996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

DIY for replacing the Slave Cylinder?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-31-2010, 03:54 PM
TRSMatt has much to be proud ofTRSMatt has much to be proud ofTRSMatt has much to be proud ofTRSMatt has much to be proud ofTRSMatt has much to be proud ofTRSMatt has much to be proud ofTRSMatt has much to be proud ofTRSMatt has much to be proud ofTRSMatt has much to be proud of
DIY for replacing the Slave Cylinder?

so I get in the 996 today and the clutch drops half way to the floor, then engages. The 1st half of it's travel is totally useless/free, so I checked the Pentosin level in the reservoir and it looks bone dry in there.

Having the car detailed 2 weekends ago, the guy cleaning it says he noticed a little bit of oil leakage/splatter near the passengers side front wheel well, anybody think that's related?

Looking around the forum, I've learned that Pentosin doesn't just disappear on its own.

Looking into replacing the Slave Cylinder and Accumulator now, is there any how-to's on this?

Thanks guys

Old 11-01-2010, 09:46 AM
GREERJ1 is infamous around these parts
The clutch slave cylinder is mounted on the transmission, driver's side. The clutch master cylinder is mounted on the firewall, driver side also and gets it's fluid from the brake master cylinder reservoir. Pentosin is the power steering fluid and perhaps that is the leak you are seeing in the wheel well and would account for the low level in that reservoir. Is it that reservoir in the engine bay you are referring to? Anyway, the two are not connected and the clutch problem could be either the master or slave cylinders. Not an easy job because of the contortions one has to do for the master. The slave is a pita because the bolts are above and you are working blind. Have done them both.
Good luck.
Jim Greer

Old 11-01-2010, 06:35 PM
Dharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud of
Slave cylinder is a PITA but if you remove the rear wheel you can sort of see the cylinder and the bolts involved. 13MM as I remember.

Old 12-08-2013, 11:06 PM
Urban has a spectacular aura aboutUrban has a spectacular aura about
First I would like to apologize for bringing an old thread up but today I went to start my car and the clutch was rock hard, could hardly push t down but I did to start the car at which point it made a horrible noise. I then shut it off and looked under the car to see a leak and then opened the engine hood to see that there was fluid near the rear.
I checked on here and it looks like I have the power steering accumulator issue and will need to replace that along with the slave cylinder but wanted to ask a quick question......if I went with the GT2 conversion do I still need to buy the power steering accum. I think I do but wanted to confirm.

Appreciate ANY feedback.