death every single time I turn the key, I'm happy. We don't drive these things because we have to, right?

Old 03-10-2011, 03:26 PM
From what I have heard, the second generation 996 motors (2002+) are an order of magnitude more reliable. Tho seeping oil at 21k is troubling. I hope you do not mind my asking but, what will this preventative investment set you back?

Old 03-10-2011, 03:37 PM
It'll run me about $3k when its all said and done. Plugs aren't cheap, either. I'm attributing the seeping oil to likely be an RMS issue. Again, no drops on the ground, just moist underneath. My thought process is that it's a relatively clean car, nice interior, low miles, Porsche Sport Exhaust. For the age, it's a half decent specimen. I worry excessively about the IMS thing (scared mostly by this website) and just figured I'd rather do it, be done with it, and enjoy the car. It was to the point that I'd pull into my garage, let the car idle and start to cool down a little and wonder if every little tick or noise from cooiling down was the dreaded IMS monster lurking... Unecessary...but oh well... My Porsche tech is pretty thorough and I'll feel good when I get the thumbs up from him.

Old 03-10-2011, 04:30 PM
Smart dude! Sounds like a nice car too. After mine blew up, I told myself I would never own another without a drivetrain warranty. Your preventive maintenance is less than 2 years of a warranty. I'll bet you will be fine.

Old 03-11-2011, 06:19 AM
I'm thinking I will be. LN Engineering even gives a 12mo/12k warranty on the bearing when it's installed as a preventative action. I'm just exited to get it back and go driving. Probably going to take a trip down to the Tail of the Dragon.

Old 03-11-2011, 07:22 AM
DeskJob1 is infamous around these parts
sorry for in-between tread question but what~~? there are problems with 997 and turbos too? are the problems anything like those reported with 996? engine failure??
Should I not lust after 997TT and pray for 996 that I have now?

Old 03-11-2011, 08:18 AM
Tpup is a name known to allTpup is a name known to allTpup is a name known to allTpup is a name known to allTpup is a name known to allTpup is a name known to all
I've had a 00 and an 02, both had trans replaced, neither had any engine work at all.

Roy

Old 03-11-2011, 08:19 AM
From what I can gather, every car has its quirks. The early non-turbo 3.4 996's were probably the most problematic gen. I think it's safe to say that you're better off with a TT vs N/A in most of the 996 generations, same year. The IMS isn't a prevalent (or even existing) issue in the TTs because the motors are different and there's no IMS at all in the TTs. On the grand scheme of things, pertaining to reilability, it's: stock 4cyl toyota camry (or equvalent)>996 TT>996 N/A. You want reliability, get a Honda/Toyota, etc. You want a driver's car, get a Porsche 996. You have another $15k to blow, get the turbo.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Early Model 996's Frequent Engine Replacement?