996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Fuel door does not lock

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-02-2010, 08:06 PM
2001Porsche911 is infamous around these parts
Fuel door does not lock

Hi everyone,

I have a 2004 C4S and when I lock my car my fuel door does not lock, is there a fuse for this? Any ideas what the problem could be?

Thanls

Old 11-02-2010, 08:56 PM
scubadawg is a splendid one to beholdscubadawg is a splendid one to beholdscubadawg is a splendid one to beholdscubadawg is a splendid one to beholdscubadawg is a splendid one to beholdscubadawg is a splendid one to beholdscubadawg is a splendid one to beholdscubadawg is a splendid one to behold
Check inside by the hindge, there's a plastic clip that centers the pin, if it's missing, that can be one of the faults.

That was what wrong with mine, the pin goes in and out, but didn't lock

Old 11-02-2010, 11:34 PM
djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !
i think there is a manual release for it. you'll need to open it first to get a better look at it. the user manual should tell you where is the manual release. i have heard that the locking mechanism fails sometimes.

also, you can check the fuses in the driver foot well too.

Old 11-03-2010, 11:17 AM
wyovino is a jewel in the roughwyovino is a jewel in the roughwyovino is a jewel in the rough
With the fuel door open, lock and unlock your car with the remote. Does the solenoid engage and disengage? If yes, then the problem is most likely with the rubber collar. If no, then you may need to replace the solenoid unit.

Old 11-04-2010, 08:05 PM
M3Armand is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by scubadawg
Check inside by the hindge, there's a plastic clip that centers the pin, if it's missing, that can be one of the faults.

That was what wrong with mine, the pin goes in and out, but didn't lock
Scuba, I happen to have the same issue and did notice that the "center plastic clip" is missing. I saw that my Boxster S had it. So my question is, did you ever find yours? I.e. - did it somehow slip out and is hiding within the wheel well somehow? Seems like a common enough issue. My worry is that the dealer is not going to be able to carry "just this small part" (side note, although small part, I bet they'll be asking $20 for it).

Old 11-04-2010, 08:40 PM
scubadawg is a splendid one to beholdscubadawg is a splendid one to beholdscubadawg is a splendid one to beholdscubadawg is a splendid one to beholdscubadawg is a splendid one to beholdscubadawg is a splendid one to beholdscubadawg is a splendid one to beholdscubadawg is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by M3Armand
Scuba, I happen to have the same issue and did notice that the "center plastic clip" is missing. I saw that my Boxster S had it. So my question is, did you ever find yours? I.e. - did it somehow slip out and is hiding within the wheel well somehow? Seems like a common enough issue. My worry is that the dealer is not going to be able to carry "just this small part" (side note, although small part, I bet they'll be asking $20 for it).
I just ordered mine from the Porsche dealer, full retail was just over $2.00, I wasn't going to order online, cost me more to ship.
I'm in Canada, everything is special order from Porsche, took them 4 days to get in. It just pushes in from the fuel door opening and clips in.
Here's the part number: 997-624-505-00-M100
Guide Bushing for Fuel Door Release Rod, 996 Carrera/Carrera 4/Turbo (1999-05

http://www.pelicanparts.com/catalog/...pg2.htm#item11

Last edited by scubadawg; 11-04-2010 at 08:43 PM.
Old 10-13-2012, 09:47 PM
Hurdigurdiman is infamous around these parts
How do I get to the Gas door locking actuator? Does anyone know? Mine is not working and I can't lock the gas door. Is this door suppose to unlock as the car is unlocked?

Forget this post. Its supposed to open via central locking system. To get to it I remove the front wheel. Remove the cover under the wing/(fender for the yanks) then **** about putting a new one on.

Last edited by Hurdigurdiman; 10-14-2012 at 01:27 PM.
Old 11-25-2012, 08:05 PM
Hurdigurdiman is infamous around these parts
[QUOTE=Hurdigurdiman;3664156]How do I get to the Gas door locking actuator? Does anyone know? Mine is not working and I can't lock the gas door. Is this door suppose to unlock as the car is unlocked?

OK FORGET MY LAST POSTINGS... there was nothing wrong with the gas door actuator. My fault was coming from the alarm modual underneath the drivers seat. The modual had slipped back into 'transit mode' and could only be rectified by a Porsche Tester via the Special Menues diagnostic part of the alarm menu. When this was done, my gas cap locked again and the inside lights started to work as they should via the remote key. Total cost was $75 which I was well pleased with. So if any of you guys have problems with the locking gas door PLUS the inside lights not coming on, do as I did and get it rectified via the PIWIS tester or PST2 which only the Porcshe garages have in their possession. BTW this solve took me almost 18 months of posting to these boards. Apparently it is not a very well known procedure by the Porcshe world. The other name for the fault is STILL in "Hand over mode"... NOW IT IS.... I know of another two posters who got their same problems solved this way.