996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Coolant Expansion Tank Fail

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-09-2010, 09:40 AM
split is infamous around these partssplit is infamous around these partssplit is infamous around these partssplit is infamous around these parts
Coolant Expansion Tank Fail

[youtube]nPK62sejxW0[/youtube]

noticed a lot of steam coming from my engine bay when I got to work thsi morning, complete with a puddle of fluid under my driver side exhaust tip.

I'm assuming this is a coolant expansion tank failure?

Here are some 'high-res' blackberry smart phone photos:

Old 11-09-2010, 10:04 AM
Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by split
...I'm assuming this is a coolant expansion tank failure?
You should be able to tell by the smell if it is coolant - pretty unmistakable. If you are not familiar with the smell, remove the cap on the coolant tank and take a sniff.

Old 11-09-2010, 10:49 AM
JoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond repute
That's coolant. Check for the cap, hoses, clamps. otherwise is the tank. You won't be able to see the crack on the tank...

Old 11-09-2010, 11:01 AM
jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !
Probably the tank. I'm going to replace / update mine.
Funny thing... your screen name is split....your tank took it literally.

Sorry for the problem.

Old 11-09-2010, 11:16 AM
split is infamous around these partssplit is infamous around these partssplit is infamous around these partssplit is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by jjbravo
Funny thing... your screen name is split....your tank took it literally.
so i should change my screen name to 'NewTankInstalled'?

In all seriousness, I ordered a new tank and I'm hoping to install it this weekend. i'll post the results.

+rep to all for the feedback!

Originally Posted by Slider
You should be able to tell by the smell if it is coolant - pretty unmistakable. If you are not familiar with the smell, remove the cap on the coolant tank and take a sniff.
I'm certain its coolant, as the coolant level was low and it looked and smelled like coolant. The only thing i'm confused about is that it seems to be leaking inconsistently.

Old 11-09-2010, 01:17 PM
996Pilot is infamous around these parts
Looks like coolant - same way mine failed albeit at a slower leak rate than yours. Not as easy a job replacing than you'd think. You'll see when you get the new tank, what you see from the engine compartment is 10% of the tank, 90% is buried toward the rear seat. You may want to replace the level sensor and the cap as well.

Old 11-09-2010, 07:03 PM
MkC2S has much to be proud ofMkC2S has much to be proud ofMkC2S has much to be proud ofMkC2S has much to be proud ofMkC2S has much to be proud ofMkC2S has much to be proud ofMkC2S has much to be proud ofMkC2S has much to be proud ofMkC2S has much to be proud of
yep ...the old pesky coolant tank....didn't bother to do it myself...it's a PITA..replaced mine at RAC Performance...worth the $$$ & no more leaks..

Old 11-09-2010, 07:38 PM
jwhipple is just really nicejwhipple is just really nicejwhipple is just really nicejwhipple is just really nicejwhipple is just really nice
fyi, you might just want to try changing the cap first... that often fails and is an easier fix... I had the same thing and it was just the cap. :-)

Old 11-10-2010, 05:29 AM
nijoma has much to be proud ofnijoma has much to be proud ofnijoma has much to be proud ofnijoma has much to be proud ofnijoma has much to be proud ofnijoma has much to be proud ofnijoma has much to be proud ofnijoma has much to be proud ofnijoma has much to be proud of
Mine failed also

Whats with coolant tanks and ignition switches on these cars? They all seem to fail....

Old 11-10-2010, 09:13 AM
I've already ordered a new expansion tank and cap. However, i'm starting to wonder if the expansion tank has even failed because its leaking intermittently. It leaked a bit on the way to work yesterday and in the parkade, but since then hasn't done anything..

Old 11-12-2010, 11:19 AM
got the tank replaced yesterday and sure enough, it was leaking.

Also did my polyrib belt since i was in there and am almost finished installing a K&N intake.

I'm so not impressive with the K&N intake for this car. I spent at least 30minutes assembling it, which could have been done in advance for the customer. Additionally, im not impressived that I have to drill a hole into the car by the hoodlatch to add a mounting bracket. At least the price was right. I paid $295 shipped (to canada) and the competitors certainly charge a lot more.