996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Early Model 996's Frequent Engine Replacement?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-11-2011, 08:54 AM
RugRunner is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Tpup
I've had a 00 and an 02, both had trans replaced, neither had any engine work at all.

Roy
Roy, what mileage did you have your transmissions replaced at? Did you do much track/DE?

Last edited by RugRunner; 03-11-2011 at 08:55 AM. Reason: (typo)
Old 03-11-2011, 09:27 AM
tarzancoe is infamous around these parts
Another way of looking at it:

- Let's assume, as posted before, that the engine will break between 100k and 200k miles, for sure.
- Now, let's assume that your engine pops at 33k miles. In this case, you are spending what, 15k in a LN engine if you want to be "safe", right? And, that engine will last you for.....? more than 200k? doubtful, and for sure unproven.

So, instead of preventing it, let your engine run its course and not spending $15k in preventive measures, which is how much an LN engine is due to have to change the cylinder sleeves for NicKies among other things. See how long your original engine lasts, and then spend the money when it pops without obsessing about it. If you keep the car long enough, yes you would spend the money to 'buy yourself" another 100k as part of cost of ownership.

IMS upgrades make sense because it is very inexpensive by comparison.

Old 03-11-2011, 09:31 AM
alpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by DeskJob1
sorry for in-between tread question but what~~? there are problems with 997 and turbos too? are the problems anything like those reported with 996? engine failure??
Should I not lust after 997TT and pray for 996 that I have now?
996 GT3 and TT models didn't exhibit the IMS issues like the others. 997.2 NA models is when the IMS isn't an issue. 997.1 NA still had IMS issues. Either way, if you have to worry about it this much to affect having fun with it, this isn't the car for you.

Old 03-11-2011, 10:16 AM
Dharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud of
Contrary to what RugRunner said all TT's until the 9A1 engines came out in 2009 had IMS shafts. However the design of the engine in the TT's was completely different than the 996 non-turbo. The TT's were derived from the old air-cooled engines and the IMS was completely different in design and had pressure fed bearings.

Old 03-11-2011, 12:28 PM
RugRunner is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Dharn55
Contrary to what RugRunner said all TT's until the 9A1 engines came out in 2009 had IMS shafts. However the design of the engine in the TT's was completely different than the 996 non-turbo. The TT's were derived from the old air-cooled engines and the IMS was completely different in design and had pressure fed bearings.

I know just enough to get in trouble...or make a clown of myself. Dharn55 is the voice of technical wisdom coming from above, helping guys like me learn. Thanks, Dharn!!

kyle

Old 03-12-2011, 12:31 PM
Byprodriver is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by tarzancoe
Another way of looking at it:

- Let's assume, as posted before, that the engine will break between 100k and 200k miles, for sure.
- Now, let's assume that your engine pops at 33k miles. In this case, you are spending what, 15k in a LN engine if you want to be "safe", right? And, that engine will last you for.....? more than 200k? doubtful, and for sure unproven.

So, instead of preventing it, let your engine run its course and not spending $15k in preventive measures, which is how much an LN engine is due to have to change the cylinder sleeves for NicKies among other things. See how long your original engine lasts, and then spend the money when it pops without obsessing about it. If you keep the car long enough, yes you would spend the money to 'buy yourself" another 100k as part of cost of ownership.

IMS upgrades make sense because it is very inexpensive by comparison.
Why delay enjoying the extra 40+ ft.lbs. torque from the big bore LN sleeves? Do the "preventative" upgrades now & it may go 200k miles & the extra Smiles are guaranteed!

Old 09-29-2011, 02:58 PM
Parkcity911 is infamous around these parts
Are all the 2001 engines better off than the 99 or 00's? Or are there certain in service dates that they beefed up the IMS? Thanks.

Old 09-30-2011, 11:49 AM
logray is infamous around these partslogray is infamous around these parts
Actually Porsche "downgraded" the IMS bearing somewhere between 2000 and 2001. The original IMS bearing was dual row and has a higher load rating than later cars. Porsche went to a single row bearing in or around 2001 to 2002. Sometime during 2005 they went to a much larger unservicable (without engine tear down) bearing, with similar load capabilities to the original dual row bearing.

Of course, a retrofit bearing from LNE remains to be the highest load rated bearing the consumer can purchase.

So in some respects, the early 996's in 1999-2001 range are "beefier" than the later model year cars.

Here is the best read on the subject:

http://www.lnengineering.com/ims.html

Old 06-14-2012, 02:19 PM
hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !
There is someone in Spain that has replaced the bearing with a ceramic / hybrid helicopter bearing that allows oil to flow through and thus guarantees lubrication. Look under 996 forum . The title of the thread is "The ultimate IMS Upgrade" .

And here is the website that talks about this upgrade.

http://www.insaroims.com/pedidos.php

Last edited by hroussard; 06-14-2012 at 02:30 PM.
Old 06-18-2012, 12:10 PM
911hawk is infamous around these parts
I've read on here that you can decode your VIN numbers to make apparent any issues with the IMS? Is this truly possible? It seems a little far fetched but I am incredibly nervous about my '99 with 60k developing these issues.

Old 06-18-2012, 01:33 PM
stephan_porsche is infamous around these parts
At 106,000 Miles my engine went (cracked heads). Done a total engine rebuild with new heads. Ton of other mods already done to the car and engine.

Old 06-20-2012, 09:53 AM
slowlude22 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by 911hawk
I've read on here that you can decode your VIN numbers to make apparent any issues with the IMS? Is this truly possible? It seems a little far fetched but I am incredibly nervous about my '99 with 60k developing these issues.
I have a 99 with 145k and never had an issue. It seems to be luck of the draw. Enjoy the car.

Old 06-21-2012, 10:25 AM
machbx is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by RRhumper
The 1999 was the worst year to buy a 996 I went through 2 engine's the 3.4 platform is horrible, I'm currently tryin to replace it to the X-51 motor 3.6 or 3.8.
Sorry but I have heard just the opposite - the the early 3.4's had the double row bearing which was better - I have also heard (lately) that higher miles is better - I guess the idea being that at 70k on the clock if the bearing was going to be problem it would have already done so.

Old 06-21-2012, 10:28 AM
machbx is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by 911hawk
No, I have not heard by VIN - but I have heard that you can by engine number - that's just what people say - bc the want to feel better - there is no way to know - single race - double race 3.4 or 3.6 - doesn't matter - my formula is "nothing w and S" and s tells me that someone wants to race it - but I am the only person that drives their c4 like one of the little german autobahn ladies.

Old 06-21-2012, 10:58 AM
Fozzybear is a glorious beacon of lightFozzybear is a glorious beacon of lightFozzybear is a glorious beacon of lightFozzybear is a glorious beacon of lightFozzybear is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by machbx
Sorry but I have heard just the opposite - the the early 3.4's had the double row bearing which was better - I have also heard (lately) that higher miles is better - I guess the idea being that at 70k on the clock if the bearing was going to be problem it would have already done so.
While I agree that the evidence suggests that the dual row IMS bearing was more robust than the single row replacement, this is an easy to replace component. There were other changes to the 3.6, such as modifications to composition of the alloys used in the cylinder sleeves (reduce D-chunk failures) and a beefier crankshaft.

All in all I would welcome a real analysis on which rev is more reliable, but I doubt Porsche will be forthcoming with the data.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Early Model 996's Frequent Engine Replacement?