996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Anyone running their factory radio with iphone/ipod?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-28-2010, 08:40 AM
white99c2 is a glorious beacon of lightwhite99c2 is a glorious beacon of lightwhite99c2 is a glorious beacon of lightwhite99c2 is a glorious beacon of lightwhite99c2 is a glorious beacon of light
I went to Best Buy and had them install an iSimple TranzIt. It was $139 and another few buck for parts and labor, final cost was $196 out the door.
The iSimple is a wired FM Modulator that has an iPod power cord to charge the unit. If I didn't know better I would swear it was a direct connect to the radio, it sounds as good if not better than the CD player and there is NO STATIC at all. In between songs there is dead silence.

Old 10-28-2010, 10:33 AM
Millenium_009 is infamous around these parts
Thumbs up I am...

I am using one of the FM antenna hookups in my 2000 with a PCM-1 head unit.
I think it works and sounds great.
My iphone 4 sits snuggly in a dock mounted on a Kuda.

It took me <1hour to install, once I had my parts and a plan.

When I get home I will post the pictures and the parts.

Old 10-28-2010, 04:06 PM
pictures of install

here are two pics of the unit and install

Attached Images  
Old 10-28-2010, 04:07 PM
other pic

Attached Images  
Old 10-28-2010, 04:28 PM
alpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond repute
The main and biggest difference between some of the ones mentioned and something like the icelink is that you can put your ipod out of site and be able to fully control and view song info from your factory radio. That was the biggest selling point for me.

Old 10-30-2010, 01:21 PM
wyovino is a jewel in the roughwyovino is a jewel in the roughwyovino is a jewel in the rough
Here's a photo of my set up. The iPod Touch is just velcro'd on and is holding up very well. The thick trim piece on right side of the console came with the car. It was used with the factory cell phone bracket. I originally removed it and replaced it with a standard trim piece, then put it back when I bought the iPod. I'm not sure if this set up is permanent yet. I would prefer a bracket that lets you swivel the iPod so you can take advantage of it's widescreen functions. The iPod touch has built in WiFi, so I can check email and browse the web while I'm waiting for my son at the train station. The sound is amazing compared to the FM transmitter that I tried first.

When turned off, the iPod is practically invisible from outside the car, which is nice. It's still easy enough to remove, but not necessary.

Attached Images  
Old 10-30-2010, 08:36 PM
capnnard is infamous around these parts
I have an '01 996 with a CDR-220. After contacting Bumperplugs they suggested I go the Becker cable route as the IceLink only works with fiber optic capable head units. These were not available until the 2003 model year.

Old 10-30-2010, 11:14 PM
alpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by capnnard
I have an '01 996 with a CDR-220. After contacting Bumperplugs they suggested I go the Becker cable route as the IceLink only works with fiber optic capable head units. These were not available until the 2003 model year.
For non MOST systems, there is a write up on Renntech.org for DIY iPod cable adapter for under $50.

Old 10-30-2010, 11:57 PM
wyovino is a jewel in the roughwyovino is a jewel in the roughwyovino is a jewel in the rough
If you want the cable from Becker that charges the iPod, it's now $110 + shipping.

I think the RennTech DIY involves 2 or 3 cables and does not charge the iPod.

Last edited by wyovino; 10-31-2010 at 12:10 AM.
Old 10-31-2010, 09:56 AM
TTUEE is infamous around these parts
I have an '04 996TT Cab and just had a Nav-TV IPOD interface installed. I haven't had a chance to use it yet. I will post with results.

Old 11-11-2010, 01:42 PM
Beaglehusky is a jewel in the roughBeaglehusky is a jewel in the roughBeaglehusky is a jewel in the rough
Question re SkyDock

Originally Posted by MiamiC70
I run an XM-Radio SkyDock and works great plus gives me SAT radio

Hey Miami,

I am pondering getting the SkyDock. Can you listen to the music in your ipod/iphone using the dock, or is it a xm-only option? Did you install it yourself? I had xm a few years ago and I remember having to put the magnetic antenna onto my roof, which was goofy-looking, especially with the wire all over the place. Unfortunately the pictures on the XM site do not show the antenna od any additional gear required for the connection.

Thank you in advance for your advice.

Old 12-28-2010, 03:39 PM
ronev is infamous around these parts
Beaglehusky, yes, you can play your iPod / iPhone music with the Skydock. You can pause the XM by tapping the power button on the skydock.

Make sure you have unlimited data plan (for internet) on your iPhone, as this uses a lot say, on a trip.

Yes, the antenna comes with it. Porsche owners using xm usually have the xm antenna glued to the plastic base of the windshield wipers, and the cable run into the boot lid, through to the dash area, and out say, an A/C vent close to the cig lighter.

I have both a 996 and a 993. I had to use a Skydock for the 996 as the Becker in it is a CDR023, which is a fibre-optic unit. You can't just plug in a cable for audio, and I wanted to keep the orig. radio. I'll eventually look for a Dice or Denison unit, but the Skydock works well.

In my 993 (CDR210), I have a Solisto Pro box (http://www.solisto.de/en/radios/porsche) mounted in the glove box. It's hooked to the 210 CD Changer port, and gives me either ipod/iphone audio and charges them, or a USB jack for thumb drives/SD discs, or a 1/8" jack for straight audio. This is a great unit, and you can control devices from the radio or the devices themselves.

Last edited by ronev; 12-28-2010 at 03:59 PM.
Old 12-30-2010, 12:48 PM
Beaglehusky is a jewel in the roughBeaglehusky is a jewel in the roughBeaglehusky is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by ronev
Beaglehusky, yes, you can play your iPod / iPhone music with the Skydock. You can pause the XM by tapping the power button on the skydock.

Make sure you have unlimited data plan (for internet) on your iPhone, as this uses a lot say, on a trip.

Yes, the antenna comes with it. Porsche owners using xm usually have the xm antenna glued to the plastic base of the windshield wipers, and the cable run into the boot lid, through to the dash area, and out say, an A/C vent close to the cig lighter.

I have both a 996 and a 993. I had to use a Skydock for the 996 as the Becker in it is a CDR023, which is a fibre-optic unit. You can't just plug in a cable for audio, and I wanted to keep the orig. radio. I'll eventually look for a Dice or Denison unit, but the Skydock works well.

In my 993 (CDR210), I have a Solisto Pro box (http://www.solisto.de/en/radios/porsche) mounted in the glove box. It's hooked to the 210 CD Changer port, and gives me either ipod/iphone audio and charges them, or a USB jack for thumb drives/SD discs, or a 1/8" jack for straight audio. This is a great unit, and you can control devices from the radio or the devices themselves.
Many thanks, and Happy New Year

Old 12-30-2010, 10:09 PM
MiamiC70 is infamous around these parts
As Beaglehusky said yes you can play iPod, XM, Pandora, Slacker and whatever else you want while the iphone is in the SkyDock. I installed the anntenna in the stock location under the alarm flasher which is where Porsche mounts theirs when car is equiped with NAV. Was easy install at local stereo shop for about $25.00 and the SkyDock also charged the phone which is great.

I have a CDR-23 as well and eventually I want to get a Denison ICE as well but for now and the cost it is a pretty good solution and sound on a scale of 1 - 10 is usually about an 8 or 9. Although being in Miami ocassionally I get some static from local stations overwhelming it but that is rare and just the way it is with most FM transmitter based solutions. Although, the XM also has a line out so once I get the Denison that may leave it and just us the line out to the Denison as i like the dock and charging capability of the SkyDock. I'll try and take pictures tomorrow for you and post.

Old 12-30-2010, 11:00 PM
If Skydock floats your boat, they are having a decent sale on them now for $56: http://www.6ave.com/shop/product.aspx?sku=AVXXVSAP1V1

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Anyone running their factory radio with iphone/ipod?